Vrs or Elegance 4x4?

Evening all.

I'm looking to change from a Fabia to Octavia and I've found 2 low mileage examples but not sure which to go for. One is a 2004 1.8t 4x4 Elegance with 50k miles and the vrs is a 2005 with 66k miles, both are 2 owner cars with service history and priced around £3500. Any advice would be much appreciated.

4x4 turbo every day of the week. Nearly as fast as the vrs but with the added bonus of 4wd traction. The grip is superb with these things, had 2 very good examples of them. Is the 4x4 a silver estate one on ebay with a Dr owner? 

1 hour ago, turbotaxi said:

4x4 turbo every day of the week. Nearly as fast as the vrs but with the added bonus of 4wd traction. The grip is superb with these things, had 2 very good examples of them. Is the 4x4 a silver estate one on ebay with a Dr owner? 

Yeah that's the one, I've bought it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, turbotaxi said:

Thought it had disappeared. Sounds like a good well cared for car. 

Only 50k miles and full service history, found it purely by chance. Will need to start a project thread for it.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2017 at 23:34, Kenny130pd said:

Only 50k miles and full service history, found it purely by chance. Will need to start a project thread for it.

I was looking at this one too - there seems to be a lot of crap around a grand, then a bit of a gap till you get on towards £3,500 where you find stuff like this.

Disagree with the elegance being just as fast as the VRS, nowhere near.  It is already down on power a lot in comparison and the power is spread across 4 wheels instead of just 2 on the VRS.  You would have to drop the AUQ VRS engine in it or tune and remap it before you match a VRS.   Most would buy the 4x4 just purely for the 4 wheel drive then drop a tuned AUQ or BAM engine in to make it worth the while.  Although there is a lot more boot space in the elegance too.  From what I read also the 4x4 doesn`t really handle that much better than the VRS either because of its increased size/weight, it obviously makes a big difference in the Audi TT because it has a much better suspension setup, larger wheels and bigger arb's, but in a big car like the elegance your not going to get improvement in cornering unless you upgrade your suspension.  So there are no performance benefits in buying an elegance unless your prepared to do a lot of tuning. 

• Thanks 1

A simple remap and the 4x4 should skoot away from the lights like a missile. The vrs would eventually reel it in and pass it but initially I would be putting money on the 4x4. Both nice motors though in great condition and completely different to each other. The listed £3500 was too steep but £3000 was a bit more realistic. I decided on a Mk2 L&k  with 50000 at 3800 down in Wigan. Selling the old L&K for 400 quid as needs a an input shaft seal and friction plate. 

• Thanks 1