Buying new Octavia vrs 245 !!!

Morning all, 

Im new to this site so not even sure im asking in the right place so im sorry if im not. Please let me expain my situation.. Im currently serving in the Army over in Germany and one of the pearks is that we get tax free cars with a discount..  Im looking at buying a new Octavia 245 but i cant decided on colour. I know it will cause debate but its between Black and Meteor grey. I will only be keeping the car for a year and selling it on or trading it in. What would be the best colour to do that? 

Even though its a great colout im not sure if the meteor grey is a little boy racery without trying to offend anyone and could effect sell on. 

Any help would be great.

Edited by Adamleerobbo

Hello and welcome! Cant see there being a huge difference in resale value based on colour but if you want to play it safe then go for Black. The Meteor grey is a bit marmite. Black looks mean with the facelift too.

Edited by ahenners

I think i will be trading it in so not sure if the colour will matter. 

I love the black but hear its very hard to keep black looking good. 

Has anyone got a grey one and know how hard it is to keep clean and mark free.

9 minutes ago, Adamleerobbo said:

I think i will be trading it in so not sure if the colour will matter. 

I love the black but hear its very hard to keep black looking good. 

Has anyone got a grey one and know how hard it is to keep clean and mark free.

I have a Meteor Grey estate. Easiest colour car to keep looking okay I have had. It's the same colour as that dirty grey cement coloured road grime :biggrin:

Black is a nightmare, but in all honesty would be more likely to sell. I seriously doubt you will get any more for it as a trade in though, any difference would be marginal IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have a Meteor Grey Hatch, I've no Stonechips yet but I woud think the primer underneath would be the same colour as the top coat or near enough the same colour.

I beleive its white primer so your right it wouldnt show much. 

When you clean your car do you see

the swirl marks ? 

2 minutes ago, Adamleerobbo said:

the swirl marks ? 

Definitely white primer, stands out against blue and mine is battered with stone chips at the front.

You'll only see swirls if you induce them through technique etc. Black is going to be worse for swirls than Meteor Grey because it's darker.

I know you've not mentioned it but Moon White is an option. My last vRS was Candy White and my current Moon White. Chosen purely because it's our main family car and will be subject to the abuse that a wife and two kids throw at it. White has been the easiest colour to maintain for me. Looks great when clean and difficult to see swirls/minor scuffs too.  Appreciate it wasn't one of your options though, just something to think about though. 

Just now, SC03OTT said:

I know you've not mentioned it but Moon White is an option. My last vRS was Candy White and my current Moon White. Chosen purely because it's our main family car and will be subject to the abuse that a wife and two kids throw at it. White has been the easiest colour to maintain for me. Looks great when clean and difficult to see swirls/minor scuffs too.  Appreciate it wasn't one of your options though, just something to think about though. 

Thanks for your reply. I do like the white but i have a white car now and would like a change. 

Really cant decided from the black or the meteor grey. I like the grey for the less marks showing up but not sure how it will sell next year!!! 

Is grey colour coming in like the new white!! 

I think the black would look possibly the best but having a mk2 FL in black pearlescent, it is a nightmare for keeping clean and the slightest marks show up as scratches and chips show markedly.  Never owned black before and not sure I would again for a regular use car.

Grey is fine to my eyes but I would prefer white but have also read your comments about change. All my opinion of course!

No idea about resales but can't imagine it would be significant. Try some sell car sites now and see if colour makes any difference on car a few years old to the offer you get.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adamleerobbo said:

the swirl marks ? 

No but when he puts any lock on the steering wheel it sounds like the donkeys on Blackpool beach  :D

6 hours ago, Adamleerobbo said:

Thanks for your reply. I do like the white but i have a white car now and would like a change. 

Really cant decided from the black or the meteor grey. I like the grey for the less marks showing up but not sure how it will sell next year!!! 

Is grey colour coming in like the new white!! 

I had both an Octy and Fabia vRS at the same time, both Black Magic and both stunning for all of the first 30 mins after a wash.   VAG paint seems to be getting softer too which means that they do tend to chip and halo more easily but also are easy to correct too.  Something that will obviously be more visible on the darker colours. 

Not many MG vRS' around that I've seen but the ones I have look the dogs and it's defo the colour I'd go for, or possibly the Rio red....

7 hours ago, Adamleerobbo said:

How do you find your grey for stone chips. I hate stone chips!! Do they show up ? 

7 hours ago, Adamleerobbo said:

the swirl marks ? 

7 hours ago, ahenners said:

Definitely white primer, stands out against blue and mine is battered with stone chips at the front.

You'll only see swirls if you induce them through technique etc. Black is going to be worse for swirls than Meteor Grey because it's darker.

Yep, I have stone chips :dry: it is white primer, and they don't show up badly at all. Black will show every single one, been there, done that.