LED coding for octavia 111

Sweeperman

Hi there, quick question that im sure will be cleared up, a fellow forum member asked me to code some leds into his rear number plates, easy I thought, followed the forum sticky and first problem is that the german option doesnt come up, first its in english and after a bit of searching we tracked down some of the german to allow us to access the first change to led from bulb. But when trying to save the change we always get 'this interface does not support sending CAN messages 256 bytes and over in length' warning, its a proper cable and latest software update. Whats the matter you think? Have I unticjed or ticked a box wrong somewhere?

Cheers 

Well got a reply from Ross-Tech, and as a heads up for any future buyers of their cable and software, the message I got means that the vehicle is too new. The Hex-USB +CAN  cable will only support up to 2015 models to allow coding. To allow access to cars after 2015 you have to buy the HEX-V2 or HEX-NET devices. They are very kind :rolleyes: you can trade the cable in by posting to USA and for a mere £280 exchange they will send you a HEX-V2 limited to 10 VIN, or you can buy a new set up with unlimited VIN for 'only' £580. That price is madness in my opinion unless using for a business.  Hopefully that will be a useful bit of information for anyone thinking of buying a cable

Bear in mind the HEX-USB+CAN cable was designed over a decade ago so expecting Ross-Tech to future proof their design to last well over a decade by predicting the major changes that VAG would make to the CAN protocols would be tantamount to asking them to be psychic.

Technology moves on, and not all older devices are capable of upgrading only by firmware, and if you need new hardware then you have to pay - but Ross-Tech to offer a trade-in so at least you don't have to pay full price for a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET.

You mistake my post, im not expecting Ross-Tech to be psychic, seeing as no one was aware of this by the lack of replies, I was more passing on the information that if you own a newer than 2015 car, the chances of the 'normal' cable everyone talks about being suitable for coding of all components is slim. The information was to pass on what Ross-Tech told me, if you want to do newer cars you have to use the HEX-V2 or HEX-NET at considerable more expense even with the 'trade in'. 

12 hours ago, Sweeperman said:

You mistake my post, im not expecting Ross-Tech to be psychic, seeing as no one was aware of this by the lack of replies,

I mistook two things in your post for sarcasm:

17 hours ago, Sweeperman said:

They are very kind :rolleyes:

'only'

I wanted to offer the perspective of a retired electronics designer on how difficult it is to try and future-proof anything you design.

4 hours ago, Sweeperman said:

I dont think I ever questioned that anything was future proof? 

The implied sarcasm your post seemed to suggest that you wanted either a firmware only upgrade or a better trade-in deal.

• 7 months later...

hello,

i have Octavia 5e 2013 model, and when i try to set number plate lights to LED, i got this error using HEX-V2 Dual-K & CAN cable. I am using VCDS Release 17.8. Is maybe problem with VCDS version? Should i upgrade to newer one VCDS 18?

15 hours ago, vran22 said:

i have Octavia 5e 2013 model, and when i try to set number plate lights to LED, i got this error using HEX-V2 Dual-K & CAN cable. I am using VCDS Release 17.8. Is maybe problem with VCDS version? Should i upgrade to newer one VCDS 18?

Might help if you posted the error message :sadsmile:

It's always worth having the latest version of VCDS installed, updates are free so why not?

46 minutes ago, vran22 said:

Here i uploaded image. I have tried to update to a newer version but still the same problem. 

IMG_20180413_194130.jpg

That's because you're using a HEX-USB+CAN lead - which has run out of code space to be able to deal with the longer CAN messages on newer cars.

The only cure is to upgrade to a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET lead - taking advantage of the Ross-Tech trade-in deal.

Edited by SWBoy

23 hours ago, SWBoy said:

That's because you're using a HEX-USB+CAN lead - which has run out of code space to be able to deal with the longer CAN messages on newer cars.

The only cure is to upgrade to a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET lead - taking advantage of the Ross-Tech trade-in deal.

But in cable says HEX-V2.. or the seller sell me fake.. cause i bought it already usable..

IMG-9ed89761c7efea5d4232dcc1ecf913d8-V.jpg

1 hour ago, vran22 said:

But in cable says HEX-V2.. or the seller sell me fake.. cause i bought it already usable..

Check with Ross-Tech (the manufacturers of VCDS and genuine cables), they will tell you if it's a rip-off copy or genuine.

Email them at [email protected]