3 Bike Cycle carrier needed

Fitzwilliam

Hi, I've just been forced to downsize from a Skoda Rapid Tsi to a Citigo Greentech 60, on the Rapid I had a towbar and a cycle carrier that mounted to it. This isn't possible on the Citigo as Skoda has not given the car a towing  rating, even if it were possible it would be problematic as my car has rear parking sensors fitted. Can anyone advise if they use a different type successfully on a Citigo. The only one I've seen online which is a possible is the Saris Bones 3 but it may not work with the downward sloping bumper lip on the Citigo.

Can anyone advise,

Cheers

Steve

I bumped another thread on cycle carriers.

?

What weight of bikes are you intending hanging on the rear of the Citigo?

You can not fit a Towbar due to no Type Approval Weights submitted by VW / Skoda, 

You can fit a Ball for a Bike Carrier due to it not being for Towing, a Grey Area, but some Insurance Underwritters agree, some do not, 

and some MOT Examiners understand the difference..

The issue is finding the appropriate Mounting Kit which is not a 'Towbar'. or a Towing Ball but a Mounting Ball or Hitch.

http://smart-tow.com/cycle.htm 

Pics just from Google Images, Up / Citigo cycle carriers

vwtb50384.jpg

9464ae810a444292cdd231a6b6767abb.jpg

post-115653-0-48270200-1399821836.jpg

vwcc50424.jpg

vwcc50428.jpg

36363b22f77a8cae1c049343d5c3a497.jpg

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I've been in touch with Wiggle, one of the UKs largest cycling equipment distributors and asked their advice, they have recommended the Saris Bones 3 hatch mounted carrier, they even emailed me a photo of one fitted to a Citigo.

Having had a bad experience with the last hatch carrier I owned which damaged the rear hatch and paintwork on my Honda Jazz I intend to take precautions to avoid anything similar happening, admittedly the carrier was not very good quality, the Saris has a much better design and is very well respected.

I'd heard a hitch not approved for towing could be fitted but that it was a bit of a grey area with regard to insurers, it would also cause problems with my car having rear parking sensors, with a hitch fitted the sensors alarm would activate every time I selected reverse gear

• 3 weeks later...

Took Wiggles advice and got a Saris Bones 3, a mint condition used one off eBay, in yellow to match my car. Very impressed with the design and engineering,. Easy to setup, pair of pads at top of rear screen bottom pair flat against the bottom of the rear hatch just above the bumper. Only tried it with a single bike so far but seems to be very secure.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fitzwilliam said:

Took Wiggles advice and got a Saris Bones 3, a mint condition used one off eBay, in yellow to match my car. Very impressed with the design and engineering,. Easy to setup, pair of pads at top of rear screen bottom pair flat against the bottom of the rear hatch just above the bumper. Only tried it with a single bike so far but seems to be very secure.

Can you post up a picture of it fitted? I need to get something for mine

36595897984_f4a6b30571_b.jpg

The carrier shown in the photo is the more expensive Superbones 3 which has ratchet straps integrated into the legs, the Bones 3 is exactly the same frame but secured by straps that go through the central aluminium spine.

Edited by Fitzwilliam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What do they show as the weight limit?

EDIT. 

Saris SuperBones 3 £332.00 (wiggle) 3 bikes 35lb / 15.87 kg weight limit. 

I use a cheap carrier on the back of my Alhambra, but i have it so the weight is on the bottom rail & on the top rail with foam on both & there is just mostly tension on the top hanging straps sharing the weight.

Only 2 light bikes gets put on it, & just if needs must as bikes go inside usually.

Or just frames with wheels off.

DSCN1517.JPG

DSCN1504.JPG

DSCN1525.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki

They quote the weight limit as 45kg, most adult MTBs are about 12-14kgs, for my own peace of mind I use an offcut of some cushion flooring under the bottom pads to lessen the chance of damaging the paintwork although the rubber pads are of good quality. Most of the weight though is taken by the 2 top straps, the composite construction is very sturdy and only the outriggers holding the bikes flex slightly under the weight of the bikes.

Edited by Fitzwilliam
  • Like 1

35 lb / 15.87 kg  is the given weight limit in the wiggle / tredz ad, for the Saris SuperBones 3.  (carrier weighs 18.5lb / 8.4 kg)

I see Saris 2 is £121.98

Don't pay the full whack there are lots of nearly new ones on eBay I paid £80 for mine. Edit: just checked the instruction manual, it quotes a max load of 105lbs so 35lbs per bike.

Edited by Fitzwilliam
  • Thanks 1

EDIT. Thanks muckle,

Evans Cycles clearly say in their ad 35lb per bike, so that is good  47kg.

My Fatbike is 16kg & my Electric bike is 24kg, they need a tow bar rack really.

Luckily riding is easier than lifting.

3 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

My Fatbike is 16kg & my Electric bike is 22kg, they need a tow bar rack really.

Those 2 together weigh 83.6lbs but anything other than a small kids bike for the 3rd would push it over the weight limit. 

i always put the heaviest bike closest to the car to minimise the leverage which I think is sensible if you're near the carrying capacity.

Really they are too big / long with wheels on for going up on racks, XL's, 

normally they are in the back of a pickup truck for easy transporting.