What is on your retrofit wishlist?

Having recently purchased an Elegance Mk3 TDI Octavia with some optional extras, now i've spent more time in researching and comparing other cars, i have a growing list of retrofits!

List yours here and perhaps those who have been on a similar journey can share their experiences and tips.

Mine so far are:

- Bi-xenon headlamps with AFS hooked up as OEM

- Front parking sensors linked into Amundsen as OEM

- Swap Amundsen with Columbus

- Install a wireless QI phone charger into the phonebox/ashtray

- Front and rear footlights installed as OEM

The wireless charger is definitely of interest should the IPhone 8 come equipped for it.

Also interested in an engine/cabin pre heater, as those winter mornings in the countryside hey pretty chilly! Looking at the Calix range which you can plug into the house.

I've got a 15 plate 1.4 TSi SE DSG hatch and my wishlist includes:

Cruise control

Apple CarPlay

Xenon lights

And...

Independent rear suspension!

The brittle rear ride has always been the biggest bugbear with the Octy for me and one of the reasons I went for an SE instead of the Elegance: one the Elegance I tested before purchase, the lower-profile tyres made the ride unsettled. The taller tyres on the SE make it tolerable but patched and potholed surfaces still catch it out.

Quite lucky in that I found one with a decent spec:

Columbus + Colour Maxidot, Canton, Park Assist with front sensors, Winter pack (heated screen + front seats + washer nozzles), Crew Protect Assist, Front Assist, High Beam Assist, Cruise Control. This is in addition to the decent spec as standard; Bi Xenons with AFS, Rear Sensors, Lane assist etc.

Planning to retrofit the OEM footwell lights for front and rear using the LED units from the Golf 7. Can be done much cheaper but prefer OEM stuff.

Would also like a full leather interior as mine is only half leather + cloth, but would probably opt for a retrim if the car stays long term, rather than finding a cheap heated set from a write off.

Adaptive cruise would also be a nice retrofit and presumably not impossible with already having the front radar.

16 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

My retrofit wishlist is short:

Audi TTRS 2.5 TFSI engine.

Brakes to cope.

I'll keep everything else as it is, thanks.

No Quattro conversion to go with that? 

On ‎8‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 15:20, wg100 said:

The wireless charger is definitely of interest should the IPhone 8 come equipped for it.

Also interested in an engine/cabin pre heater, as those winter mornings in the countryside hey pretty chilly! Looking at the Calix range which you can plug into the house.

Would the IPhone 8 actually fit in the bay? Like cars, it seems each new model gets bigger. 

On ‎8‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:57, MorrisOx said:

I've got a 15 plate 1.4 TSi SE DSG hatch and my wishlist includes:

Cruise control

Apple CarPlay

Xenon lights

And...

Independent rear suspension!

The brittle rear ride has always been the biggest bugbear with the Octy for me and one of the reasons I went for an SE instead of the Elegance: one the Elegance I tested before purchase, the lower-profile tyres made the ride unsettled. The taller tyres on the SE make it tolerable but patched and potholed surfaces still catch it out.

Cruise control on mine and pretty well mandatory for longer journeys (ACC and AEB are now standard on all new Octavia in Australia).

The standard halogen headlights are adequate for me in the dry but a little more power is needed when wet but I'll only get Night Breaker or X-treme if one of the existing bulbs blows. Xenon's are just too expensive and complicated for me.

Where we have complete agreement is on IRS.

I honestly have no problems with the torsion bar on road but our dirt roads get heavily corrugated and my old mk2 irs (and 16 inch wheeled) 1.9pd estate used to soak up the bumps like no other car I have owned including a couple of awd soft SUV.

When you look underneath all the required bolt holes seem to be there but unless you can get hold of a suitably front-end damaged donor vehicle then I would think it an expensive exercise.

Would be nice if the estate roof rails were removable and blanking plates available, I think I have only used them 3 times in 3 years.

2 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Would the IPhone 8 actually fit in the bay? Like cars, it seems each new model gets bigger. 

According to leaked photos the iPhone 8 will physically be between the iPhone 7 & iPhone 7+, but with a bigger display than either as it goes right to the edges.

My iPhone 7+ won't fit in the bay, but I don't know if the iPhone 7 does.

On 07/09/2017 at 21:11, hpoct said:

Having recently purchased an Elegance Mk3 TDI Octavia with some optional extras, now i've spent more time in researching and comparing other cars, i have a growing list of retrofits!

List yours here and perhaps those who have been on a similar journey can share their experiences and tips.

Mine so far are:

- Bi-xenon headlamps with AFS hooked up as OEM

- Swap Amundsen with Columbus

- Install a wireless QI phone charger into the phonebox/ashtray

- Front and rear footlights installed as OEM

Have you done the front parking sensors yet?

Edited by daykes1

On 10/09/2017 at 07:44, daykes1 said:

Have you done the front parking sensors yet?

Nope, i havent done anything yet! Had the cars for 3 weeks.

I think my priority is xenon headlamps, have always wanted them! but it's not that straightforward.

I would like & would be very interested to find out what's involved/cost for:

- Bi-xenon headlamps 

- Radar adaptive cruise control

- All bulbs replaced with LED bulbs, starting with the puddle/mirror lights!

- Amundsen unit replaced with the Columbus system

9 hours ago, hpoct said:

Nope, i havent done anything yet! Had the cars for 3 weeks.

I think my priority is xenon headlamps, have always wanted them! but it's not that straightforward.

Ah fair enough. Yeah I would like them as well but I'm guessing it they would be an expensive upgrade?

I'd be surprised if you see change from €/£2k for Xenon done correctly and legally. Headlamp washers, self-levelling and then the units themselves won't be cheap, never mind the fitting time.

ACC is complex if you don't have the correct radar bits in place and they're coded to the car; I looked briefly into this and came to a personal estimate of €1.5k to do it afterwards. 

All bulbs replaced with LEDs - the puddle lights are fine but the others are illegal.

I also don't see the point in the nav with Columbus. I had it in a rental and would not have paid for it, even less have upgraded afterwards. It's also coded to the car IIRC to stop theft / sale.

- Bret

Additions to my 65 plate vRS would be 1. Adaptive Cruise control

2. Folding mirrors

3. Park assist.

4. Full size spare wheel

5. Rear window tints.

20 hours ago, stanian said:

Additions to my 65 plate vRS would be 1. Adaptive Cruise control

2. Folding mirrors

3. Park assist.

4. Full size spare wheel

5. Rear window tints.

I also wanted a full size spare wheel as I drove to Italy a few weeks after buying my 2014 Octavia. However, Skoda wanted £130! So went looking online found a brand new black steel rim for £32 & had a £30 tyre put on it. Pretty sure the rim spec (offset etc) will be the same. Do you want the details?

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:22, brettikivi said:

I'd be surprised if you see change from €/£2k for Xenon done correctly and legally. Headlamp washers, self-levelling and then the units themselves won't be cheap, never mind the fitting time.

ACC is complex if you don't have the correct radar bits in place and they're coded to the car; I looked briefly into this and came to a personal estimate of €1.5k to do it afterwards. 

All bulbs replaced with LEDs - the puddle lights are fine but the others are illegal.

I also don't see the point in the nav with Columbus. I had it in a rental and would not have paid for it, even less have upgraded afterwards. It's also coded to the car IIRC to stop theft / sale.

- Bret

Xenon lights - Ah ok, well as much as I like the car, that's a little pricey!

ACC - Did you already have the radar fitted before you started?

LED's - understand the LED headlights would be illegal but I've bought & fitted genuine Skoda LED rear lights. Noticed its an optional extra.

Columbus satnav - I only wanted this as I find the Armundsen screen a little small.

Useful info cheers Bret

On 9/9/2017 at 14:25, Gerrycan said:

Would be nice if the estate roof rails were removable and blanking plates available, I think I have only used them 3 times in 3 years.

we've had 2 Octavia estates since 2010 (they overlapped for 3 years) and have never used the roof rails on either of them. I probably never will. But I think the car would look strange without them

12 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

we've had 2 Octavia estates since 2010 (they overlapped for 3 years) and have never used the roof rails on either of them. I probably never will. But I think the car would look strange without them

There were a few early pre FL 230 estates came through without them. As you say, looked strange.