Broken engine mount on the Yeti:( only collected it on Tuesday

Jimi182

As noted in my other post, Mrs 182 and me collected our April 2016 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti on Tuesday.

The car had 2900 miles on it was in great condition.  We agreed a price and it was due a first service, this carried out on Monday and we collected the car on Tuesday.  We did about 100 miles on Tuesday and it felt good, but noticed a knocking sound coming from the front left when going slowly over some speed bumps.

We noticed it again on Wednesday and yesterday booked the car in to be checked over by the dealer.  I left it off this morning and got a call not long ago to tell me they discovered that an engine mount was broken, the part is on order, a courtesy car is being arranged and our car should be ready next week.

Mrs and me are a bit disappointed, but I'm looking your thoughts on the whole thing.  It has dented our confidence in the car and their service.  It seems to me this issue has been going on a long time, and what's really bothering me is why wasn't this picked up in the service and the multi point check that was supposed to be carried out as it was a Skoda Approved Used car.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by Jimi182

I don't think it's just 'one of those things' Ken.  This car was serviced and should have had a multi point check, which should have picked it up.  We only noticed the noise when going slowly over speed bumps, we went over a few at a slightly higher speed and the noise didn't occur.  Imagine we hadn't of went over any bumps and never noticed the knocking...

I would agree with Ken, it is just one of those things that happen with mechanical things. I have never seen a similar report in the 6 years I've been here.

It's being sorted out, at no cost to you, and the car will be fine afterwards. Don't worry about it.

• Like 1

@Jimi182 - So you would be prepared to pay the extra to have had all the main castings, forgings and pressings on the car non-destructively tested before buying it? (about a week's work at a dealer rate of at least £50 an hour) If not, then I'm afraid that you're saying that you do not accept that a stress raiser on a component is invisible to inspection and can cause it to break unexpectedly.

Edited by KenONeill

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

@Jimi182 - So you would be prepared to pay the extra to have had all the main castings, forgings and pressing on the car non-destructively tested before buying it? (about a week's work at a dealer rate of at least £50 an hour) If not, then I'm afraid that you're saying that you do not accept that a stress raiser on a component is invisible to inspection and can cause it to break unexpectedly.

Ken,

I have spoken to two independent mechanics this afternoon who have both stated this would and should have been picked up at the service/inspection and resolved then.

Thanks,

Jimi182

1 minute ago, Jimi182 said:

Ken,

I have spoken to two independent mechanics this afternoon who have both stated this would and should have been picked up at the service/inspection and resolved then.

Thanks,

Jimi182

Well that's their opinion. I did an HNC in Metallurgy at college and mine is that not all stress raisers and cracks are visible to the naked eye. What would be damning (although I'd still say this is a one-off occurance) would be if there was corrosion inside the crack.

10 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well that's their opinion. I did an HNC in Metallurgy at college and mine is that not all stress raisers and cracks are visible to the naked eye. What would be damning (although I'd still say this is a one-off occurance) would be if there was corrosion inside the crack.

Fair enough Ken, but with only 2900 miles on the car, was this a faulty component?  It does seem to be a big issue in the early life of a car?

Also, the fact that there was a knocking noise from the front left, this would indicate something was loose that shouldn't have been?  So would this not have been easier to spot/pick up in a service/inspection?

Thanks

Jim

Edited by Jimi182

56 minutes ago, Jimi182 said:

Fair enough Ken, but with only 2900 miles on the car, was this a faulty component?  It does seem to be a big issue in the early life of a car?

Also, the fact that there was a knocking noise from the front left, this would indicate something was loose that shouldn't have been?  So would this not have been easier to spot/pick up in a service/inspection?

Thanks

Jim

I've no issue with saying that the component was faulty, particularly if there was corrosion inside the crack, since that would pretty definitely prove that it left the factory like that. What I'm saying is that occasionally factory QC fails to pick up on something like that but normally there's no associated pattern of similar premature failures, and I wouldn't draw a negative conclusion from a single failure case.

Edited by KenONeill

That is not something I imagine gets inspected. Maybe bushes down the line. Hair line cracks in alloy are so tiny to pick up.

Its an area of mounting that gets lots of stress from gear changing etc so if it was not perfect to start then would certainly show problems quickly.

Main thing is it is fixed quickly and to your satisfaction.

sorry to hear of your predicament Jim, I can understand how disappointing it must be for you and the missus, it does make you wonder about the history of the car.

stay calm as you've and let then fix it, then go to another skoda garage or an independent for them to put it on the ramp and give a thorough checking over (springs bushes, joints etc - as it may have been over rough terrain or flying over speed bumps etc). This will either put your mind to rest or highlight other issues. Remember that under the approved vehicle scheme you've 30 days to give the car back to them and choose another to the same or greater value - they won't like it but they have to honour it.

as for the multipoint checks, I rang skoda UK requesting a copy of the checklist, but they couldn't even tell me what it comprised advising that I needed to contact the dealer. 

most important thing is never trust a car dealer (specially second hand) - they only want your cash and will tell you anything they think you want to hear.

good luck

I don't know about the Yeti, but in my day engine and gearbox mountings would occasionally break, and often it would never be noticed unless there was a knocking evident or if the engine had to be removed for some other reason. 

I never knew of any metal cracking; engine mounts were basically a 'metal sandwich', with rubber being the 'filling', and if they failed it was always the rubber that cracked and with the weight of the engine compressing the rubber any cracking  was virtually impossible to see....

Jim

Edited by muddyjim

2 hours ago, Halford said:

sorry to hear of your predicament Jim, I can understand how disappointing it must be for you and the missus, it does make you wonder about the history of the car.

stay calm as you've and let then fix it, then go to another skoda garage or an independent for them to put it on the ramp and give a thorough checking over (springs bushes, joints etc - as it may have been over rough terrain or flying over speed bumps etc). This will either put your mind to rest or highlight other issues. Remember that under the approved vehicle scheme you've 30 days to give the car back to them and choose another to the same or greater value - they won't like it but they have to honour it.

as for the multipoint checks, I rang skoda UK requesting a copy of the checklist, but they couldn't even tell me what it comprised advising that I needed to contact the dealer. 

most important thing is never trust a car dealer (specially second hand) - they only want your cash and will tell you anything they think you want to hear.

good luck

That's interesting about the multi point check. I'll be asking the dealer for a copy from car on Monday. I have a friend who works for a well known new and used car dealer here in NO.  He noted that engine and gearbox mountings are part of the standard check that they must carry out on all used cars that come in and has even found some with issues that are resolved. 

J

Just came across this whilst searching through the forums. Thought I'd add I had to replace a gearbox mount on my 100k mile fabia a while ago as it wore out. Fitted a genuine replacement part and torque to spec etc and after a few thousand miles I heard a bang sound. Checked car over and nothing obvious so ignored it. Then started knocking as i was slowing down hitting bumps. I was driving home one day and accelerated away fairly quickly and there was a loud bang. Turns out new mount had cracked and sheared in half. Im not saying i gave the car a full mechanical inspection when i first heard the noises but I did investigate underneath and couldn't see anything wrong.

I know its a different car and different situation but its the same principal that there are always 'faults' within a batch of parts. I wouldn't worry in the slightest that it is the start of things to come. I would ignore what everyone says about how it may have been 'abused'. A part like an engine mount is built and tested to take extreme abuse so should not fail. You have had bad luck that the mount fitted to your car probably had a fault when it was fitted at factory but never picked up on. Can you really expect a dealer to do a full detailed check on EVERYTHING on a used car? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimi182 said:

I don't think it's just 'one of those things' Ken.  This car was serviced and should have had a multi point check, which should have picked it up.  We only noticed the noise when going slowly over speed bumps, we went over a few at a slightly higher speed and the noise didn't occur.  Imagine we hadn't of went over any bumps and never noticed the knocking...

Then it's entirely likely that the dealer wouldn't have heard it either. As long as they are dealing with the

fault properly then it's not worth losing sleep over. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Quite.

Imagine having that particular fault in the same scenario with a dealer who doesn't care about the customer. You'd have to start arguing about when it was discovered, how it happened, why it happened, Consumer Rights Act, etc.

As it stands, it's a fault which may or may not have been noticeable at the time of sale, may or may not have happened after the sale to the customer, is being addressed by the dealer with no problems at all, a courtesy car has been arranged in the interim, and as far as I can see the whole issue should be just put down to a dealer doing the right thing.  coffee.gif

They might not have heard it, but as I said above, I'm aware that engine and gearbox mounts are subject to check in some other dealer's checks on used cars. It'll be interesting to see if it's the case with Skoda. If it's not, I'll be be happy that they're fixing it, if it is and wasn't picked up, then I think we'll be handing the car back, fixed or not. 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, clarendon462 said:

Yeah just take it back will save all the complaints on here every time something minor happens and they offer to fix it for you. 

I wouldn't call a broken gear box mount a minor issue. Also, it's covered under warranty so they have to fix it. I'll probably delete this thread in a few days after everyone has had a chance to read. 

Jimi182,

Only 2,900 miles in 17 months, but you never know where these 'Management cars, Demonstrators, Hire Cars, Courtesy Cars etc etc Media Cars have been.

So was it first Registered to Skoda UK or a Dealership, 

Best ask in writing what the supplying dealership knows about the cars history from delivery to first registration till they sold it to you.

Could have been a Motalility car and returned early, lots are being removed from people as they lose their benefits, but they go to BCA (British Car Auctions) 

but then can end up back in the Dealership Networks.

Clutch failure, piston rings, steering rack etc are not minor things. A gearbox mount is pretty minor in comparison. 20 mins to change one probably easier than doing an oil and filter change. Yes it is covered under warranty, but they could have turned around and said it was your fault for hitting something and causing damage. They didn't and have agreed to sort it including a courtesy car so i do not see what the big deal is. Threatening to hand back the car seems a bit extreme to me but each to their own.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimi182 said:

I wouldn't call a broken gear box mount a minor issue. Also, it's covered under warranty so they have to fix it. I'll probably delete this thread in a few days after everyone has had a chance to read. 

Sorry, but as many of us have said, it is a minor issue. It's being fixed so forget about it.

And if you haven't realised it yet, you never delete anything from the internet, it is always there, no matter what you do.

And I don't think you can delete this thread from here anyway.