Front wheel bearing genuine or OEM?

Hi guys! I've got the dreaded pulsating droning noise which seems to be quite a wide spread problem on the Octavia looking at other people's posts. Mines between 70 and 80mph. I've narrowed it down to the near side front wheel bearing as I've fitted GY eagle F1's and had a 4 wheel alignment and it's still present. I wondered if there was a manufacturer that make wheel bearings to a higher standard than the genuine ones? I'm not to worried about the cost as long as they last! I've got a 2013 VRS tsi 220 and at 47k I don't feel the bearings have done well at all. So as I say if genuine is the best I'll get those but if there are better quality ones out there im all ears!

thank you in advance 

Interesting. I've just bought a genuine n/s/f bearing for mine from eBay for £60, it's been getting steadily worse for a while since hitting a pothole. Car only has 20k miles.

Dealer would have done under warranty but as they are an hour away it would have meant a half day off work. Getting a local indy to fit and do tracking instead.

They do seem to be made from cheese, I know of a few that have had replacements at low mileage.

Yeah it's weird isn't it!? I thought 47k was bad! I've looked on Euro car parts website and they only list 1 which is £170!! Haven't got a genuine price yet but £60 was a bargain! Does it come as a bolt-on unit with hub as oposse to a press in bearing?

As I mentioned above all I'm after is the best off the shelf option so I'm not forever replacing wheel bearings.

I had one wheel bearing fail at 3K miles and the second one fail at 25k miles all done under warranty and I am so glad I took out the extended warranty. I think it is just your luck if it fails as I only drive 5k miles a year.

My car has covered 47k too and is due to go in for wheelbearing(s) in a few weeks time. I too had the tyres replaced thinking this was the cause and an alignment check, but to no avail. A difficult one to diagnose as both bearings and tyre drone due to uneven wear seem to be an issue with our cars.

22 hours ago, Smiffy337 said:

Yeah it's weird isn't it!? I thought 47k was bad! I've looked on Euro car parts website and they only list 1 which is £170!! Haven't got a genuine price yet but £60 was a bargain! Does it come as a bolt-on unit with hub as oposse to a press in bearing?

As I mentioned above all I'm after is the best off the shelf option so I'm not forever replacing wheel bearings.

This is what I bought, but cheaper - same part number. Deffo no hub...

Screenshot_20170909-215814.thumb.jpg.c0147a76c9033fba3303edd54a96ca28.jpg

Oh yeah, no that's what I meant , the hub flange rather than literally just the bearing itself. Much easier to fit this type due to not having to use a press. Well that's one good thing I guess! I will go for a genuine one then I think. Thank is for your help

Glad the noise is gone for you, I was going to get alignment done and mess with tyres but the supplying garage can have a look under the approved used warranty when it goes in for its service.

Thanks for posting the outcome.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2017 at 20:51, coloneldolomite said:

My car has covered 47k too and is due to go in for wheelbearing(s) in a few weeks time. I too had the tyres replaced thinking this was the cause and an alignment check, but to no avail. A difficult one to diagnose as both bearings and tyre drone due to uneven wear seem to be an issue with our cars.

I am pleased to say that two new front wheel bearings have been fitted today and the noise I was experiencing has gone. 51,000 miles.