Fabia pd100 clutch slipping.

IMAGES

Hi the clutch in my fabia started slipping, however the clutch is not worn all the way down to the rivets which im told is when the clutch would start slipping.

I have seen a black greasey substance on the side of the flywheel where the starter teeth are.

Any help is grateful thanks.

Edited by Furbypd1000
Insert link for images

2 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

You have an oil leak which has contaminated the friction plate causing the clutch slip.

The only remedy is to replace the bearing/seal causing the oil leak and replace the clutch.

Managed to remove the flywheel, cant really tell if the oil is coming from the sump seal or the rear crankshaft seal (idk if thats the right part).

20170909_132828.jpg

20170909_132742.jpg

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I would say the crank seal because it's under pressure rather than the sump where it isn't and would tend to just run down and not spray about, how bad is the friction plate, does it look varnished?

I agree, the sump leaking wouldn't get flung around like it has been doing and probably wouldn't have ruined the clutch.

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

I would say the crank seal because it's under pressure rather than the sump where it isn't and would tend to just run down and not spray about, how bad is the friction plate, does it look varnished?

Friction plate looks okay too me, but this is the first time ive changed a clutch.

20170908_134118.jpg

10 minutes ago, Furbypd1000 said:

Thanks.

How hard is this too change?

Easy, gently pry the old one out, clean everything up, lube the new seal and gently tap it into place with a soft-faced mallet by tapping all the way round it until it's completely seated.

Thanks for that, I presume the flywheel bolts onto the flange thats in the pic of the engine ? Is it the same clutch on a 2007 VRS SE ?

Edited by sparky2

6 minutes ago, sparky2 said:

Thanks for that, I presume the flywheel bolts onto the flange thats in the pic of the engine ?

Yeah thats where it goes and also it had a single mass flywheel, ive got an image of it somwhere ill post it when i can find it.

Edited by Furbypd1000

Looking at the parts catalogue, it seems the seal itself (item 14) isn't available, you buy the seal plus flange (item 15, 06A103171A), which might be even easier to replace.

What year's the car? Just change the date at the top of the linked page to check the part number is right for yours.

24 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

That's the pressure plate, I'd fit a complete new clutch if I were you.

Oh my bad haha, yeah the plan is to change the clutch but im worried something else caused it too slip as it didnt look too worn down however it was slipping like mad before i took it off.

Just dont want to put it back together and find that the clutch starts slipping again.

6 minutes ago, Wino said:

Looking at the parts catalogue, it seems the seal itself (item 14) isn't available, you buy the seal plus flange (item 15, 06A103171A), which might be even easier to replace.

What year's the car? Just change the date at the top of the linked page to check the part number is right for yours.

Year of the car is 2002.

Thanks

If its a case of unbolting the seal with the carrier and putting a new one on it shouldn't be hard to change.

Looks like you have had a rub in gearbox. Can you determine which part has been rubbing from the clutch parts you have?

9 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

If its a case of unbolting the seal with the carrier and putting a new one on it shouldn't be hard to change.

Looks like you have had a rub in gearbox. Can you determine which part has been rubbing from the clutch parts you have?

Yes, easier by far, however the pressure plate rubbing the gearbox casing has to be caused by excessive crank endfloat which has probably also caused the crank seal failure. So we're dealing with a more complex issue here. I assume the thrust washers are built into one of the main bearings rather than separate which rather suggests the engine has been oil-starved at some point.

• Like 1

Daughters car is a pd100 2002 mk1 Fabia, and no doubt I will end up changing it !  also son has a VRS SE 2007 which has clutch wear.

2 minutes ago, sparky2 said:

Daughters car is a pd100 2002 mk1 Fabia, and no doubt I will end up changing it !  also son has a VRS SE 2007 which has clutch wear.

Ok, maybe start your own thread when you need help then dude, because we're trying to help a guy with his car in bits right now.