Traffic Programme

I bought my new Fabia estate just three weeks ago so have mainly only driven it locally (Tees).

On a trip to Dewsbury last Saturday I noticed that the only traffic reports received were from the BBC Tees station (which is the only BBC local station I have stored on preset (both DAB and FM). I had the radio playing Planet Rock at the time on DAB.

This is the first car I've had with a DAB radio (Bolero) but in previous cars, playing an FM station, I've been used to the traffic programme picking up the closest BBC station traffic news depending where we have been driving. On the trip in question I would normally have expected to pick up traffic reports from BBC York and BBC Leeds as well.

I have had a look in the manual but can't find any reason why this should be. Do I have to set up something extra to pick up traffic news from multiple stations?

Yes, there is a 'TP' button. That is set correctly as far as I know (either on or off according to the manual).

As I mentioned in the OP, the problem is that I appear to be only receiving reports from BBC Tees, not from other BBC local radio stations.

It depends if your local station presses the button before the traffic announcement to make units switch over to them 

Back in the day when  tp and RDS first started  non BBC stations weren't allowed to force radios to switch over not sure if the same applies 

Have you tried switching to FM.for a time and seeing if it switches like it used to 

• Thanks 1

I haven't tried FM because I've only had the car a short time and only been out of area once. However, I know that the TP system works when listening to a DAB station because, as per the OP, it does broadcast the Tees announcements. The user manual gives no indication as to any difference between operation when listening to an FM station as against a DAB one.

I shouldn't have thought it would be the button press because Tees, York and Leeds announcements are normally the same presenter from the same physical control room. We travel between Teesside and West Yorkshire fairly regularly and are used to the traffic announcements popping up one after another (often also get Humberside as well). For that reason I could understand one button press being missed but not several in a trip taking 2 hours each way.

I think non-BBC stations can interrupt now because the manual mentions something about "ghost" signals coming from non-traffic announcing stations. However, that wouldn't apply because all the stations I was expecting are BBC.

Turned the TP setting on out of interest and their I am running round in Newcastle listening to mellow magic and I get a traffic update for Tees Side which is best part of 40 miles away so not very useful i noticed it's an FM channel and wondered if TP only works locally on FM programs I know radio Newcastle gives out traffic updates so this should break into the dab radio station you are listening to  Joe

• Thanks 1

Depending where one is on Teesside one often picks up BBC Newcastle TAs as it covers Wearside as well. The areas covered by (at least some) BBC stations is quite wide. In the case of Newcastle, many people from the station area work on Teesside so BBC Tees broadcasts are relevant to them.

TP normally works by picking up broadcasts covering the area one is driving in, the ones from different stations overlapping each other. That is why I was surprised, when travelling to West Yorkshire, that I didn't receive TAs from York and Leeds as I drove through the areas which they cover.

It looks as though my experience of only receiving Tees TAs on an out of area trip might have just been a quirk of the day as my wife mentioned, a few minutes ago, that she heard a TA from BBC Newcastle whilst driving yesterday.

The only difference was that she was listening to Radio 2 DAB broadcast rather than Planet Rock.

We shall see how it goes :) Thanks to all who replied.

On 10/09/2017 at 08:49, GrahamHadfield said:

I bought my new Fabia estate just three weeks ago so have mainly only driven it locally (Tees).

On a trip to Dewsbury last Saturday I noticed that the only traffic reports received were from the BBC Tees station (which is the only BBC local station I have stored on preset (both DAB and FM). I had the radio playing Planet Rock at the time on DAB.

This is the first car I've had with a DAB radio (Bolero) but in previous cars, playing an FM station, I've been used to the traffic programme picking up the closest BBC station traffic news depending where we have been driving. On the trip in question I would normally have expected to pick up traffic reports from BBC York and BBC Leeds as well.

I have had a look in the manual but can't find any reason why this should be. Do I have to set up something extra to pick up traffic news from multiple stations?

Hi Graham I have found a fix for traffic reports on DAB radio.   Turn on radio go to Setup>advanced settings>DAB traffic announcements and tick box. I am now getting BBC radio Newcastle traffic updates instead of Tees side. Turn system off and on with TP button :) Joe

2 hours ago, GrahamHadfield said:

Hello Joe.

Thanks. I've just had a look and it was already set up like that.

As per my last post I think it may have been just a coincidence on the day in question. We shall see :)

Hi Graham the only other thing I did was to tick all the boxes. I'll turn the traffic back on it might be all to do with the strength of the BBC signal the strongest one getting through or maybe a different gremlin in the system. Must admit the DAB radio is really good. Joe

When I looked at my car, Joe, the boxes were already all ticked.

Reception of a particular station depends on where you are but there is some overlap between them.

Areas vary in size. For instance BBC Newcastle covers Tyneside, Wearside, Northumberland and Durham whilst BBC Tees covers Teesside, County Durham and some of North Yorkshire.

When we have driven up to Tyneside in previous cars we have received both Tees and Newcastle TAs depending where we have been when they come on.

Hi Graham out with a friend on Friday approaching the Tyne tunnel from Washington traffic info coming from Radio Tees side after going through tunnel traffic updates coming from Radio Newcastle really strange that we were getting info from Stockton/Middleborough area so close to Newcastle Joe

As we said earlier, Joe, there is overlap between broadcast areas. For somebody travelling south, information about traffic on Teesside could be relevant as they leave the Tyne Tunnel. They could divert via the A1 to avoid trouble further down the A19.

9 hours ago, GrahamHadfield said:

As we said earlier, Joe, there is overlap between broadcast areas. For somebody travelling south, information about traffic on Teesside could be relevant as they leave the Tyne Tunnel. They could divert via the A1 to avoid trouble further down the A19.

This makes perfect sense Joe

• Like 1

Strange thing. Whilst my wife was out just now I did a bit more research on-line and came across a menu setting I thought I may not have tried before. When she came back I went out to the car to try it, only to be greeted with "BBC Newcastle traffic report just came on as I got home" from her. She had Planet Rock on at the time. I checked the settings again and all was as expected.

We went up to Gateshead last Friday and only received Tees reports, not Newcastle (which we thought we should have received at some time during the return journey.

Maybe it's just coincidence or the BBC has changed some settings - but it certainly appears that the radio settings are OK :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, updates are given out at different times, Joe.

For instance, as mentioned previously, Tees, York and Leeds announcements are normally the same presenter from the same physical control room. He does one after the other, which is what I got on Wednesday.

43 minutes ago, GrahamHadfield said:

Yes, updates are given out at different times, Joe.

For instance, as mentioned previously, Tees, York and Leeds announcements are normally the same presenter from the same physical control room. He does one after the other, which is what I got on Wednesday.

I think we are winning regarding the vagaries of the BBC traffic updates :D

Joe

• Like 1