Mk3 245bhp vs mk2 sharked 240

stever750

Been away from skoda and the forum for a couple of  years or so, until yesterday. Intrigued what the differences are in real world performance between say the new vrs octy with 245bhp and a remapped mk2 that would have similar. At the time, the effect of the remap was pretty big, so is the difference between the mk2 and mk3 cars just as big or is it list in additional weight or completely different torque curves? 

Apologies if in the wrong forum, wasn't quite sure where to ask the question. 

Maybe the Audi only S Tronic? (It's the DL500/501 box)

The Golf R / Cupra had the DQ250 box fitted, all of the current Skoda versions use the same box. From my  own and other VAG users experience, the DQ250 is fine up to 500Nm, though the torque limiter means 1-3 is not that quick, and 4-6 is where the real action is. You can remap the gearbox, but of course you risk overheating the clutch plates unless you upgrade the clamp pressure etc etc. My Cupra was measured at 520Nm and I never once had an issue with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Škoda_Octavia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox

Name Orientation Ratios Max. torque (N·m) Clutch type
DQ200 Transversal 7 250 Dry
DQ250 Transversal 6 400 Wet
DQ380[20] Transversal 7 380 Wet
DQ381 Transversal 7 420-430 Wet
DQ500 Transversal 7 600 Wet
DQ511 Transversal 10 550 Wet
DL382 Longitudinal 7 400 Wet
DL501 Longitudinal 7 600 Wet

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 20:24, Auric Goldfinger said:

My 230's got 24 forward gears, 6 in Eco, 6 in normal, 6 in individual and 6 in sport........... Oh! and 4 reverse......

AND a black spoiler.  Don't forget the black spoiler B)

On 12/09/2017 at 20:24, Auric Goldfinger said:

My 230's got 24 forward gears, 6 in Eco, 6 in normal, 6 in individual and 6 in sport........... Oh! and 4 reverse......

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

AND a black spoiler.  Don't forget the black spoiler B)

AND a black spoiler, forgot to mention the black Spoiler, silly me................

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:08, stever750 said:

More gears? Have VAG developed a new 7 speed wet clutch DSG then?

Yup, same as the S3 and / or S5 Im still awaiting confirmation on which it is taken from :)

but as far as I know

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/10/2017 at 10:29, ClarkyStu said:

Yup, same as the S3 and / or S5 Im still awaiting confirmation on which it is taken from :)

but as far as I know

VRS245 gets the DQ381 box which is reasonably new. Same box in the Golf R and S3 facelifts. Not sure about the S5 but think that has the bigger DQ500.

Edited by ahenners

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 19:53, ahenners said:

VRS245 gets the DQ381 box which is reasonably new. Same box in the Golf R and S3 facelifts. Not sure about the S5 but think that has the bigger DQ500.

Awesome, thankyou for the confirmation :)

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 19:53, ahenners said:

Actually iv just done some more digging and it looks as if the DQ381 is for the 4x4 and the DQ380 is the standard front wheel drive (Which we have on the 245)

The DQ380 has ALOT worse numbers against it compared to the DQ381 any other info you have at all?

1 hour ago, ClarkyStu said:

Actually iv just done some more digging and it looks as if the DQ381 is for the 4x4 and the DQ380 is the standard front wheel drive (Which we have on the 245)

The DQ380 has ALOT worse numbers against it compared to the DQ381 any other info you have at all?

It was a German article which quotes the DQ381 in the 245:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fahrberichte/skoda-rs-245-fahrbericht-topmodell-12078308.html

They could be wrong though I guess

Edited by ahenners

18 hours ago, ahenners said:

It was a German article which quotes the DQ381 in the 245:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fahrberichte/skoda-rs-245-fahrbericht-topmodell-12078308.html

They could be wrong though I guess

I hope they are right, although a different box does make sense.
Iv heard from day 1 it was the same box as the S3 (and can take so much more) so I hope that isn't now falling apart :'(

5 minutes ago, ClarkyStu said:

I hope they are right, although a different box does make sense.
Iv heard from day 1 it was the same box as the S3 (and can take so much more) so I hope that isn't now falling apart :'(

What's interesting is that you mentioned the box is for 4wd applications, yet I think most of the car's that have this box are Haldex based i.e. mostly fwd until 4wd is required. I wonder if DQ381 can easily be adapted/installed in an FWD for this reason. Perhaps someone with better technical/VAG knowledge will know for sure.

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

What's interesting is that you mentioned the box is for 4wd applications, yet I think most of the car's that have this box are Haldex based i.e. mostly fwd until 4wd is required. I wonder if DQ381 can easily be adapted/installed in an FWD for this reason. Perhaps someone with better technical/VAG knowledge will know for sure.

Yeah it was from one of the engineering pages for VW.

I am genuinely interested as the 381 is rated to I think 800 torque and the 380 is only rated to 370

(245 is 350 as far as I know)