Gaz's Mk2 vRS Blackline

CookieMonster87

I've been on the Forum a few months now and thought it was about time to share a few pictures of the Octavia and what I've been doing so far/plan to do in the future!

I was looking to PX my Ford Fiesta ST-2 for something a bit more, comfortable, refined and practical due to the impending arrival of our first child and the likelihood of increased mileage with work.

I was on the lookout for a vRS and came across this Mk2 FL CR170 Blackline being sold by a Performance and Prestige car dealer which they had sourced from a private seller. It had 48k miles on the clock and a full Skoda service history. After negotiating a good PX for myself and the inclusion of a cambelt and water pump change I took the plunge!

It's been 3 months and I've covered roughly 3000 miles since taking ownership and I have to say I'm very happy with my first Skoda! Cheap to insure, tax is reasonable and I'm averaging 52mpg on BP Ultimate Diesel with enough poke to pull the odd overtake too! The space over the Fiesta has also been a massive help although I do miss the agility and poke of the ST (was Stage 2 tuned by Collins Performance with a Mongoose exhaust system, Airtec Intercooler and ITG Induction Kit).

IMG_7151.thumb.JPG.1f9b37e6d08714a70db2dca3f121cd02.JPG

I've replaced all the old Skoda badges with the new version.

IMG_7152.thumb.JPG.9b8cbc0fa51f357923fccb3883703835.JPG

I chose to have the windows professionally tinted from the B Pillar back to keep the UV rays/temp down in the back for the little'un (that and I think it looks pretty cool).

IMG_7149.thumb.JPG.582ce0a26a88f181771e9c43709adf50.JPG

I cheated when it came came to colour coding the grill surround and had it professionally wrapped gloss black.

IMG_7148.thumb.JPG.d37d21bbbb9943657f5c4f77705acebc.JPG

A bit of Autosol on the exhaust tips!

IMG_6948.thumb.JPG.e546a3f1f3d2fd1b4fda728f8c772760.JPG

The chrome and plastic on the original gear lever was looking a bit worn so replaced the assembly with a new one that had the silver text/detailing on the insert. Red trimmed mats with vRS logo fitted too!

IMG_6949.thumb.JPG.061af559b4945b8159303a9a39daa4c9.JPG

It hasnt all been plain sailing though, the aircon developed a whistle shortly after purchase which was resolved with an aircon service and re-gas at Skoda who also gave the car a reassuring once over and thumbs up.

The boot latch also developed a tempromental fault in that it sometimes would not relay that it had been opened and was replaced with no more issues to report!

Plans for the future, in no particular order;

• The car is almost 5 years old and would benefit from a paint correction detail to appease my OCD.

• The boot spoiler could do with a respray as it has a slight paint chip.

• Replace interior and rear number plate lights with LEDs.

• Fit a front splitter (undecided on the Superskoda DTM or the Triple R version or to it at all as may not appeal to all at resale).

• Stage 1 Remap, still doing the research on this one, Shark, Revo and Celtic are up there at the minute though!

• Royal Steering wheel retrim. Undecided if it'll suit this type of steering wheel or on what colours/materials to go for.

I'll be keeping an eye on the Forum as I've found it very useful and friendly with plenty advice so far. No doubt I'll come across some of you at meets in the future!

In the mean time, feel free to rate or slate, any advise on my plans for the future would also be much appreciated!

Edited by CookieMonster87
  • Like 4

Thanks for the comments!

Wind deflectors, now there's an idea. I do like to have the windows open in the summer, hoping it'll save on the aircon which I use all the time with the Climair set on Auto (I assume this is correct). Maybe one for next summer!

21 hours ago, tonyblue said:

Interested in how you get on with the steering wheel retrim. The site looks interesting, any idea how much would they'd charge you?

I've been quoted between £135 and £145 depending on the materials. I'm still unsure on this at the minute though.

I wouldn't mind going for a thicker feel with new leather to replace the shiny, smooth stuff on there now. Maybe with an alternating green and red stitch.

1 hour ago, CookieMonster87 said:

I've been quoted between £135 and £145 depending on the materials. I'm still unsure on this at the minute though.

I wouldn't mind going for a thicker feel with new leather to replace the shiny, smooth stuff on there now. Maybe with an alternating green and red stitch.

B)B)B)

• 4 months later...

Haven’t had much time of late to do much on the car due to the arrival of our little boy and work commitments.

I had an issue with my instrument cluster LEDs failing over the Christmas period but thanks to the Forum I was able to get it sorted quickly at a reasonable cost courtesy of Cartronix.

So now I have a new set of bright LEDs with a lifetime guarantee in my instrument cluster!

Edited by CookieMonster87

@bullawayo

I got the Part Numbers from this thread;

And ordered them from;

http://www.skodaparts.com/

I've just had a look through your project thread. I do like the Estate and yours looks like its in great condition. Also keen on the DTM Splitter myself so will be interested to see how yours turns out if you get it done.

How do you find that Black Pearlescent?

I'm hoping to have the car fully detailed and paint corrected in the summer as I think that's where mine is let down a bit. I know it's done 55k miles so is bound to show some wear and tear from the odd stone chip or swirl from careless cleaning in the past (not by me I mite add). I've also noticed some paint peeling around the edges of the spoiler where it meets the boot and around the number plate on the front bumper so may get those looked at too although from what I gather it's fairly common. Dam my OCD!

On 2/1/2018 at 18:58, CookieMonster87 said:

@bullawayo

I got the Part Numbers from this thread;

And ordered them from;

http://www.skodaparts.com/

I've just had a look through your project thread. I do like the Estate and yours looks like its in great condition. Also keen on the DTM Splitter myself so will be interested to see how yours turns out if you get it done.

How do you find that Black Pearlescent?

I'm hoping to have the car fully detailed and paint corrected in the summer as I think that's where mine is let down a bit. I know it's done 55k miles so is bound to show some wear and tear from the odd stone chip or swirl from careless cleaning in the past (not by me I mite add). I've also noticed some paint peeling around the edges of the spoiler where it meets the boot and around the number plate on the front bumper so may get those looked at too although from what I gather it's fairly common. Dam my OCD!

thanks mate. I'll try and get some badges.

My paint work is very good, but I did look around before finding the right one. Its obviously been well looked after in the past. Black pearl comes up well!

I'll be getting mine detailed and machine polished in the summer. Do it with all my cars as I have a friend in the business. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2017 at 17:25, CookieMonster87 said:

I've been on the Forum a few months now and thought it was about time to share a few pictures of the Octavia and what I've been doing so far/plan to do in the future!

I was looking to PX my Ford Fiesta ST-2 for something a bit more, comfortable, refined and practical due to the impending arrival of our first child and the likelihood of increased mileage with work.

I was on the lookout for a vRS and came across this Mk2 FL CR170 Blackline being sold by a Performance and Prestige car dealer which they had sourced from a private seller. It had 48k miles on the clock and a full Skoda service history. After negotiating a good PX for myself and the inclusion of a cambelt and water pump change I took the plunge!

It's been 3 months and I've covered roughly 3000 miles since taking ownership and I have to say I'm very happy with my first Skoda! Cheap to insure, tax is reasonable and I'm averaging 52mpg on BP Ultimate Diesel with enough poke to pull the odd overtake too! The space over the Fiesta has also been a massive help although I do miss the agility and poke of the ST (was Stage 2 tuned by Collins Performance with a Mongoose exhaust system, Airtec Intercooler and ITG Induction Kit).

IMG_7151.thumb.JPG.1f9b37e6d08714a70db2dca3f121cd02.JPG

I've replaced all the old Skoda badges with the new version.

IMG_7152.thumb.JPG.9b8cbc0fa51f357923fccb3883703835.JPG

I chose to have the windows professionally tinted from the B Pillar back to keep the UV rays/temp down in the back for the little'un (that and I think it looks pretty cool).

IMG_7149.thumb.JPG.582ce0a26a88f181771e9c43709adf50.JPG

I cheated when it came came to colour coding the grill surround and had it professionally wrapped gloss black.

IMG_7148.thumb.JPG.d37d21bbbb9943657f5c4f77705acebc.JPG

A bit of Autosol on the exhaust tips!

IMG_6948.thumb.JPG.e546a3f1f3d2fd1b4fda728f8c772760.JPG

The chrome and plastic on the original gear lever was looking a bit worn so replaced the assembly with a new one that had the silver text/detailing on the insert. Red trimmed mats with vRS logo fitted too!

IMG_6949.thumb.JPG.061af559b4945b8159303a9a39daa4c9.JPG

It hasnt all been plain sailing though, the aircon developed a whistle shortly after purchase which was resolved with an aircon service and re-gas at Skoda who also gave the car a reassuring once over and thumbs up.

The boot latch also developed a tempromental fault in that it sometimes would not relay that it had been opened and was replaced with no more issues to report!

Plans for the future, in no particular order;

• The car is almost 5 years old and would benefit from a paint correction detail to appease my OCD.

• The boot spoiler could do with a respray as it has a slight paint chip.

• Replace interior and rear number plate lights with LEDs.

• Fit a front splitter (undecided on the Superskoda DTM or the Triple R version or to it at all as may not appeal to all at resale).

• Stage 1 Remap, still doing the research on this one, Shark, Revo and Celtic are up there at the minute though!

• Royal Steering wheel retrim. Undecided if it'll suit this type of steering wheel or on what colours/materials to go for.

I'll be keeping an eye on the Forum as I've found it very useful and friendly with plenty advice so far. No doubt I'll come across some of you at meets in the future!

In the mean time, feel free to rate or slate, any advise on my plans for the future would also be much appreciated!

I’m after new gear for Blackline you remember where you got it from ??? Part number ??

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I last visited the Forum so apologies for the lack of replies to the comments above.

On 05/02/2018 at 20:49, Tim1631 said:

I’ve got some window shades that would suit your car perfectly ;)

Are these all around wind deflectors? I believe the previous owner had some fitted at some point as I can see pressure marks on the window seals. With all this good weather these would come in handy although I'm sure you've had success moving these on since you posted.

On 21/02/2018 at 09:54, Webber1888 said:

’m after new gear for Blackline you remember where you got it from ??? Part number ??

What are you specifically after?

I've now owned the car for a year and have just put it through it's first MoT and Service at a Main Dealer which it flew through with nothing to report, just how I like it!

On a more negative note I've just had to replace the 2 front tyres due to a slow puncture originating from a split on the inside wall of one so I treated it to some Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. 

I'd also noticed that a large number of insects were starting to accumulate in one of my headlights. Turns out the large rubber cover wasn't even fitted. No sign of it either so I fitted a new replacement after removing the lights (very easy by the way) and giving them a blast out. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...