looking at buying an Elegance or L&K. Just a few questions

28 minutes ago, jonathan.tong said:

FaceLift model. Wikipedia says that it was introduced in mid 2013, so if yours is a 2014 then it should be identical to ours.

The heated screen is controlled by a new button (near the climatronic), vaguely similar to the rear heated window button, but "windscreen shaped").

It's the button to the left of the A/C button as seen here:

Interior.thumb.jpg.3d38435536e9e28a1082582cee33a016.jpg

• Like 1

Great replies everyone, thank you. Every car has some drawbacks, we ruled out a lot of other cars for various reasons and of the ones we tested the Superb was the only one which ticked most of the boxes. I think we're likely to preserve with trying to buy a good one. If it is an option to get the engine mapped if it has had the "fix" then that sounds like a good solution if we run into any problems.

3 hours ago, jonathan.tong said:

Thinking about it, ours is the FL model if that makes any difference.

The FL model can make a difference - they added a few things in Ireland anyways - options like heated rear seats, auto park, LED lights as well as the Bi-xenons etc.

I looked at an L&K at the same time as my FL Elegance. The main differences (excluding engines and gearbox) were the 18 Sirius alloys, uprated sound system, seat ventilation and panoramic sunroof, leather embossed with "Laurin & Klement" and TV tuner).

4 hours ago, jonathan.tong said:

heated rear seats and LED lighting (I think not on Elegance)

Standard on the FL Elegance (in Ireland. I shouldn't assume it would be in the UK).

5 hours ago, jonathan.tong said:

We have a 2014 2.0 CR170 DSG L&K and it averages about 55mpg on the computer. This probably translates into 50-53 (about 5%) and that's reasonably confirmed by us averaging 600miles per tank of fuel. We've never used the park assist, but do appreciate the front parking sensors that are included. We also like the heated front screen, heated rear seats and LED lighting (I think not on Elegance). We don't like the 18" wheels (less supple ride) and would have probably spec'd 17" if we'd have known.

Maybe they've bucked their ideas up on later cars, mine is around 10MPG optimistic, I generally see figures similar to yours (unless I'm trying to be economical when ill see around 63-65) but checking miles run/gallons to brim full calculates to around 43.

Mine^s a 140 BHP, don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by Gdcobra

13 hours ago, TheRobinK said:

I looked at an L&K at the same time as my FL Elegance. The main differences (excluding engines and gearbox) were the 18 Sirius alloys, uprated sound system, seat ventilation and panoramic sunroof, leather embossed with "Laurin & Klement" and TV tuner).

Forget the tv tuner. I don't deny it can be useful if stuck in a traffic jam but the radio is more likely to have traffic information. And the reception is not great.

The leather seats look great but are poor quality leather, the bolster on mine had worn through at 11k miles, probably due to wearing jeans constantly.

The air cooling is a big plus though, heated rear is fantastic.

You either love the panoramic or you don't... thankfully I do.

1 hour ago, superbdreams said:

The leather seats look great but are poor quality leather, the bolster on mine had worn through at 11k miles, probably due to wearing jeans constantly.

I have found the L&K seats far more comfy than the leather ones on the Elegance - real upgrade. MIne are in perfect condition after far more miles

• Like 1

I didn't have ventilated seats on the L&K so they weren't perforated but I have to admit, the leather seats were that bit more comfortable in the L&K I had compared to the Elegance model.  The quality was better too as I put equal mileage on both Superbs, both over three years and the L&K definitely came out best in terms of seat condition.  The uprated sound system (Canton) was nice however, I now have the standard system in my current Superb and don't notice much difference anymore.  Also, as you can see from the above posts, the specs vary somewhat from country to country so direct comparisons are not possible.

23 hours ago, Superb170 said:

I didn't have ventilated seats on the L&K so they weren't perforated but I have to admit, the leather seats were that bit more comfortable in the L&K I had compared to the Elegance model.  The quality was better too as I put equal mileage on both Superbs, both over three years and the L&K definitely came out best in terms of seat condition.  The uprated sound system (Canton) was nice however, I now have the standard system in my current Superb and don't notice much difference anymore.  Also, as you can see from the above posts, the specs vary somewhat from country to country so direct comparisons are not possible.

Did you notice any difference in the clutch pedal? My elegance is pre FL and 5 speed, the L&K FL and 6 speed, but the clutch is far stiffer on my 5 speed

13 minutes ago, S00perb said:

Did you notice any difference in the clutch pedal? My elegance is pre FL and 5 speed, the L&K FL and 6 speed, but the clutch is far stiffer on my 5 speed

I had two 170s and the clutch was pretty much the same in both from what I remember however, the clutch in the Greenline has always been heavier - I've often had 1.6tdis on loan from the garage and this was the first thing I noticed.  If your 1.6 has a single mass flywheel, this may be the issue.  The 170 will have (unless someone has changed it) a DMF (dual mass flywheel) anyway which will be smoother with much less vibration.

1 minute ago, Superb170 said:

I had two 170s and the clutch was pretty much the same in both from what I remember however, the clutch in the Greenline has always been heavier - I've often had 1.6tdis on loan from the garage and this was the first thing I noticed.  If your 1.6 has a single mass flywheel, this may be the issue.  The 170 will have (unless someone has changed it) a DMF (dual mass flywheel) anyway which will be smoother with much less vibration.

That could be it - mine is the greenline. Never noticed it was heavy till I got the 2.0 L&K