Two questions

Tony R

Firstly , where has the 1.5 ltr petrol engine got to?, I think it is already being installed in some V A G  vehicles, so why not in the Skoda range?  My existing Superb,although coming up to 7 yrs old has only just gone over the 20,000 mile mark, and 95% of those few miles are motorway.  But in London, diesels are being given a hard time  both by Mayor S K  and local authorities are on the verge of upping the parking permits SUBSTANTIALLY for diesels, so the switch to petrol seems on the cards, hence the interest  in the new engine, which has been in existence for almost 2 years, so where is it?

Secondly,  am I alone in thinking the Superb in either body form ,is nicer looking than the Kodiaq and is  equally practical, especially in Estate form as it can have roof rails which the Kodiaq can't , and I think the Kodiaq  cannot have a panoramic roof. So unless one intends going off-road, apart from the 7 seater, what is the point of the Kodiaq? which simply  would be a Chelsea Tractor? . London is awash with them, MOSTLY driven by females, with possibly young kids on board ,to and from schools?.

15 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

I don't understand the reference to females (they can drive, you know), but the Kodiaq does have roof rails and can be ordered with the panoramic roof.

I don't understand the comment re females, did anyone say they couldn't drive?.   As for the additions on top of the Kodiaq, the situation there has changed as earlier neither were available.

Looks are a personal thing.

I've had wagons (7) ,SUVs (5) and people movers (4) and have no preferences providing they do the job I ask them to.  SUVs are slightly more versatile as you don't have to think to much about spoon drains, driveways and speed humps.

My preference for the SUV shape this time is because for me the shape is attractive and because I like the slight extra height - a better view when driving and I'm fed up of having to launch myself upwards when getting out of my current Superb. (I don't have the luxury of parking my main car in the garage or on the drive, so always have a kerb to negotiate.)

8 hours ago, Tony R said:

Secondly,  am I alone in thinking the Superb in either body form ,is nicer looking than the Kodiaq and is  equally practical, especially in Estate form as it can have roof rails which the Kodiaq can't , and I think the Kodiaq  cannot have a panoramic roof. So unless one intends going off-road, apart from the 7 seater, what is the point of the Kodiaq? which simply  would be a Chelsea Tractor? . London is awash with them, MOSTLY driven by females, with possibly young kids on board ,to and from schools?.

The Kodiaq can, and does have roof rails.

The Kodiaq can have a panoramic sunroof, it's in the configurator.

The point of the Kodiaq is that it's an 'SUV' or sports utility vehicle.  Kitten and I are going for a Kodiaq or Karoq early next year, as we love the designs, rugged looks, extra ground clearance, 4x4 capability, and sheer space and practicality.

We also live 270ft above sea level and up two fairly significant hills.

I used to own a Honda Accord Tourer, and Kitten owned a Toyota Yaris.  During the VERY chilly and snowy weather we had in Sussex in 2009 and the beginning of 2010, we ventured out in the Honda to go to the supermarket for food supples, and had severe difficulty getting back up the last part of the hill to get home.  We had to 'chip away' at the icy road surface in order to make any progress, progress that was hampered by traffic heading down the hill so our task was doubly arduous.

In April 2010 we chopped both our own cars in to get the Yeti and it was the 4x4 capabilities that we wanted the most.

We still want the 4x4 option in case we ever have the icy weather back again, it will make our lives soon much easier.

Yes, there are other 4x4 vehicles around, but not like the Yeti, karol or Kodiaq.  ;)

Edited by Macdemon

• Administrators

the 1.5 tsi is in the Octavia now ;) My guess it will appear in the Superb and others later. Perhaps not in the fabia though, maybe... who knows!

• New 150PS engine available to order now
  • Development of previous 1.5 TSI unit combines performance with efficiency
  • Fuel consumption of up to 57.7mpg on the combined cycle
  • CO2 emissions from just 113g/km

ŠKODA is expanding its petrol engine line-up and meeting strong demand for petrol power with the addition of a new 1.5 TSI engine to the Octavia range. Available to order now, the new four-cylinder 1.5 TSI unit develops 150PS and features Active Cylinder Management (ACT) and common rail direct injection.

A substantially updated version of the existing 1.4 TSI unit, it develops 250 Nm of torque from just 1,500 rpm and is packed with a host of new technologies designed to boost efficiency and performance. 

Available on SE, SE Technology and SE L models, the engine features a new, fully-variable, map-controlled oil pump, and a polymer-coated first main crankshaft bearing and more efficient indirect intercooling unit with improved cooling performance. 

According to all the reports I have read, they are putting the 1.5 TSI into the new Karoq in November. As a Karoq is a size down from the Kodiak, I dont see how they can't follow suit.  MY2019 maybe... 

• Thanks 1

My wife is getting the Kodiaq and she carries our kids - My bad!

That aside getting young kids in and out of a taller car is much easier on the back in an SUV rather than a saloon or estate also loading the boot of an SUV is a lot easier too. Oh and theres the driving position. Also the Kodiaq looks awesome, modern, chunky and different to most competition.

On 9/12/2017 at 13:45, TheRobinK said:

According to all the reports I have read, they are putting the 1.5 TSI into the new Karoq in November. 

a 1.5 TSi with a 110kW 7-speed DSG is available as an engine on the Karoq within the configurator on the German skoda pages

It would appear  the options available have changed since earlier ones published by Skoda,  comments made re more convenient height  make sense but I could not buy one as it appears no spare wheel is available, nor a dual level boot area, the first  is an absolute essential as far as I am concerned and the second I find very useful in my present  Superb Estate.

19 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

You can't get variable boot floor with spare wheel sadly, didn't know this until I ordered my car. 

But where do you store the thing, especially in a  7 seater?. As those who buy a Kodiaq  presumably do so for off-road use (apart from those in Chelsea )  and a spare wheel  would be most essential as I doubt the  A A and other Rescue agencies would be keen to go off road themselves?.

27 minutes ago, Tony R said:

But where do you store the thing, especially in a  7 seater?. As those who buy a Kodiaq  presumably do so for off-road use (apart from those in Chelsea )  and a spare wheel  would be most essential as I doubt the  A A and other Rescue agencies would be keen to go off road themselves?.

Not sure what you mean by the "thing", but i assume you mean spare wheel. The 7 seater has spare wheel standard below/behind the 3rd row. 

It's pretty obvious that anyone wanting to properly go off road would get a Discovery Sport or with the Kodiaq pick the spare wheel over the variable boot floor. 

24 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Not sure what you mean by the "thing", but i assume you mean spare wheel. The 7 seater has spare wheel standard below/behind the 3rd row. 

It's pretty obvious that anyone wanting to properly go off road would get a Discovery Sport or with the Kodiaq pick the spare wheel over the variable boot floor. 

Matters are becoming rather  " complicated " as one minute we are told  no  variable boot  floor  and MAYBE  no spare wheel ,now we have  the latter  and  variable boot floor. One explanation is maybe  specifications vary from one country to another?

It is pretty sure that very few even in the UK take even a Discovery Sport Offroad other than on a Caravan Site, or maybe a grass carpark, 

they might go down some un-tarred tracks or trails, maybe even a Greenlane, but not offroad.

Skoda never built an offroader, neither do VW, Audi or Seat just SUV's, and some might be Suburban Utility Vehicles & 

some Sport Utility Vehicles & some just tall People Carriers without even Part Time AWD.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

35 minutes ago, Tony R said:

Matters are becoming rather  " complicated " as one minute we are told  no  variable boot  floor  and MAYBE  no spare wheel ,now we have  the latter  and  variable boot floor. One explanation is maybe  specifications vary from one country to another?

It's either spare wheel without variable boot floor or tyre repair kit and variable boot floor. 

1 hour ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

It's either spare wheel without variable boot floor or tyre repair kit and variable boot floor. 

I would have thought the obvious place for a spare wheel would be in the variable boot floor, but no doubt there is a good reason why it can't go there. ( too shallow ? )   And I have never come across anyone who has used the  "blow up kit " and would expect it  a) to be of limited application  and b)    of limited " shelf life " ?