Driving Day 2018 28th/29th April

stever750

In the words of Whitesnake, here we go again....starter for ten we could use the 2015 route, if only because I never actually made it. I now have a car that at least looks like it should be fast between Newbridge and Beulah, and I promise I will make every effort to come this time! Let's put a marker down for the last weekend in April - 28th / 29th April 2018

The route I am proposing:

Meet at Llandovery, head North on the A483 to Buehler, pick up the B4358 at Beulah towards Newbridge on Wye. This is an absolute roller coaster of a road, with some stunning scenery. From NoW, head to Rhayader, then pick up the B4518 towards Harmon and Llanidloes. Never driven it, but it look interesting. A470 to Newtown, then pick up the A483 south to Llandrindod Wells, and finally at Builth. I've driven the A483 many times, and it's one of my favourites. It's not fast, as it's too twisty and unsighted for that, but it's relatively lightly trafficked, and there are ample straights to pass the odd lumbering farmers landie. The scenery though is fantastic, and again in places it's a fast switchback of a route.

We'd plan some food / photo stops to make it a proper day out, so a chance to drive some great roads as well as a bit of sociable fun.

Attached Thumbnails

post-71909-1420494998352_thumb.jpg

Edited by stever750

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As a local.

The Beulah to Newbridge on Wye road is twisty, narrow and scenic, but it is NOT fast. I use it regularly.

Rhayader to Llanidloes via St Harmon and Tywlch is very narrow in places, goes through several hamlets and is regularly Policed. Likewise it is NOT fast. Already this year there have been accidents along it.

Currently there are lots of road works around Newtown and long term along the A483 to Crossgates. This is also well Policed on a weekend.

On a Saturday there are plenty of cafes in Rhayader, Llanidloes and Newtown, which also has a MacDonalds and Burger King. On a Sunday less are open. There is a good cafe at Crossgates and another between Newbridge and Rhayader, open all weekend.

Be aware that the Sunday before (22nd) is the offical FBHVC Drive-It Day so there are several runs being arranged in the area. If any of them have up-set the locals, there will be extra Police patrols out. I know that there are "problems" in St Harmon.

Just drove that route again at the weekend, it's a fabulous stretch between Newbridge and Beulah, unless there are two locals in John Deeres trying to race each other. In the rest of the developed world they're polite enough to pullover once the tailback exceeds 20 vehicles....

Return journey on Sunday was much more fun, just remember limit point :)

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I’ve not one through the whole topic, but my work took me all over Wales and I’m not sure if any one has mentioned this. The road from Llanidloes ( signposted Staylittle) to Machynlleth. Fantastic views of wild Wales, one great memory is travelling it in a thick layer of snow, on a bright sunny winter morning, roof down on my Saab auto diesel convertible. Put good tyres on a car and they keep going in snow.