Didn't Realise

IJWS15

One of my pet hates is cars stopped in traffic with brake lights on - put the b****y hand brake on. 

This morning was sat at traffic lights in a queue of traffic with auto brake applied and engine stopped (stop start actuated) I could see the reflection of my brake lights in the front of the white lorry behind me. 

Presume there is nothing we can do to change this short of turning the ignition off? 

'Auto Hold' just so good, why should UK drivers with 'Auto Hold' want to go applying even a Electric Handbrake when stopping in traffic or with Stop / Start just to 

be doing what the 'Highway Code' advises when stopping and not sitting with the Brake Lights on.

EU Manufacturers not considering all markets or driving conditions for different Regions in the EU or even World Regions.

My only concern with the auto hold is whether keeping the front brakes engaged (as I'm assuming happens) will cause issues with the disks not cooling properly and warping.  I had issues a few years ago with a Peugeot 406 where this happened whcih got me in the habit of always using my handbrake - a habit now long lost thanks to the awesomeness of auto hold.

PS I too only noticed the brake lights staying on when reflected in the car behind!!

Still getting used to the car, but quick query does the electronic Handbrake auto apply when you turn the engine off?

The car was in a few weeks ago for a software update for the autobrake .. And last weekend I parked up, came back 5 mins later and the car had rolled out of its spot .. thank god it was ok and not in the way of anyone.  Could have been a disaster though.

I checked afterwards, and when comeing to a stop the auto brake green light comes on, turn the engine off and it turns red and you can hear the electronic brake engaging.

so is there a certain sequence of events that could happen which would stop the hand brake coming on each time.  Now if im on any kind of incline I leave the car in gear just in case

I think mine comes on when I switch off, although it is a DSG, so I always put it in 'park' before removing the key. 

It also comes on when in 'park' if you open the driver's door with the engine running. 

• Like 1

That is not parking that is travelling and coming to a halt still on a carriageway, still not reached your destination!

Amazing how many have no idea what rear lights are showing, no Rears because they just have DRL's on, or Fog and Sidelights, or even the holy trinity, 

Side, Brake & Fog Lights and someone sitting stationary having to follow that and look at each stop till the traffic moves, then same thing.

Volvo XC90 being a particular PITA as far as i am concerned.

Police Drivers seem to sit stopped in traffic with foot on brake unless the Auto Hold has the Brake Lights on.

Lighting requirements (113 to 116) - The Highway Code.mhtml

Edited by Headinawayoffski

12 hours ago, MCG1975 said:

My only concern with the auto hold is whether keeping the front brakes engaged (as I'm assuming happens) will cause issues with the disks not cooling properly and warping.

auto-hold doesn't use the front brakes.

it uses a seperate electric motor at the rear wheels to "hold" the car.

the same thing engages when u put the handbrake on.

as for brake lights blinding u while in traffic.......fark me!!!  i'd rather see a person is on the brakes, or stopped in traffic.  and with numpties behind u not concentrating these days while driving, i would much prefer the brake lights being bright enough to catch their attention and get their eyes off their mobile!!

rear foglights are a different thing due to their intensity and focus - fair enough.

• Groan 1

JR, have you sat behind a Superb (or many of the cars that use LED brake lights) for long a period of time, they are very bright and unnecessary when the vehicle behind is stationary... which is why I then put the handbrake on to turn them off. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

JR, have you sat behind a Superb (or many of the cars that use LED brake lights) for long a period of time, they are very bright and unnecessary when the vehicle behind is stationary... which is why I then put the handbrake on to turn them off. 

admitedly - i do not spend long periods in traffic jams, staring at other cars' butts.

i have sat behind a Superb mk3 Wagon - didn't bother me.

likewise behind Mercs, Kia/Hyundai, Audi plus others with LED brake lights.  not an issue.

maybe i'm just insensitive.......literally, to light!!

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

I don't think that is the case. 

If you have auto hold engaged and then apply the handbrake, you can hear the motor operate. 

• Like 1

But it is the case that the Auto hold uses the brakes as you apply them and holds the pressure you apply, so foot brake, ie front and rear, and if the car detects movement an actuator applies more pressure, and if you open the drivers door the Electric Parking brake applies. 

from the skoda-auto website:-

"The electronic parking brake is equipped with the Auto Hold function. This prevents the vehicle from rolling away when stationary or when pulling away, without the driver having to touch the brakes. Auto Hold therefore provides the highest level of comfort when driving and pulling away, as well as more safety. When the vehicle is brought to a complete stop, two electric motors on the rear wheels slow the vehicle down. The driver can take his/her foot off the brake pedal. As soon as the driver begins to accelerate again and, with manual gearboxes, releases the clutch, the Auto Hold function disengages automatically."

Link to website here:- http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/news/2015-04-27-new-superb-assistance-systems

i believe Hill-Hold is different, and that uses the actual brakes.

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

admitedly - i do not spend long periods in traffic jams, staring at other cars' butts.

i have sat behind a Superb mk3 Wagon - didn't bother me.

likewise behind Mercs, Kia/Hyundai, Audi plus others with LED brake lights.  not an issue.

maybe i'm just insensitive.......literally, to light!!

In daylight, it's not much of a problem, but the glare is much worse in the dark and especially if it's raining.  Perhaps in Australia the sun's always so bright that the brake lights are dim in comparison!  It's a good idea for the last car in a queue to show brake lights, but not once another car joins behind.  When I had cars with manual handbrakes, I'd press the footbrake a few times if I was tail end Charlie and saw other traffic approaching from behind so the brake lights were going on and off a few times, particularly if you're stopped where other traffic wouldn't expect you to be stopped, such as an incident on the motorway.

• Like 1

Just going off at a slight tangent does anyone know of an auto Super Mini with the same auto hold/ auto handbrake set up as the Superb. This presumably would be a Polo/Ibiza/Fabia but it must also have a Sat Nav. Since I have had the Superb I am finding it increasingly difficult to adjust when driving the wife's manual Dacia . Even though I conciously try to remember to change gear and apply the handbrake I am soon in auto mode (in both senses) and either stalling the car or finding it rolling backwards. No doubt this is due to the dying of brain cells over the years but a problem never the less.  It is coming time to change the Dacia and a Super Mini with the same behaviour as the Superb would be ideal.

2 hours ago, Penpusher said:

particularly if you're stopped where other traffic wouldn't expect you to be stopped, such as an incident on the motorway.

If I was stopped on a motorway the hazard lights would be on!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JR RS said:

I beg to differ.  The Auto hold uses the main hydraulic service brake - all four wheels - and maintains the hydraulic pressure you stopped the car with by locking the brake pedal actuator rod.  The only time my electric actuator runs is in Park and ignition off or if you activate the parking brake .  If you stop with very light pressure on the brakes and the auto hold kicks in you can still roll.  Using the actuator system would need it to wind on/off every time you stop and move in traffic and that doesn't happen as it simply takes too long.

This system has been standard for auto hold systems on many cars for almost a decade, for some longer.

Because the service brake is in use it keeps the brake lights on.  It is one reason for the different indication colour on the dash.

• Like 1

And the main brakes need an actuator to hold the pressure once stopped and increase it if required.

My 2016 SEAT Alhambra 2.0TDI DSG does not have the brake lights on when the car comes to a halt, the Auto Hold is active and the Stop / Start has the engine off or still on.

On 9/13/2017 at 16:26, Lyminton said:

Do you guys like to park in traffic behind a car, with red lights on the full blast straight into your face? 

No, that is why I don't like doing it to other people.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FelisBengalensis said:

I beg to differ.  The Auto hold uses the main hydraulic service brake - all four wheels - and maintains the hydraulic pressure you stopped the car with by locking the brake pedal actuator rod.  The only time my electric actuator runs is in Park and ignition off or if you activate the parking brake .  If you stop with very light pressure on the brakes and the auto hold kicks in you can still roll.  Using the actuator system would need it to wind on/off every time you stop and move in traffic and that doesn't happen as it simply takes too long.

This system has been standard for auto hold systems on many cars for almost a decade, for some longer.

Because the service brake is in use it keeps the brake lights on.  It is one reason for the different indication colour on the dash.

Not sure how it actually works but driven a couple of Passats with it and this Superb, one of the Passats for 3 years.

On all if you coast in gently and stop the auto hold does not necessarily sense you have stopped, it takes a distinct push as you stop to ensure it engages.  I have never had the car roll when it has engaged.  I suspect you have had occasions when it hasn't engaged.

Also the 2012 Passat required your seat belt to be fastened - the Superb doesn't.  Meant that you had to be careful if you moved the car without putting your seatbelt on.

On most cars the brake light switch is in the brake pedal mechanism - maybe it has been moved and is elsewhere in the system so senses when the brakes are on rather than when the pedal is pressed.