Sportline v SE L executive

RussP

1 hour ago, SummersetBoy said:

LOL, are you sure you haven't just been wearing more elasticated waists ;)?

Have you got your own thread on the 280 yet, because i will be following it with interest?

Oi Cheeky ! :D

No, I don't do a thread for my car, just post bits here 'n there.

Since pick-up on Saturday I have:    Fitted mudflaps, Installed Dashcam, Updated Satnav, Added Speed Camera's as POI, Updated a couple of missing DAB station Logo's and De-badged the boot.

I have a Space saver spare to put in when the ordered tool kit, foam and fixing parts arrive, along with a silver boot netting system to complement the stitching. The correct top up oil in its own little pouch is also on the way as it came with none.

Weather permitting, the weekend will be time to give it a proper wash and wax, so more piccies may be forthcoming shortly :tongueout:

Summersetboy.

Keep studying the 1.4TSI / TFSI Twinchargers, and just in Euro 5 petrol engine form in the Seat Ibiza there were 2 different engine, original 2009-2012, 

then 2013-2014.

Same with the Fabia vRS 2010-2012 & 2012-2014. same again Polo GTI 2010-2012 2013-2014, & Audi A1 185ps.

Then Euro 6 was the Polo & Ibiza getting the 1.8TSI.

The Mk2 did sell less than 3,000 in the UK in 5 years compared to the 13,000 or so of a Mk1 Fabia vRS,

but the Fabia Twincharger sold more than the SEAT Twincharger, and more than the VW / Audi versions put together in the UK.

Then there were the 150 & 160ps Twinchargers in other vehicles, Beetle, Golf, Tiguan, Alhambra etc sold in the UK or other World Regions as well, many that were lemons because of VW's component purchasing and quality control and the 'do not tell us what is wrong,

we are Volkswagen we will be the biggest in the world' even if lying cheating and leaving customers out of pocket is required..

Very advanced technology ruined by VW Group penny pinching and not being prepared to 'Vorsprung Durch Technik'.

Just keep denying any failings and do a Robert the Bruce spider thing, then give up, let Volvo do the proper R&D.

(That and VW man born and breed and in the family Stefan Jacoby CEO VW USA leaving in 2010 to head Volvo as the CEO.)

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Monte Carlo great seemingly sales success of the Fabia Mk2 Monte Carlo was not born out by first registrations in the UK 

no mater how Skoda try to spin it.

Petrol & Diesels, all manual and from 60-ps, 75 86 or 105 they only were double what the Mk2 vRS had first registered in the UK.   

That means less than half of what the Mk1 Fabia vRS sold in the UK.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

19 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

Oi Cheeky ! :D

No, I don't do a thread for my car, just post bits here 'n there.

Since pick-up on Saturday I have:    Fitted mudflaps, Installed Dashcam, Updated Satnav, Added Speed Camera's as POI, Updated a couple of missing DAB station Logo's and De-badged the boot.

I have a Space saver spare to put in when the ordered tool kit, foam and fixing parts arrive, along with a silver boot netting system to complement the stitching. The correct top up oil in its own little pouch is also on the way as it came with none.

Weather permitting, the weekend will be time to give it a proper wash and wax, so more piccies may be forthcoming shortly :tongueout:

:biggrin:

I was looking on YouTube a couple of days ago and came across a Black Sportline which made me reconsider my hatred of black cars (cleaning, looking clean, staying clean etc!)

It looked stunning, and I see yours is also black.

Waiting to see a Dragon Green one in the flesh though, I think it's a colour I'll love....... because it's stupid, but I may surprise myself.

17 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Summersetboy.

Keep studying the 1.4TSI / TFSI Twinchargers, and just in Euro 5 petrol engine form in the Seat Ibiza there were 2 different engine, original 2009-2012, 

then 2013-2014.

Same with the Fabia vRS 2010-2012 & 2012-2014. same again Polo GTI 2010-2012 2013-2014, & Audi A1 185ps.

Then Euro 6 was the Polo & Ibiza getting the 1.8TSI.

The Mk2 did sell less than 3,000 in the UK in 5 years compared to the 13,000 or so of a Mk1 Fabia vRS,

but the Fabia Twincharger sold more than the SEAT Twincharger, and more than the VW / Audi versions put together in the UK.

Then there were the 150 & 160ps Twinchargers in other vehicles, Beetle, Golf, Tiguan, Alhambra etc.

Very advanced technology ruined by VW Group penny pinching and not being prepared to 'Vorsprung Durch Technik'.

Just keep denying any failings and do a Robert the Bruce spider thing, then give up, let Volvo do the proper R&D.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

TBH, it's not just the VAG group when it comes to penny pinching / R+D anymore. There was a time when you could safely recommend certain brand's for pretty much guaranteed reliability but that simply isn't the case now and sadly it seems to be more prolific in the premium brands.

I've looked several times at Golf 1.4 Tsi GT Cabriolets (twin charged) and really like them, but unless it had a cast iron warranty, I'm too scared of the possible reliability problems.

Edited by SummersetBoy

Different 1.4TSI engines/ component in them that had the Timing chain problem.

Funnily the problem that the CAVE seemed to have dodge the bullet,  and now the CTHE 2012 on are having Timing Chain stretch issues.

http://adamlewin.co.uk/vw-mk5-golf-tsi-engine-timing-chain-problem 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

2 hours ago, SummersetBoy said:

:biggrin:

I was looking on YouTube a couple of days ago and came across a Black Sportline which made me reconsider my hatred of black cars (cleaning, looking clean, staying clean etc!)

It looked stunning, and I see yours is also black.

Waiting to see a Dragon Green one in the flesh though, I think it's a colour I'll love....... because it's stupid, but I may surprise myself.

Dragon green looks good, too loud for me though.

TBH I know all the pitfalls of black, was well aware and tended to avoid it.  But as soon as I saw a black sportline hatch, I thought sod it, that looks so right :blush 

The OPs question is exactly the same dilemma I have although I am looking at second hand and not new with the 280 engine. When I looked at the differences between the 2 I was leaning towards the Executive over the Sportline as I could not really justify the price difference on what was different. Also I think the Executive has a few more toys over the Sportline from what I remember but could be wrong. My way of think is a little alien to how I have previously bought cars and currently have a Mk 2 VRS (facelifted version) that I have had from new (before that I have a Mk2 VRS and a Mk1 VRS both bought new). I also like the idea of having a car that very little visual clues about its speed but just as quick as the Sportline which advertises its speed a little more (although even the Sportline looks fairly understated to be honest). The only problem to my plan appears to be the fact that the 280 in Executive trim is a bit of a rare animal to find hence I may end up with the Sportline in the end!!!!

The Sportline is slightly higher spec, and higher new list price.

Having said that the extra's above the SE-L Exec are mostly non essential and personal preference.

It comes down to what you want from the car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

The Sportline is slightly higher spec, and higher new list price.

Having said that the extra's above the SE-L Exec are mostly non essential and personal preference.

It comes down to what you want from the car.

Is it really a higher spec? To me it looks like a different spec in much the same way the VRS in the Octavia range used to be a different spec to the higher comfort spec? So you trade the sporty features for a few less gadgets.

In the Superb case it appears you lose the electric open boot and electric folded wing mirrors when you chose the Sportline over the SE Executive if you believe what the brochure says. The higher price then comes from the fact 'sporty' models always carry a premium (in the case of the Octavia VRS you were actually buying a more powerful engine as well but that is not the case with the Superb so you just paying for the sporty looks/seats etc.).

Edited by PSM

Electric folding mirrors are standard on mine, not sure about my18's.

Electric boot is extra on the Exec according to the online config.

Over Exec the Sportline has: Kessy, DSG paddles, Colour maxidot, Interior LED package plus and 19" wheels as standard. Other than that its mostly asthetics, seats and 15mm lower suspension.

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Thanks 1

The specifications are a little unclear on the online brochure. For the Executive it definately says it is a powered boot as standard though. I am sure when I was in the dealer and they configured an Executive for a finance quote that the electric boot was there on the option list but was a no cost option.

What ? Some disparity between Skoda specs ? Never ! :D

But seriously, I just pulled this from the latest spec list, it shows you as correct on the boot opening, but use the configurator and its a cost option :blink:

It also does not show folding mirrors for the Sportline, but my MY17 has them and they were not spec'd as options. :wondering:

Executive over SE

WHEELS
18" Zenith alloys

EXTERIOR
Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS (adaptive front light system)
and LED daytime running lights
Headlight washers
Rear LED lights (high functionality)

ENTERTAINMENT AND COMMUNICATION
Columbus satellite navigation with 9.2" touchscreen display and integrated Wi-Fi
3D map navigation
DVD Drive
Infotainment Online - 1 year
Drive mode selection

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
Boot net programme
Electrically operated boot
Electrically adjustable driver’s seat with memory and lumbar support
Leather upholstery and heated front seats
Privacy glass
Electrically adjustable, heated and folding door mirrors with memory function

Sportline over SE
WHEELS
19" Vega alloys

EXTERIOR
Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS (adaptive front light system)
and LED daytime running lights
Headlight washers
Rear LED lights (high functionality)
Exterior gloss black sports styling including front grill, side strip,
window surrounds and door mirrors
Exterior SportLine badging
Rear exhaust diffusor with 2 visible exhaust pipes
Gloss black rear spoiler (Hatch only)
Gloss black roof rails (Estate only)

ENTERTAINMENT AND COMMUNICATION
Colour multifunction trip computer
Columbus satellite navigation with 9.2" touchscreen display and integrated Wi-Fi
3D map navigation
DVD Drive
Drive mode selection including HMI Sport
Keyless entry and start/stop
Sport chassis including 2-level ESC

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE
Three spoke leather supersport multifunctional steering wheel with silver stitching
(including gear paddles for DSG models)
Alcantara sports seats in black with silver diamond stitching
Black roof headlining
Carbon optic interior elements
Electrically adjustable driver’s seat with memory and lumbar support
LED interior light pack (LED ambient lighting in 10 colours, front and rear reading
lights, footwell lighting, door handle illumination and vanity mirror lighting)
Privacy glass

• Like 2

As far as I can see, the main differences are styling (colour maxidot and interior LED are styling in my view) and the addition of KESSY and paddles at the expense of the electric boot and mirrors. And SL gets lowered suspension and bigger wheels.

I'd say if you like 'sporty' looks go for the Sportline. If you like a more conventional look and potentially a negligible amount more comfort, go for the SEL.

I chose the SEL as I'm a lazy fat@ss with no desire for sportiness, and a greater desire for comfort... :biggrin:

• Like 1

Good question. I played with the paddles when I got my Sportline, but prefer using the stick. If you have your hands at ten and two, the paddles are out of place, anyway.

Really, the only thing sporty about a Sportline is the badge. The car is a great cruiser. It's too long, big and heavy to be strafing apexes.

• Like 1

I used mine a bit on the vRS, missed them when not having them on the Kodiaq, and have glad to get them back on the Superb.

Most of the time I let the DSG do its job, but every so often I like to have a play. :D

• Like 1

I've become quite used to the paddles actually and use them daily, especially when the DSG decides to do its own thing sometimes, like changing down to third on slight inclines and holding onto gears too long etc.  I find them well positioned on the steering wheel actually.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got  the same dilemma. 

Executive or sportline. 

Previously had a Octy VRS and I was able to add HBA with VCDS. 

What I can’t work out though is if there’s is a camera in the superb to add HBA and also traffic sign recognition?

1 hour ago, aldouk said:

What I can’t work out though is if there’s is a camera in the superb to add HBA and also traffic sign recognition?

The camera is standard with the l&k, optional with the sportline and I'm not sure about the sel exec.

The cheapest way for the camera is to spec the traffic sign recognition and then vcds the rest that uses it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, roo said:

The camera is standard with the l&k, optional with the sportline and I'm not sure about the sel exec.

The cheapest way for the camera is to spec the traffic sign recognition and then vcds the rest that uses it.

+1.  I ordered TSR on my Sportline and have had HBA enabled via VCDS. Not bothered about LA as I didn't use it on my last car and actually didn't like using it when I tried it. 

I'm looking at a Sportline to replace my O3 VRS. Did consider the SEL but the Sportline just does it for me in terms of looks, although now can't decide on limited colour choice.

Great. Thanks for the help. I’ll get TSR added and then add HBA myself. Moving more towards the sportline now as I’ll prefer the comfort access I think over the electric boot. 

HBA was fitted to mine, so I hope to enable TSR once my OBD11 arrives.

As for colours, if you like bold, dragon green looks good, I personally would have chosen business grey, but once I saw it in black I just loved it so much I decided it was worth the extra cleaning !

I like the dragon green, but its too loud for me, so in preference now I would go Black > Business Grey > Silver. I agree more colour choices would be good though.

Edited by Mr Grump

4 hours ago, aldouk said:

Executive.

Nice to have the electric boot

Front sensors. 

Heated seats

Sportline

colour maxidot

Aesthetics

LED interior

Sports seats

keyless

The executive doesn't have front sensors as standard.