DSG - 2nd gear

Cluke

Hi all

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but...

I am running in my new Kodiaq and taking the advice on the internet and not going over 3000rpm for the first 500 miles (it's a 1.4TSi 150bhp DSG).  The gear shifting works well apart from going up several hills on my way to work where the car seems reluctant to shift out of 2nd gear and I have to go slow, reach the top, then it finally shifts into 3rd.  

I can see no reason why the car shouldn't shift into third whilst going up the hill as it's not steep!  (If I try to accelerate to get it to kick into third then I will go over 4000rpm.)

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Enjoy your new modern car, with an Automated Gearbox and Petrol engine, it is 2017, not 1967.

Maybe take the Internet advise with a pinch of salt.  Even my advise.

Read the Owners Manual in Driving in / Running in.

Run in the Tyres after checking the tyre pressures and resetting the TPMS, run in the new suspension etc.]

Drive to UK Speed Limits and the car will run in just fine, and the DSG will change gear as needed when in 'D', 

no idea where the 500 mile stuff came from.

If you are pressing lightly on the trottle uphill, I wouldn't expect it to change out of 2nd (depending on the hill).

In my DSG Yeti, if it drops to 2nd on a very steep hill, I have to give it some beans to go into 3rd. It must be something to do with the sensor that senses your incline level being a bit sensitive, maybe?

Either way, once your car is run in and you are happier taking it to higher RPMs, I'd expect it to much more readily change into 3rd.

(They must be steep hills you go up, because my 1.2L Yeti rarely ever goes down to 2nd uphill unless I'm in traffic or just in no rush to get to where I am going!)

Edited by gman88667733

1.2TSI / 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG Yeti different is another whole kettle of high revving & little poke fish, 

but anyway, to get a Kodiak up a slope you just put the accelerator where it needs to go towards the floor to keep up the speed.

Not rocket science, just be aware with new cars you tight brakes until some wear on them, tyres with release agent on them etc.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Try in in all Modes and see if it behaves differently.

Like all vehicles, if you don't like the gear it's in for the current road conditions, traffic conditions and speed, then choose another gear.

It's known as "Driving" - and couldn't be easier with a DSG  box.

Enjoy the car :)

Unless all of your driving is uphill I'm sure it won't be an issue. Running at one engine speed can be as bad as running it to the red line. My Mercedes was the same but let the auto box do its thing. 

Have you tried the ECO mode? That will have it shuffling about to reduce engine speed too.