Is there 2 boost settings on the tfsi

Hi guys been tuning cars for a few good years not turbo cars though. On gears 1-3 the car would boost to 15 psi on standard settings but in 4-6 it doesn't boost above 5 psi that's reading on my obd to phone reader.

Is this normal for 2 boost settings.

Never heard of that.  I seriously doubt that.  That would be a big performance drop in the higher gears. Is that actual boost it is reading and is that with atmospheric pressure removed? Cheap OBD readers are not always helpful.   At a rough guess normally boost may peak at over 10psi and sustained boost rest around 10 or a little less for a standard non mapped car.  If you search the internet for boost curves on Mk2 vRS or Mk5 golf you should find some. 

Does the car feel very lazy in  4-6 compared to 1-3. That was why you were investigating the boost in first place. Or the readings you have just made you curious? 

I don't run a boost gauge in my kombi ak family estate. The wife would think I've gone mad and trying to re-live my youth. Children would appreciate an extra gauge though, I'm quite sure!

I suppose you want to tap into a vac line somewhere close to the inlet manifold and pre any other valves / solenoids etc. if the fuel regulator vac line fits the bill it may be you best bet.

A boost gauge is a stand alone item and will plug into vehicle electrics (for power) and a vacuum line somewhere and measure vacuum boost itself without recourse to any electronics in the car already .

An OBD reader / VCDS or other device that plugs into the OBDII port and interrogate the sensors already existing in the car presents the boost pressure as reported by the boost pressure sensor in the car.

Actual boost should be separated from the boost demand or requested boost in any data logging as the two are potentially different things.

Was playing with the torque app and obd reader so made me curious why my readings were so different it's also my first turbo car so will be tweaking it and then maybe a remap just wanna keep an eye on everything. The car feels strong was expecting continual boost readings through all gears

The torque app has somewhere to put in atmospheric pressure (1013mbar at sea level).  If you haven't already.  Any reporting, should then show a net boost figure without atmospheric pressure included.  I have used the boost reads in Torque in my vRS TSI on a few occasions.  The boost should be consistent in all gears at a consistent RPM and throttle / engine load.  From memory peaks of 11 or 12 psi and sustained 8 or 9 psi.   Admittedly, mine is a TSI with a different engine, turbo, map but it won't be that far off what I would expect yours should show.

Edited by TheClient