Would you recommend Skoda Fabia VRS (from 2010 onwards)?

JoeBloggs

I may buy another Skoda as I've had good experiences with my current skoda (1.2, mk1 classic).

My search for a used car narrowed down to Skoda Fabia VRS, Honda Civic, and Alfa Romeo. I'm trying to limit the age of the car to 7 years old.

My priority is speed and features at low cost which Skoda obviously provides however I'm worried about reliability issues.

Is this true? Or is it overblown issue?

Replied in a PM,

but putting anyone's mind at peace is not possible, i can put them to sleep though. 

Buyer beware, but there are crackers out there for £5,000-£6,000 or so,  you just need to find them, ask anyone here selling a good one, 

or that have traded one in.

PS

Pinned threads at top of the page really tells all you need to know about possible issues with Twincharger Engines.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

That's unfortunate thing to hear :( I just wanted a car that's quick off the mark and is yet still young and affordable.

Would those reliability issues soon become evident after buying? I'm asking because it might be worth it to buy Skoda warranty to iron out any issues within a year.

Skoda Warranty well worth buying, 

if they sell one, and if the car has the Service Record to the Skoda Schedule & not a Modified Engine.

If you buy one at a Dealers you have the consumer right to hand it back if it is gubbed and you discover that quick enough.

Not accept offers of repairs / rebuilds etc because if gubbed a new engine is what it needs.

Are there none for sale currently in the Briskoda For Sales, 

or has anyone traded a good one in recently and can recommend it???????   ANYONE.

Plenty advertised on Autotrader just now, some at dealers for not high asking prices and with RAC 82 Point Check and 6 month RAC Warranty, 

no idea if that is any good though.

31 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Skoda Warranty well worth buying, 

if they sell one, and if the car has the Service Record to the Skoda Schedule & not a Modified Engine.

If you buy one at a Dealers you have the consumer right to hand it back if it is gubbed and you discover that quick enough.

Not accept offers of repairs / rebuilds etc because if gubbed a new engine is what it needs.

Are there none for sale currently in the Briskoda For Sales, 

or has anyone traded a good one in recently and can recommend it???????   ANYONE.

Plenty advertised on Autotrader just now, some at dealers for not high asking prices and with RAC 82 Point Check and 6 month RAC Warranty, 

no idea if that is any good though.

Thanks!

To clarify, those reliability issues are only limited to early engines? Will newer engines still have the same issues?

I plan to buy it from a dealer - too much risk buying from a private seller.

Edited by JoeBloggs

Early CTHE 2012-13 still had issues and some have had engines replaced, and spark plugs were failing prematurely and some even needed breather pipe updates and upgraded oil spray jets.

Now some CTHE owners are having issues with timing chain stretch, but 2013-14 Mk2 vRS Fabia have had less issues than with the CAVE engine ones, 

but then a CAVE engine car might have a newish engine and have no issues. 

You need to do your research and check Service & Warranty history, and even with a 2012 on CTHE ask Skoda Customer Services if their records shows an original or replacement engine.

This link shows what the issues were and can be.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

This was Twinchargers, 160,170 & 180ps, in VW, Audi, Skoda & Seat Models, 

Beetles, Golfs, Tourans, Alhambras, Golf, A1's, Polo, Ibiza, Fabia so lots of different models.

PS

http://evo.co.uk/seat/ibiza/7142/seat-ibiza-fr-review 

If you can find one,,,,,

SEAT Ibiza FR 1.4TSI 150ps DSG, around 2012,  (Newer ones very good as well IMO)

cracking car, rather nippy, actually hard to tell difference from a 180ps car.....

VW Group / SEAT 'must have been trying out engine parts / engine management-maps' before the introduction of the CTHE which went into the Fabia and Seat Cupra 2013 model.

• 1 month later...

Bump, I decided to continue my search on vRS and found a car in a good condition for a good price. It does not appear to have the infamous engine issue after I carried out certain checks. I admit it's not a very good indicator but it's better than nothing.

Anyway, I contacted Skoda to find out whatever information they have on this car, they said this car was only serviced once despite the seller having multiple Skoda stamps on the servicing handbook.

Is this something I should worry about? Do some dealers not record this stuff into some sort of national database?

Edited by JoeBloggs

Yes Main Dealerships should have it on the System, Servicing, Warranty work, Service Campaign Work.

So a Problem if no Service Record that you can confirm as not put on the System.

Do the Stamps have Dealership Names on them?   (i have Dealer Stamps and can make up a Service Record.   Stamp collector!!!)

So what have you found, age and miles?

Put the Reg Number up maybe.