CR170 - Intermittent power steering problem & 01598 - Drive Battery Voltage - 011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

Hi all, looking for some advice.

The last couple of weeks I've noticed an intermittent power steering problem with my VRS CR170 DSG

First time was while parking at slow speed in a car park, steering went heavy and back to normal a few times

Second time I was travelling at speed on the motorway in S, coming down the revs, doing maybe 70 in 4th around a sweeping left bend, all of a sudden I got a very odd heave/light/heavy/light sensation from the steering, quite unnerving seeing as I was going at a fair speed round a bend.

A couple of times since I've noticed the same as the first time and yesterday when parking there was a very obvious issue with the steering again, like I'm losing the power assistance intermittently.

So I have VCDS and have done a scan, (incidentally the car was scanned 6 weeks ago after I serviced it and there was nothing)  and get the following error:

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels:. 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
   Part No SW: 1K0 937 087 J    HW: 1K0 937 087 J
   Component: BCM PQ35  H   103 0615  
   Revision: 00103 AD    
   Coding: 48000AB8E049B1C040080080110011E4437000AE726D8160808440040040
   Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00085
   VCID: 387F050D8BA4B98672-806C

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 1Z2 955 119 D  Labels: 1KX-955-119.CLB
   Component: Wischer 10121  26  0601 
   Coding: 00D7B7

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 1K0 955 559 AH  Labels: 1K0-955-559-AG.CLB
   Component: RLS 201210 05  54  0403 
   Coding: 0730ED

Subsystem 3 - Part No: 1Z0 951 171 
   Component: Innenraumuebe  008 5101 

Subsystem 4 - Part No: 1K8 951 605 A
   Component: LIN BACKUP HO  H11 9004 

1 Fault Found:
01598 - Drive Battery Voltage 
            011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101011
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 24
                    Reset counter: 51
                    Mileage: 137041 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2012.01.24
                    Time: 11:31:03

Freeze Frame:
                        Term 15 On
                    Voltage: 14.00 V
                        ON
                        ON
                        Term 50 Off
                        OFF
                        OFF

I've checked the battery and it sits at a healthy 12.59v standing (car switched off)  and with the car running I'm getting 13.49v

I'm looking for any advice anyone might be able to offer to help pinpoint the issue.

Thanks!

Edited by Muzza80

We had an intermittent ABS error. The battery seemed fine but I replaced it with a Bosch 096 and it has been fine since.

The standard battery is just powerful enough and no more I think. It's the same as on the petrol one.

The Varta E44 is identical but cheaper.

http://www.justcarbatteries.co.uk/s5008-bosch-silver-096-battery.html

22 minutes ago, FatblokeVRS said:

We had an intermittent ABS error. The battery seemed fine but I replaced it with a Bosch 096 and it has been fine since.

The standard battery is just powerful enough and no more I think. It's the same as on the petrol one.

The Varta E44 is identical but cheaper.

http://www.justcarbatteries.co.uk/s5008-bosch-silver-096-battery.html

Thanks for the reply.

The battery has been replaced before my ownership, it's a Bosch S3 007 - 12V 70Ah Type 100?

Not sure how that compares to the standard one but the car's been faultless up until now and from my understanding 12.59v standing and 13.49v running would indicate a healthy battery?

6 minutes ago, AkisVH said:

Yes the 12,59 is a very identical number for idle battery...but the 13,49 is not really battery's but the voltage the charger outputs..

Check also the auto-regulator protector of the battery charger in any case though.

Thanks, is this a simple thing to do? 

If so can you offer any guidance? 

Cheers!

Thanks.

One thing I completely forgot to mention is that for the same time I've been seeing this issue the car seems to be regularly idling at 1000rpm, not ALL the time but often.   At first I thought it was the DPF regeneration but I confirmed this was not the case with VCDS, it last regenerated just 50km ago and I was getting the high idle today on the way into work.       Could the car be compensating for low charging voltage by raising the idle?

Just arrived at work and checked the battery voltage before I left (before starting the car at all this morning), it was sitting at 12.21v, gone down from 12.59v at 9pm last night.

I take it that's not right?

Cheers!

Sounds to me that the battery may sometimes not be able to deliver high current. Battery voltage is a starting point but on load performance is what matters.

Most battery suppliers will do a FREE battery check using a device that reads battery terminal voltage while loading the battery with a high current. Halfrauds do it but, like others, will try to sell you a new battery.

Get this test done as a starting point.

Next, get the low on-charge voltage checked out. Should be over 14 V after a decent period of charging when no other large load is switched on. Raised revs to 1000 rpm is an indication of charging the battery (as well as other things such regen). Usually I find my car has raised revs for a few minutes after starting or for a longer period if have discharged the battery by listening to the radio for more than an hour when stationary. In fact a warning sometimes comes up on the display telling me start the engine!

You have not reported starting difficulties but this does not rule out a battery problem. Moden cars only crank for a couple of seconds so don't take much out of the battery capacity.  If you have hot starting problems it is because minimum cranking revs have not been acheived and is a sign of poor battery (or starter motor). This revs check is not applied when cold starting.

If the battery proves to be ok then you need to look closely at the cables and connections for the power steering, including looking for corrosion at the power steering fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

If everything checks out the the only thing left is the power steering controller.

On 14/09/2017 at 17:13, Tech1e said:

Personally I'd be expecting a low voltage fault if you battery was low not an open circuit one. I'd be checking the connections onto the EPAS motor. 

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Wouldnt account for the idle running high a lot though? 

I'll check, any ideas where that might be on the MK2 VRS?        

Cheers!

Edited by Muzza80

Ok so some further information.

I checked the alternator clutch pulley and that's fine.

Had the battery tested at two different places, both came back with "good battery" however both showed charging voltage at 13.5v or there abouts.

The second place I went to suggested disconnecting the battery and properly charging so I bought an automatic charger, hooked it up at 12pm yesterday and left it charging until midnight, I then left it disconnected from the car and checked again this morning at 9am and it had held 12.85v.

I hooked it back up to the car and started the car, from stone cold I was then seeing 14.2v from the alternator!    I've had it out for a 40 mile run, come back and the alternator is putting out 14v at idle now the car is up to temp.

I've switched off the car and left my leads connected and after 30 mins the battery shows 12.7v, I'll check it again in a hour or so before work and I'll check it again tomorrow morning after it's been sitting overnight connected.

I also cleared the drive battery intermittent voltage code before taking it out there for a run and it's not returned.

Could this really just be a case that the battery needed "refreshed" with a proper charge??

Thanks!

So the problem is still here, as I pulled into my drive last night the power steering issue re-appeared and a scan showed up the same error code.

Seems I've been chasing a red herring too, the battery is fine.     I checked it again this morning, 12.29v however on disconnecting the negative lead and checking again it's actually a solid 12.6V, the drop must be due to load  on the battery from unlocking the car and walking up all the electrics, silly me, never even thought of that.

From stone cold with car running I'm reading 14v at the battery and 14.2v directly from the alternator.

I've tested continuity between the alternator and the battery, then also the alternator all the fuses in the engine bay fuse box, all good.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Muzza80

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new Varta E44 battery in and within 5 mins I'm getting the same high idle and fans on.

It's a nightmare mate, I've literally trawled the internet and found probably 30-40 (posts in various languages) detailing this exact problem yet nobody has ever updated the posts with a solution.

It's so random and seems to be occurring with even more complete randomness, last night and today after fitting the new battery I've noticed I can leave my drive, drive 2 miles down the road and pull up at lights and it's idling high with fans on, drive another mile down the road pull up at lights and it's fine, continue 5 miles and fans are back on with high idle, drive 20 miles and it's fine....

Really need to try and get to the bottom of it. It's the steering that worries me most, it's not happening every time the idle is raised with fans on but it catches you by surprise as all of a sudden out of nowhere it's like the steering is trying to snatch the wheel out of my hands, mostly notice it doing slow manoeuvres but did get it at speed the other week on the motorway which is quite dangerous.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd update this, sorted it a while ago now, was down to a bad/loose earth connection from gearbox to chassis under the battery tray, cleaned up the connection points and tightened it all up, problem has never returned! 

• Like 1