Goodbye mk2 pd vrs.....helloooooo mk3 vrs...

Hi guys !

I've just put a deposit down on a mk3 vrs without seeing the actual car in the flesh ! 

Its a 14plate red corrida (with black pack ) TDI vrs with 32k on the clock...

Is there anything I need to look out for when I check it over ?
Have read about water pumps going on these...

Managed to get Skoda sandicliffe down from 14k to 13150 with a bit of haggling !
I would have liked sat nav, but I suppose you can't have everything...

I don't normally go for red cars but I saw a red 17plate red vrs with black pack at a Skoda dealer and the more I looked at it, the more I liked it !
I hope it stands out from the, race blue, black and white ones you see most of the time...

However...

I will be very sorry to see my mk2 PD vrs to go....

I've had her just over 7 years, its done 174k and I've done 120k most pleasurable miles in her !

Not sure now if I'm doing the right thing now in getting rid, but the abs pump has just gone (350ish-400 to repair ) also its on original clutch and dpf...

I just hope the mk3 lives up the mk2 !

Can't wait ! 

Ive had mk 1,2 and 3 all VRS. The MK1 was a great car the MK2 never really enjoyed that and it was a facelift as i always thought the PD was Fuggly . In my opinion and after a year of ownership i cant fault my 16 plate MK3. Ive had a faulty DRL and gone through a set of tyres in 13K,. i would highly recommend  a DTUK box as it feels super slow without and a pedal box if you really want to transform it. I can see me keeping mine a whi;le as i hate the FL. 

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Yep water pump will be an issue for sure, lots of member getting 50 or even 70% discount from Skoda UK 

Some even when outside warranty 

Does it affect/damage cambelt if it go's ?

Edited by studmuffin

The main thing to look out for a soon as you get to sit in the car is "Cabin Boom" from the rear...

This has been a common issue since the O3 was launched & still now there is no official fix or acceptance from Skoda that its a real issue.

If you notice it on your car I would back out straight away or get in writing that the garage will 100% correct it to your liking.

With the TDI the two main warrenty items are the Water Pump and the boost pressure sensor/wiring.

From the forum, the boost pressure sensor fault was common on cars built around Q1/Q2 of 2014 but was an easy/quick fix accepted by Skoda.

The water-pump-gate is still developing with lots of users, even out of warrenty, getting a good contribution from Skoda for the change so its seems like its an accepted design/quality issue.

Yep my water pump went  last year at 86K miles, the AA guy said no need to look at what it could be! Front nearside wheel bearing at the same time, rear off side wheel bearing at 90K; rear near side wheel bearing 105K

Also the wear on the inside of the rear tyres is a bit of a joke we me and the dealer, they say its not a problem. But still I have just ordered another one :)

On 9/15/2017 at 15:32, Gabbo said:

The main thing to look out for a soon as you get to sit in the car is "Cabin Boom" from the rear...

This has been a common issue since the O3 was launched & still now there is no official fix or acceptance from Skoda that its a real issue.

If you notice it on your car I would back out straight away or get in writing that the garage will 100% correct it to your liking.

With the TDI the two main warrenty items are the Water Pump and the boost pressure sensor/wiring.

From the forum, the boost pressure sensor fault was common on cars built around Q1/Q2 of 2014 but was an easy/quick fix accepted by Skoda.

The water-pump-gate is still developing with lots of users, even out of warrenty, getting a good contribution from Skoda for the change so its seems like its an accepted design/quality issue.

Hi there please can you explain what you mean by "Cabin Boom"?

11 hours ago, negaultra7 said:

Hi there please can you explain what you mean by "Cabin Boom"?

This is the thread below.

The first few pages will give you an idea of the issue, the last few pages will confirm its still not resolved even on newer models.

It is basically a booming sound & pressure wave coming from the back of the car (similar to when a window is slightly open) which also creates a feeling of pressure in your ears.

It varies in level, with some people more sensitive than others & some cars worse than others.

There are several "try it and see" fixes like boot mats, spare Wheel insulation & boot end-stop adjustement but no definative fix or acceptance from Skoda its really an issue.

I must add that there are also a lot of uses who dont have this issue on their car at all. so fingers crossed.... :)

12 hours ago, Gabbo said:

This is the thread below.

The first few pages will give you an idea of the issue, the last few pages will confirm its still not resolved even on newer models.

It is basically a booming sound & pressure wave coming from the back of the car (similar to when a window is slightly open) which also creates a feeling of pressure in your ears.

It varies in level, with some people more sensitive than others & some cars worse than others.

There are several "try it and see" fixes like boot mats, spare Wheel insulation & boot end-stop adjustement but no definative fix or acceptance from Skoda its really an issue.

I must add that there are also a lot of uses who dont have this issue on their car at all. so fingers crossed.... :)

Is the "boom-ing" applicable for both the estate and saloon or just one of them?

10 hours ago, Snowman89 said:

Is the "boom-ing" applicable for both the estate and saloon or just one of them?

From the thread there isnt one type of car thats affected.

Saloon & Estate and also the vRS with the more advanced rear suspension configuration.

Some users have cured their problem with one or several of the potential solutions.

Others ave tried all and still have no success.

I have noticed a sort of 'booming ' sound coming from the rear of the car...

Its like a low pitch, then high  pitch sound, but at a more slower rapid sound than you would here if a window was open if you understand what I'm saying...

I can only hear it between 70&80mph then you can't really hear it, its not there all the time and its always on the same bit of road when you can hear it....

Is it anything worry about ?

Edited by studmuffin