Possible Haldex issue???

MartinOD

Hi Folks, 

I have a 2014 Suberb TDF, 140BHP estate. FSH and just 6 weeks through its MOT at 34k miles. It's never missed a beat traction wise, with never a hint of wheelspin and has been great to drive.  But this morning my front wheels spun on a dry road and the traction control light flashed and this has happened a number of times today. Would a check with a VCDS diagnose the fault... And is there anyone in the Sheffield area with one? If it's an oil and filter change, I'd rather do that than take it to a main dealer to be told the pump is knackered. 

Any ideas, or has anyone had a similar experience? 

Thanks in advance, 

Martin

Front wheel spin is a sure sign of a non-working Haldex.

Quite a few threads from owners of 4x4 Octavia's and Yeti's who one day noticed more wheel spin than normal.

If you aren't in warranty then you aren't far out of it. I'd be asking Skoda UK for an FOC diagnostics and fix.

Thanks all. I may call them and see what they have to say. Until it's sorted, would I do any damage if I pull the Haldex fuse so that the pump doesn't try to run incase the filters are blocked, or would that cause issues? 

I had the same problem in my 2010 Octavia Scout.  Turned out to be a blocked Haldex filter.  Easy fix (new filter and change of fluid) for not many £ at my local independent. Has been perfect ever since.

My VCDS just gave a general fault code for the Haldex (can't remember the specifics).

There is talk of faulty electronic boards at many £ but worth looking at the simple things first

• Like 2

I needed my pump replaced a few months back. Same issue that you have. It wasn't the filter, sadly. While the haldex system works very well when operational, it is, in my opinion one of the most unreliable systems ever fitted to a car.

My local skoda shop says they have a never ending stream of haldex problems. One of the reason, by his account, is that VAG has removed the filter cleaning from the maintenance cycle and on some models the fluid change is only a recommended item and not on the "must" list.

So, I assume that most of the units rarely get the fluid replaced and never get the filter cleaned out.

If you have a fluid pump and some good ramps / lift you can swap out the pump in an hour or less. I just paid the shop to do it since they were already doing a bunch of other stuff.

One thing I noticed after getting it fixed.. It was impossible to spin the tires anymore on a wet road from a standing stop.

Either I have the same problem - or I need to change tyres :(

Is it OK/enough/safe for pump or gearbox - for few days - to remove fuse ? Done this already and have ESP error light.

Seems to have resolved itself just now. But sorting things for a filter and oil change, while driving rather carefully. Would still like to know if I'll cause problems by pulling the fuse to stop the pump engaging... Can anyone advise? 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got sorted. If you don't mind, van you give me a rough idea of what it cost you.

Im pricing up parts and may do it myself, along with changing the rear brake pads while I have the car up on a lift(can hire locally for £10/hr).

1l of oil + labour = £62.40 incl. VAT - but it's from friendly garage :)

I'll try to upload photo of the dirty filter - but it was almost 100% identical to the one from the link.

Pressure on the Haldex pump is up to 27bar when accelerating hard - tested using Snap-On computer - so as it should be :)

Ta for the info. Sounds like you got yourself a great deal. One last thing, do you know if the garage had to reset anything(computer /sensor wise) after they carried out the work? Just wondering if I do it myself, will I trip any sensors that I'm currently unaware of? 

4 hours ago, MartinOD said:

Ta for the info. Sounds like you got yourself a great deal. One last thing, do you know if the garage had to reset anything(computer /sensor wise) after they carried out the work? Just wondering if I do it myself, will I trip any sensors that I'm currently unaware of? 

Coding should not be needed for changing the oil or filter.