Vrs TDI more refined than superb shocker

OK, so I've only driven Greenbird II for a 100 miles this afternoon, but straight away even in sport engine sound mode it sounds less harsh and strained than my superb 190 SE-L Exec, which not sure is more a positive surprise for octy owners or a big disappointment for the superb which purports to be a limo like cruiser. On the Flipside, the phone won't sync numbers for some reason, which it does fine in the superb. Don't miss the irritatingly dim witted ACC, heated seats a gimmick too imo, but the central cubby storage (tiny) and location of charger is pretty poor. I'm surprised how smooth the ride is from those rubber band tyres, but then the superb was on 20" wheels so wasn't any better. It's a much quieter cabin overall, and not because of a lower engine noise, there seems to be less road noise too. Unless you need the space you'd arguably be daft to buy a superb over the octy, I won't again that's for sure unless they start exclusively fitting 300bhp hybrid drive powertrain to it. 

Wow a bit of a surprise statement.

Sure your transport blocks were ever removed from the Superb?

Half serious question.

Edited by Gerrycan

That isn't the issue, it's mostly a noisier engine. That SCR motor sounds as gruff as a gruff thing, especially under full load in low gear, it's wince inducing. We're talking shades if grey here, not an obvious fault, but I was surprised that the octy was quieter. 

6 hours ago, toni8b said:

And Greenbird II is?

Some years ago I had a Volvo V40 2.0T that was a bit of a flyer (at the time) in a pool of company cars, and was nicknamed Greenbird. This is the second green car I've owned, though it's not really a flyer, yet anyway. 

_20170914_075011.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Buy a Superb without silly size wheels and buy a lovely, smooth TSI rather than a TDI. Problems solved :)

Green Octy VRS does look good though!

Buy a similarly specced octy even better. 

I agree, I find my VRs super smooth and quiet - however my previous car was a Mini Cooper and the suspension is bone shaking to say the least - still my wife has that car now and she has the music turned up so doesn't really bother her :)

1 hour ago, Banjaminion said:

You car looks seriously smart in green!

I think so too, I was initially sceptical but when I looked at it in the flesh I liked it a lot. I think the colour is extremely model dependent, it looks OK on a superb estate, but awful on a fabia hatch (apologies to any Rallye Green fabia owners!). The only colour I'd have chosen over the green is white, which with the black line treatment looks pretty special. 

Maybe the superb 190 TDI is little bit rough, but driving Superb compared to Octavia is another level on its own. Longer wheelbase, bigger weight, better sound insulation and materials overall make it for much smoother ride.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, toni8b said:

Maybe the superb 190 TDI is little bit rough, but driving Superb compared to Octavia is another level on its own. Longer wheelbase, bigger weight, better sound insulation and materials overall make it for much smoother ride.

Well, so you'd think, but that's my point: both have roughly the same engine, and the Superb has the newer SCR 190PS vs the old tech DPF 184PS; but both are grumbly diesels. So, that's apples to apples.  In comparison though: Superb >£ >Octavia, so you'd expect it to be quieter. Octy >sportier> Superb, so you'd expect the the Octy to be noisier, crashier, less smooth.

That's about it, but the Superb (in soft exec trim) suffers from significantly louder engine noise than a much sportier cheaper Octavia.  After 500 miles in the Octy in the last 24 hours, up the A49 from S Wales to Shrops, then to Sheffield mostly M way, back down to West Wales via the M1/M6 toll / mid wales then I reckon they're about the same on roadnoise, with the caveat that it's measured subjectively from my ears. On this admittedly small audit size, I'll not even consider the Superb next time, and that's before we consider the rattling cooler pipes issue.

Agree that from a ride & handling POV they are chalk and cheese. The superb is just that, big and wafting, but also capable of lifting its proverbial skirts and having a go, I had a grin a few times, wondering about the so called expert reviews that described its chassis as dull and sensible. It's not. Yes, it's safe, but will wake up when you lean on it, switch off the ESC and it will wiggle it's rear end better than that cheap nasty thing from France upon whose marketing message and frankly only USP was its grotesque shape was just that. The Octy being a VRS is of course a totally different proposition - which is why I bought it. I expected it be to be gruffer, noisier as a trade off for being cheaper and sportier, and that's the thing it's not noisier, it's quieter, more refined acoustically. I'm not sure that it's because the Octy is subliminal, a  step beyond the competition; it's not, so perhaps the Superb isn't actually as Super as you might think. Maybe it's the SCR engine; it's a tryuly horrible sounding unit - 2nd gear full throttle and it sounds like the engine mounts have taken the day off, and someone has stolen all of the bonnet carpet. Pulls like a train, doesn't use much oil, nothing like most VAG units, it will easily pull to 4800 before you get bored, so I don't think it's a rogue. 

Edited by stever750

56 minutes ago, toni8b said:

I think just the tdi engine in vrs is made somewhat quiet (more refined), while lower tdi engines make rattle.

But the engine in my Superb is newer in design, same configuration and similar power output. You would expect it to be as quiet,  if not more so, especially if you put it in a big fat limo, which is what the superb is. That's why I'm surprised. The octavia vrs handling is a step above the superb that I have, just ad you'd expect