Accident

So I had a small accident this morning - Car pulling out of a junction hit the rear of my car, apparently hit the accelerator instead of brake  - so no real biggie he admitted fault, had it on Dash Cam, he's insured etc etc

So the bumper is toast, split and needs to be replaced the rear light housing appears to be broken too.

The impact was about 10-20mph at most

I can't see any creases in the boot....but the drivers door seems odd, the shut lines look good but the door opens really easily, I mean no resistance on the handle and it flies open - tried the passenger door and there is tangible resistance when you pull the handle (as you would expect)

Does anyone elses door open really, really easily with no resistance on the handle (I can't really remember how it was before, sure there was some resistance)

I am bit suspicious that something chassis wise has moved - I can't see any creases anywhere - roof, boot etc but I just don't know.

It gets picked up tomorrow so for repairs but not expecting a definitive response until next week.

My poor little VRs!!!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_d233.jpg

• Sad 3

Thanks Mate

Yeah no injuries, lad only passed his test 8 weeks ago - but it was all polite and no drama - what annoyed me was the car that let him out behind me didn't bother to stop so she could come forward as a witness (hopefully shouldn't be needed but even so)

Thats a good point, perhaps they will try to respray the whole car thinking all the paint fell off in the accident!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at that impact I can't see any likelyhood of any chassis damage. Even less likelyhood, if you have checked rear panels for creases.   Maybe the door just needs adjusting ever so slightly to firm up against the door seals a little better.

• Thanks 1

Don't know why they don't build bumpers the way they used to. I once hit a wall while parking in a Passat - the wall fell down - the bumper? Edged in rubber and seemed to be on springs, because it was undamaged.

They are for bumping after all - so why make them out of plastic?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, S00perb said:

Don't know why they don't build bumpers the way they used to. I once hit a wall while parking in a Passat - the wall fell down - the bumper? Edged in rubber and seemed to be on springs, because it was undamaged.

That would be the NCAP ratings from the EU legislation that you should know all about with your avatar

• Haha 4

Not likely any damage to chassis. Probably door behavior hasn't changed at all, just your senses are on a different level after this accident.

I share your frustration, sorry mate. Luckily nobody was hurt and no serious damage, even more, the car is perfectly functional still.

1 hour ago, S00perb said:

I'd say they are made out of plastic at the factory, like Toyota do at the Burnaston plant. As they are there for bumping it will be a very profitable part to make in house as almost all accidents involve either the front bumper or rear bumper.

Looking at the picture, I'd doubt that the damage has effected the chassis at all. I have repaired worse than that inside the Burnaston plant when I worked there back in the day. Modern cars are full of crumple zones for a reason.

Glad no-one was hurt. :thumbup:

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but:

Choose your own repairers (e.g local VW/Audi dealer bodyshop) . Not the insurers pet chop-shop.

Courtesy car or hirecar bill goes to the other party's insurer. Don't let the insurer threaten you with no courtesy car unless you use their bodyshop.

Skoda esurance or ensurance or whatever they are called are pretty good. Use them.

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

That would be the NCAP ratings from the EU legislation that you should know all about with your avatar

Which bit exactly?

2 hours ago, finnster01 said:

So I had a small accident this morning - Car pulling out of a junction hit the rear of my car, apparently hit the accelerator instead of brake  - so no real biggie he admitted fault, had it on Dash Cam, he's insured etc etc

So the bumper is toast, split and needs to be replaced the rear light housing appears to be broken too.

I can't see any creases in the boot....but the drivers door seems odd, the shut lines look good but the door opens really easily, I mean no resistance on the handle and it flies open - tried the passenger door and there is tangible resistance when you pull the handle (as you would expect)

Does anyone elses door open really, really easily with no resistance on the handle (I can't really remember how it was before, sure there was some resistance)

I am bit suspicious that something chassis wise has moved - I can't see any creases anywhere - roof, boot etc but I just don't know.

It gets picked up tomorrow so for repairs but not expecting a definitive response until next week.

My poor little VRs!!!

Ouch, not good!  :crying:

Pleased to hear that no-one was hurt though.

Can anyone answer Finnster's query regarding resistance on Driver's door?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, S00perb said:

Rubber and bumper not mentioned on that page

As you clearly need it spelling out to you as you're either being pedantic or just stupid. The materials used in bumpers need to reduce the peak impact forces buy spreading the forces over a greater area (rules out rubber strips as that concentrates the forces) and using softer materials (hollow thin bumpers with foam supports). 

Protecting the limbs

Most limb injuries occur due to a direct blow from the bumper and the leading edge of the hood. This leads to contact fractures of the femur and the tibia/fibula and damage to the knee ligaments due to bending of the joint. Thus, attempts at reducing these injuries involve reducing the peak contact forces by making the bumper softer and increasing the contact area and by limiting the amount of knee bending by modifying the geometry of the front end of the car. Computer simulations and experiments with cadavers show that when cars have lower bumpers, the thigh and leg rotate together causing the knee to bend less and thus reducing the likelihood of ligament injuries. Deeper bumper profiles and structures under the bumper (such as the air dam) can also assist in limiting the rotation of the leg

4 hours ago, finnster01 said:

My poor little VRs!!!

I recently stated on other thread that the damage from a similar accident was superficial but on pulling the bumper off and trim I was very wrong as it appears the cars are built from Swiss cheese. Saying that cars are designed to absorb the energy with crumple zones etc rather than pass it on to the occupants of either vehicle so it has done it's job. You will only know once it has been inspected.

Shut lines are usually a clue if some thing is out but I would measure them rather than just visually as you can see what you want to. The door handles are usually easier to operate on ones that are used a lot and with it being a rear door I'd hazard a guess that you haven't used it much yourself but someone who has, your wife or child may notice an actual difference. 

• Like 1

Thank All

Goes to the Garage tomorrow, so fingers crossed, I am sure it will be fine  - apparently my hire car is an Octavia too so at least will be on familiar territory!!

Better be a Primer Coloured One!!

:)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YellowAges said:

I'm guessing that CWARD was "jesting"  ;)

From my own experience so far on BRISKODA, everyone's a friendly bunch!

hmmm - not so sure

I had a similar accident last February the car was fixed in about two weeks  the damage looks the same as mine.

To this day I still get calls asking if I have claimed my free pot of monies that was sett aside for me.

Even though there was no injuries and I tell them this on the phone they still keep calling so get ready for that.