Buyers guide? what to look out for superb 170 DSG?

Hi,

I've just arranged to look at a facelift 2013 superb estate with the 170hp engine and DSG box.

What sort of things should I be doing to check it?    I've never driven a dsg equipped car.

How do I know which dsg box it has?   there seem to be quite a few versions with differing reports on the reliability.   The car has always been serviced at the main dealer and has had dsg fluid changes.

thanks

Mark

Make sure the changes are smooth when the gearbox has warmed up. It can be a little jerky when cold. Make sure it changes gear in both D & S modes, and in Tiptronic mode. You've already checked that the fluid changes were done.

It's fitted with the DQ250 6-speed wet-clutch DSG. Once they're serviced on time they tend not to give trouble.

• Like 2

Some cars have hill-hold enabled, which applies the rear brakes to hold the car until you start moving. It prevents the car rolling backwards on a start. That aside, if the car is in gear it shouldn't roll backwards on a hill start unless the hill is very steep. It might be as simple as the clutch actuator being out of adjustment - there's a diagnostic procedure that can be carried out to reset all the actuators in this case. Otherwise it could be indicative of a worn clutch.

Low-speed manoeuvering can be tricky - it's not quite as controllable as a manual, even with practice.

• Like 1

The main DSG issues you probably heard about were with the 7 speed dry-clutch but the 170tdi never came with that box.  If you're happy that the gearbox and the car generally has been well serviced (and documented by a main dealer), this should give you a lot of confidence.  As mentioned above, DSG takes a little getting used to but is a great box.  You have to remember that it is not a regular auto box and is effectively an automated manual so it still changing through the gears but at a much quicker pace than any human can as the clutches are constantly selecting the next available gear.  Because there are two clutches, one selects the odd gears and the other selects the even gears.  You just have to be mindful of reversing uphill as it will always be somewhat jerky but nothing that takes from the pleasure of the DSG overall.

What sort of mileage does he car have - just thinking of any potential DPF issues if it has very low mileage or has always been run on short journeys.

Well I bought it :)

DPF should be fine - car has 126k miles (63 plate) and is fairly immaculate with full main dealer service history (last one in may).    I'll need to get used to the DSG though.  

Does it adapt to driving style?

It does have an issue with the AFS lights though.  new thread coming soon...

Edited by superbPerhaps
  • Like 1

@superbPerhaps

To reset DSG without VCDS try this:

1 Put your key in the ignition and turn ignition to the on position (don't start the engine!)
2 Hold down the gas pedal pressing the button under the pedal for at least 20 seconds.
3 Let foot off pedal and start car. Be sure that you do no turn ignition off because that will void the reset 
(not so sure it still works)

Or this:

a. put key in ignition and turn key to the position just before cranking
b. hold down the accelerator for 10s
c. let go of accelerator and turn key back to Off before turning it back to the position before cranking

• Like 1