Turbo to Intercooler pipe work hose oil leak

gfinneran

Just completed a service on my car, a 2005 1.9TDi AVF it has 310,000 km on the clock and noticed oily residue on the hose from the bottom of the turbo to intercooler pipework (number 5 in the illustration), I had cleaned this off on the last service. It is difficult to see where the leak is, no faults logged car driving normally, I cleaned the intake and egr a few months back. There is also oil residue on the pipe above this which comes off the air filter box into the turbo held on with a jubilee clip, this may be coming from below and been blown up under pressure. Has anyone else come across this issue, how did you resolve it? I may try to replace the o-ring seals first, the Passat B5.5 and Audis with the same engine also suffer with this problem from a cursory viewing of the forums.

Charge air cooler 1.9TDi AWX AVF.png

Edited by gfinneran

Thanks for the reply Jim its a bit quiet in here lately, I drain off about a tablespoon of oil at the intercooler by undoing pipe number 7 every service, uses little or no oil between services. I have fixed some of the niggly issues like resoldering door locks, headlight level sensors and replaced shocks all round, arb bushings and drop links. Just want to have it running its best heading in to the winter, I will replace the o-ring seals in the intercooler pipework it has the original black seals and see if that cures the problem. Cleaning the intake and egr made a significant difference to the performance and I broke the 1000km barrier for a tank for the first time. I have the same combination of powertrain as yourself and have the reverse issue but have managed to nurse it along for the past couple of years ok just avoiding having to reverse up inclines, on 310,000 km so only just broken in :biggrin:. Any sign of Rotodiesel or other previous regulars its like a ghost town in here!

You will always get some oily residue within the pipes. Every diesel I've had has done the same. A teaspoon full I wouldn't worry too much about. 

Nice mileage:)

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

Yes, I'm still driving mine daily but if I'm honest it doesn't quite get the love it once did.  Still the old girl is doing well.

It is one of those things where I think you just risk breaking stuff on an old barge like this going round trying to fix problems which aren't really problems.  People messing with these pipes I think often end up with pipes popping off during acceleration etc (from what I read).

I should probably clean my EGR.  When I bought the car it got replaced under warranty at 60K but I've now got 215K miles.  I should do lots of things really; for now I'll settle for the wheels going round when I push the go pedal, and slowing down when I push the stop pedal :)

Also can hear either the alternator, pulley or aux tensioner / PAS pump is making a little noise.  And cam belt due in a few months again if I'm strict on the mileage.  But I do so few start / stops (every single journey pretty much is 55 miles).

The UKPassats forum is much busier for this chassis type still, but even that is getting quite quiet these days.

• Like 1

Comes from turbo leakage.

As with Jimbof, this is common (and not just to this car), as long as your not getting so much that the seals in the turbo have completely failed.

Often clean mine out if I've got the undertray off.

• Like 1