Smoke on startup

JWvrs25

On 9/15/2017 at 16:25, clarendon462 said:

I have a meter and some know how with electronics so should be fine. Thanks for those values will give it a go tomorrow

Great- my advice on bulbs was in case you either don't know how to /don't have meter. Me - I'd use my meter with a "hold"function, as glow current is only on for a short spell . Plus fact that you can do it with bulbs without help. Bulb on power side- positioned so you can see it from inside car .Then bulb in series- likewise.

Bulb light on lead- it's getting power. In series- all is well.

50 years of experience teaches short cuts/ easy of doing things.

8 hours ago, VWD said:

Great- my advice on bulbs was in case you either don't know how to /don't have meter. Me - I'd use my meter with a "hold"function, as glow current is only on for a short spell . Plus fact that you can do it with bulbs without help. Bulb on power side- positioned so you can see it from inside car .Then bulb in series- likewise.

Bulb light on lead- it's getting power. In series- all is well.

50 years of experience teaches short cuts/ easy of doing things.

Its a good bit of advice even if you have a meter but lots of fiddling with wires to connect them up. Yes I did use the hold function on the meter which worked well but I was able to connect it and position so that I could see it when i turned ignition on.

Anyway new glow plugs being picked up today along with a coolant sensor and new battery as I can get them cheap. Will update when all fitted

Got the new glowplugs, so tried removing number 1 (cambelt side) and it cracked off ok but was very stiff and jumpy as I tried to remove it. Gave up as don't want to risk stripping the thread. Going to see if i can find a local mechanic/shop  who remove glowplugs as I don't want to be left without a car or possible cylinder head removal/repair

1 hour ago, clarendon462 said:

Got the new glowplugs, so tried removing number 1 (cambelt side) and it cracked off ok but was very stiff and jumpy as I tried to remove it. Gave up as don't want to risk stripping the thread. Going to see if i can find a local mechanic/shop  who remove glowplugs as I don't want to be left without a car or possible cylinder head removal/repair

It's just soot in the threads, crack them all off, soak them, then work them back and forth a bit with the penetrant to dissolve the crap.

50 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

It's just soot in the threads, crack them all off, soak them, then work them back and forth a bit with the penetrant to dissolve the crap.

Ok well I decided to just accept they have to come out one way or another- one by one they all came out ok! they got progressively easier to remove as I moved towards the gearbox and the last one was able to be unscrewed by hand.

Hopefully all is well tomorrow morning when i try a cold start.

Thanks for your advice sep and others

1 hour ago, clarendon462 said:

Ok well I decided to just accept they have to come out one way or another- one by one they all came out ok! they got progressively easier to remove as I moved towards the gearbox and the last one was able to be unscrewed by hand.

Hopefully all is well tomorrow morning when i try a cold start.

Thanks for your advice sep and others

Good stuff, held your nerve nicely. :thumbup:

19 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Good stuff, held your nerve nicely. :thumbup:

It was a horrible feeling having to keep unscrewing them fully expecting for the thread to strip :o

Anyway onto rear brakes tomorrow that should be less stressful

clarendon- HTH. Problem on here is knowing the electrical level /equipment of the poster. There are several approaches to finding an electrical fault.

The guess approach- it could be this /that or the other.

Then the engineer's way --

Start at one end and work through TO FIND NO VOLTS

Start at end looking for place where there is a voltage

Me- I go to the end, and if nothing half the circuit and work either way. Works on circuits of many thousands of miles, so it should work on a bit of car wiring. ( I've been there done it and got the T shirt after working on overseas circuits).

HENCE my advice to check on the glow plugs for voltage, then see if current is passing, using a bulb as most cheap meters won't handle 8 Amps. That test eliminates a bad earth, as with a bad earth, lamp would not glow/ be not so bright as the others, and it could be seen for the period of glow plug activity from the car.