Very hard ride

Can anyone advise me on my problem . He ride in my 2014 Octavia black edition is very harsh. The suspension transmits every bump through the car. I am on Bridgestone tyres and wonder if I can improve the ride by fitting softer tyrs. 225 / 40 / 18. / 92  Y.

Bridgestone tyres are quite a hard tyre from my experience. Stiff sidewalls too. I wouldn't replace the tyres prematurely, but once they are done grab some Goodyears, Continentals or Michelins and they should be better.

With that tyre size presumably you have a VRS, so don't expect a huge transformation in ride quality from changing tyre - it does have "sports" suspension i.e. Quite a stiff ride and relatively low profile tyres don't help either.

Edited by ahenners

I've just fitted slightly wider 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Supersports and I'm convinced the ride is better. The sidewalls are slightly taller, being 35 profile of 235 width rather than 225. It could be my imagination though. May be an option to fit 235/40/18's? Speedo is still within tolerances.

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Black Editions weren't Vrs's. They were one off but I think they had sports Suspension and 18" wheels. Think there were 2 engine options 1.6L & 2.0L Diesel 

DOH... Missed that bit about black edition. It's early :tongueout:

20 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

So that'll be 40 profile tyres & a rear torsion beam suspension with a sports setup

Hmmm firm & crashy you say, I wonder why?

Yes, on rough ish roads I feel every bump. The suspension is set up as sports I think. My query is which tyres are softer than Bridgestone S001's

cheers for any thoughts

6 minutes ago, Johnjhs said:

Yes, on rough ish roads I feel every bump. The suspension is set up as sports I think. My query is which tyres are softer than Bridgestone S001's

cheers for any thoughts

Look for the lowest noise levels you can get, Eagle F1A3 are quite, Michelin Cross Climates too & useful if you get snowfall

• Sad 1

I'd seriously consider 17"s if you have the cash. And then at least a 45 sidewall. The difference in ride on my A2 between harsh 195/50 summers and 185/60 winters is like night and day.

- Bret

You should check that the front suspension transport blocks have been removed and also consider changing the rear shocks to ones from the Golf Mk 7, direct 3-bolt swap and with softer damping characteristics.