Huge play in steering

It's the inner knuckles on the arms, the TRE's bolt on the other end, not a difficult job if you have access I am not sure but you should be able to do them in situ after taking the TRE's off, I thought this is what it was from the video.

Just unscrew the inners and replace. you will have a mark on the TRE end where you screw those off so screw them on the new ones the same and you shouldn't have much realignment to be done or if you are fitting new TRE's just take the whole arm off and TRE and match the length.

s-l500.jpg

Edited by T2000

I did this on one side last winter. Was easy enough but you got to make sure you have the right one! ECP sold me the one for the wrong rack. despite the right selection on the site! I'm not sure about length but there are two different types (possibly more) with different diameter rack end threads. (assuming one is for koyo and the other TRW)

A crows foot spanner or the specific socket like tool is pretty damn useful

The boot from mine did not sit on the replacement inner tie rod properly. Different diameter to the original to the point i couldn't really seal it properly.

The one i got was some random brand from the local motor factor, you may have better luck with OEM or a better brand

On 19/09/2017 at 17:18, T2000 said:

It's the inner knuckles on the arms, the TRE's bolt on the other end, not a difficult job if you have access I am not sure but you should be able to do them in situ after taking the TRE's off, I thought this is what it was from the video.

Just unscrew the inners and replace. you will have a mark on the TRE end where you screw those off so screw them on the new ones the same and you shouldn't have much realignment to be done or if you are fitting new TRE's just take the whole arm off and TRE and match the length.

Thanks for the edit w/ image. Do you have a part number?

I was lucky as it was a Polo and they only ever had TRW steering systems, though the diameter on the TRW rod supplied by ECP was slightly bigger than the TRW original fit to that car, I think that I sealed it using two nylon cable ties with the locking ends 180 degrees apart. Though I think I eventually bought Constant Tension Hose Clips to suit the bigger diameter - and fitted them to complete that job properly - an ebay purchase.

• 2 weeks later...