Need softer tyres

Hi all, I'm running my Octavia black edition on Bridgestone tyres S001's 225/40/18/92Y. They are nearly ready for changing.

i am not happy with the ride / comfort of these tyres as the suspension is set up in sports.

please can anyone recomend softer tyres ( that may improve the ride/ comfort). I feel every bump in the road and if I cannot improve the ride I am considering changing the car. The Bridgestone are very hard sidewall's

i do not drive the car fast and don't require the hard tyres fir my use.

many thanks,

johnjhs.

Low profile tyres with rear torsion beam suspension was never going to work well and Skoda should have realised that. I had a VRS with the IRS and even that was crashy on less than prefect roads, again low profile tyres. Switched to a 1.4TSi DSG with 16 inch wheels and larger profile tyres, of course I lost the IRS but the ride is so much better. You could try Michelin or Goodyear, but with the same profile, they are not going to make a huge difference.

This might help you. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/91856/tyre-reviews-best-car-tyres-2017

Edited by MoggyTech
linky

As above - what pressures are you using?

Low profile tyres are never a good recipe for ride comfort. You could fit 16 or 17" wheels with larger profile tyres (just check the wheels fit over the front brakes).

Sticking with the same size tyres - I'd suggest you try a touring type tyre rather than a sports tyre:

• Hankook Ventus Prime 3
  • Goodyear Efficientgrip
  • Bridgestone Turanza
  • Conti Premium Contact

I wouldn't recommend Toyos, at least not the T1-R.

• Like 1

You have the widest choice of any 18 inch size there at 225/40.

look here and pick something biased towards comfort:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/18-Inch-Tyres/225-40-18-Tyres.htm

I expect you'll get bored of scrolling pages and pages down towards the bottom scores before you find Turanzas or EfficientGrip!

If the tyres are nearly worn out, you will find the ride even harder than normal. 

New tyres with 7-8mm of tread should feel softer.  

I recommend the Goodyear Asymmetric 3. Had them fitted on my previous 2014 vRS over the 3 year ownership, one pair at a time and I noticed a significant improvement in terms of noise and handling, so much so I have the stock tyres replaced with the Goodyear's when I collected my FL vRS yeaterday. Dealer was very accommodating in replacing the tyres at a reasonable cost. 

13 hours ago, mo1965 said:

I recommend the Goodyear Asymmetric 3. Had them fitted on my previous 2014 vRS over the 3 year ownership, one pair at a time and I noticed a significant improvement in terms of noise and handling, so much so I have the stock tyres replaced with the Goodyear's when I collected my FL vRS yeaterday. Dealer was very accommodating in replacing the tyres at a reasonable cost. 

Recently replaced the factory fit Pirelli Cinturato tyres on my 2015 1.4TSI Elegance with Goodyear Asymmetric 3, road noise is greatly reduced and handling seems more taut with less play in the steering and less bounce in the ride. Definitely recommend the Goodyear Asymmetric 3.

• Like 2

Another vote for the Goodyear asymmetric 3’s

Having due to wear out of the original factory fit tyres and a puncture done all 4 tyres this month #ouchonthewallet 

as as mentioned above quieter and better handling. Also hopefully better rim protection for my 19inch wheels.

Just had a pair of Goodyear Eagle AS3's fitted to the rear of my VRS to replace the Continental Sport contact 5's that were on there.

You will not be disappointed!!

In my opinion the AS3 is a far superior tyre in both noise, ride and handling.

And yes the rim protection on my wheels is ample. At least 7mm of protection.

I think if you have the Gemini wheels you get no protection due to the rim design but my car has the Pictoris so no problems there.

Edited by VRjest
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 17:05, vrsTom said:

As above - what pressures are you using?

Low profile tyres are never a good recipe for ride comfort. You could fit 16 or 17" wheels with larger profile tyres (just check the wheels fit over the front brakes).

Sticking with the same size tyres - I'd suggest you try a touring type tyre rather than a sports tyre:

• Hankook Ventus Prime 3
  • Goodyear Efficientgrip
  • Bridgestone Turanza
  • Conti Premium Contact

I wouldn't recommend Toyos, at least not the T1-R.

This. I had Octavia Elegance with 18's on standard suspension and it was awful on urban roads. It got replaced (for other reasons) with same car but I kept the standard 17's and it far, far better. 

• 1 month later...

I have a 1,4 dsg se hatch 2014 with 205 55 16 fitted from new. Road noise from the start, worse at motorway speeds. on some roads its fine but those chipping type surfaces its bad.

I have been told its that the tyres are hard, well will find out soon as just got winter wheels and tyres + same size.

I have put sound deading  in all boot area and all wheel arches. very slightly better, more a waste of a day.

5 hours ago, prichards1234 said:

I have a 1,4 dsg se hatch 2014 with 205 55 16 fitted from new. Road noise from the start, worse at motorway speeds. on some roads its fine but those chipping type surfaces its bad.

I have been told its that the tyres are hard, well will find out soon as just got winter wheels and tyres + same size.

I have put sound deading  in all boot area and all wheel arches. very slightly better, more a waste of a day.

Complaints of noise in the Octavia are quite common in this Forum and fingers are often pointed at the lack of sound absorbing material from the manufacturer, which may well be true, but those who have gone to the effort of installing their own (such as yourself) rarely report  much of an improvement for road noise.

I was of the belief that higher profile tyres were beneficial for both ride and noise but that theory was debunked somewhat for noise on a very late night 250km run home when one standard 225x45x17 Dunlop Maxxsport was replaced by the 205x55x16 Nexen spacesaver spare.

The noise generated by the 16 inch wheel was almost unbearable at all speeds.

My current tyres are near the end of their life and looking for either Goodyear or Michelin at a good price to replace them. Seem to be the only tyres getting near universal recommendation in most forums I frequent. 

None of the good deals are in my required size though here in Australia. :(

I had the same problems with my Bridgestones towards the end of life on my Black edition Estate.

Ended up fitting Uniroyal Rainsport 3 which are coping fine with my driving and far better at handling the pot holes and poor surface of the roads around Cheshire / Manchester.

• Haha 1

I have 4mm on fronts and 5mm left on rears so very reluctant to change them just yet , they are conti 5's . the  winter tyre are Dunlop which do get a good 71dbs rating. I will look for some 17" or may 18" for next summer , I just don't want to loose the economy  as it goes down already at motorway speeds. I cant win.

Edited by prichards1234
typo on tyre number

My car got the CITnow video report at the service in July. The front Continental Sport Contact 5s on my 220 Bhp vRS Combi had 4mm on one and 3-4mm on the other. Just over 3000 miles later at the MoT today they got an advisory as they’re at the legal limit. Just on Friday last, driving in heavy rain and standing water,  I had thought how well the car was handling on a local twisty A road. So unless you’re going on a long trip, I’d probably wait! 

I’ve ordered Continental Premium Contact 6’s in 225/40/18 to be fitted next week. Reports on Tyrereviews.co.uk have been very good for them, I’m hoping for comfort but with the possibility still for spirited handling this car cries out for (and they’re more affordable than Michelin PS4s).

The Continental  are also 71db I think I read http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Premium-Contact-6.htm

Edited by Pilotguy
CitNow Link added

On 15/09/2017 at 13:54, Johnjhs said:

Hi all, I'm running my Octavia black edition on Bridgestone tyres S001's 225/40/18/92Y. They are nearly ready for changing.

i am not happy with the ride / comfort of these tyres as the suspension is set up in sports.

please can anyone recomend softer tyres ( that may improve the ride/ comfort). I feel every bump in the road and if I cannot improve the ride I am considering changing the car. The Bridgestone are very hard sidewall's

i do not drive the car fast and don't require the hard tyres fir my use.

many thanks,

johnjhs.

Mmmmm.....I'm a little confused, the OP has posted that he is running a Octavia Black line edition, the Black lines were only available in a 1.6 TDi engine with a 5 speed box. The OP has 225/40/18 tyres fitted. Would the Black line come with 18" wheels as standard or has the OP fitted them over standard.  Has the OP actually got a MKIII Vrs with the Black Pack and the dealer has told him it's a Black line edition, only available in either Black or White and did the Blackline come with lowered sports Suspension.

19 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Mmmmm.....I'm a little confused, the OP has posted that he is running a Octavia Black line edition, the Black lines were only available in a 1.6 TDi engine with a 5 speed box. The OP has 225/40/18 tyres fitted. Would the Black line come with 18" wheels as standard or has the OP fitted them over standard.  Has the OP actually got a MKIII Vrs with the Black Pack and the dealer has told him it's a Black line edition, only available in either Black or White and did the Blackline come with lowered sports Suspension.

Hi, thanks you for your comments. Just to confirm that my Octavia is a 2014 plate black edition ( as advertised and sold to me by an approved Skoda dealer. The engine is a 1.6 diesel estate with 225/40/18 Black alloys fitted. Since my last postings I have fitted a pair of Goodyear Eagle  isometric  3 tyres to the front and it has made a world of difference and greatly improved the ride .

I cannot wait for the Bridgestones on the rear to wear ou5 so that I can get rid of the extra hard tyres which spoil the ride of this car.

• Like 1

Hi many thanks, I have just replaced the Bridgestone tyres on the front end with Goodyear Eagle Isometric 3 tyres. I can confirm that they have made a world if difference. The ride is much better and much softer. Cannot wait to get the Bridgestone tyres off the back end when I can afford it. My Octavia is a 2014 Black Edition as sold to me by a Skoda main dealer, 1.6  diesel with 225/40/18 black alloys fitted.