Advice on a new Octavia RS Mk 3 build

I'm considering ordering a new Octavia RS 245 to replace my Octavia Mk 2 1.8 TSI.

I'm actually quite happy with my Mk 2 Octavia, but i will be selling my BMW M135 aswell as the MK 2, to make room for a proper track car and i think a Mk 3 RS 245 combined with a pure track car would replace my 2 currenct vehicles..

However im interested in hearing what people think of upgrading first from a MK 2 to a Mk3,5, interior quality, soundlevel in the cabin?

Any other pro's-con's?

Except the actual pro/con's of the car, i would need some advice on speccing it..

In Sweden the Octavia RS 245 comes stock with heated seats, heated steering wheel, electronicly adjustable seats, full LED-lights..

The options that i have ticked are:

Silver grey

Black seats with red stitching

7speed DSG

Premium package (Contains Amundsen navi, parking sensors front/rear, Canton sound system, rear view camera, sunset.)

Towing and Webasto package (contains towhook, Webasto fuel heater with remote control)

Adaptive Chassi DCC

Kessy keyless entry and startsystem

Have i missed anything?

What do you think of the color options?

Is the stated fuel numbers quite realistic or what can really be achieved?

Any input is highly appreciated!

5 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Sunroof?

Forgot to mention that im going for the saloon model.

Is it worth getting the sunroof then?

I previously had a Seat Leon estate with the sunroof, where it was HUGE.

But ive seen pics of them in a saloon and they seem to be quite small? 

4 minutes ago, Snowman89 said:

Forgot to mention that im going for the saloon model.

Is it worth getting the sunroof then?

I previously had a Seat Leon estate with the sunroof, where it was HUGE.

But ive seen pics of them in a saloon and they seem to be quite small? 

Not sure, mine's an estate.  

@Auric Goldfinger has a hatch with sunroof, maybe he can tell you.

The Panoramic sunroof is a must It's massive and worth the money. I have the roof open most days.

Even when the roof is shut with the blind open it makes the car look bigger and on a really " hot sunny day* with the car parked up if the roof is down and the blind is shut the car stays quite cool

* might not apply in Sweden

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

14 hours ago, Snowman89 said:

I'm considering ordering a new Octavia RS 245 

The options that i have ticked are:

Silver grey

Black seats with red stitching

7speed DSG

Premium package (Contains Amundsen navi, parking sensors front/rear, Canton sound system, rear view camera, sunset.)

Towing and Webasto package (contains towhook, Webasto fuel heater with remote control)

Adaptive Chassi DCC

Kessy keyless entry and startsystem

Have i missed anything?

The DSG is a good choice as that box can handle upto 600Nm therefore, tuning is an option

Wouldn't go with the red stitching as it can fade quite badly from sunlight

DCC is good as allows the family to have a smooth cruiser car whilst, you can have some fun too

Edited by themanwithnoaim

2 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

The DSG is a good choice as that box can handle upto 600Nm therefore, tuning is an option

Wouldn't go with the red stitching as it can fade quite badly from sunlight

DCC is good as allows the family to have a smooth cruiser car whilst, you can have some fun too

Yepp and i really love todays automatic transmissions.

Also i would like the DCC just "because" since ive always wanted it and none of my previous cars have had the "adaptive suspension" box ticked.

The advice about the red stitching was very good to know!

I will remove it from my list!

2 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The Panoramic sunroof is a must It's massive and worth the money. I have the roof open most days.

Even when the roof is shut with the blind open it makes the car look bigger and on a really " hot sunny day* with the car parked up if the roof is down and the blind is shut the car stays quite cool

* might not apply in Sweden

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

Thanks for the advice!

Would it be possible for you to grab a photo from the inside and also from the side?

On my Seat Leon ST it was really nice to have the sunroof since it was really big, but with the Octavia i suspect that it might be quite small and it is a quite expensive box to tick.

In Sweden it costs about the same as the DCC..

Also here it usually rains or is just to hot, so i doubt that i will be using it open.

But it was indeed nice with the extra "space" that it felt like i got in my Seat..

Any opinions or advice on the color for the bodywork?

Standard sound system is actually ok. Canton is a lot of cash for minimal improvement. Heated screen is a must have. Intelligent lights are great we have a manual but wished we had gone for the dsg as 321.5bhp and 500 nm of Torque things destroyed standard clutch. Whatever spec they are a remarkable car !

IMG_2377.JPG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, group1rs said:

Standard sound system is actually ok. Canton is a lot of cash for minimal improvement. Heated screen is a must have. Intelligent lights are great we have a manual but wished we had gone for the dsg as 321.5bhp and 500 nm of Torque things destroyed standard clutch. Whatever spec they are a remarkable car !

IMG_2377.JPG

Nice car!

The thing is that they are running a "sale" on a version they call "Business edition" right now, which includes all the equipment that i listed in the "Premium + towing" packages for a price LOWER than an "empty" RS 245..

Basicly i can get all the items in my first post, for the price of a base RS 245 manual :)

I guess you mean heated front screen? 

The thing is that the car will have a webasto heater, so im not sure if i need the heated screen?

Also what is your opinion on the KESSY completly keyless system?

Something that i should get or not?

Edited by Snowman89

14 minutes ago, Snowman89 said:

Nice car!

The thing is that they are running a "sale" on a version they call "Business edition" right now, which includes all the equipment that i listed in the "Premium + towing" packages for a price LOWER than an "empty" RS 245..

Basicly i can get all the items in my first post, for the price of a base RS 245 manual :)

I guess you mean heated front screen? 

The thing is that the car will have a webasto heater, so im not sure if i need the heated screen?

Also what is your opinion on the KESSY completly keyless system?

Something that i should get or not?

I have similar to KESSY in a Toyota I have. So just jump in push button start and off you go it's very good. Our Octavia has old fashioned key. And yes I'd still get heated front screen even with Webasto heater.

8 minutes ago, group1rs said:

I have similar to KESSY in a Toyota I have. So just jump in push button start and off you go it's very good. Our Octavia has old fashioned key. And yes I'd still get heated front screen even with Webasto heater.

Thanks again!

The heated front screen is actually really cheap, so i guess its a no-brainer to even consider it :)

I have something similar in my BMW, however jsut for starting the car, but i do really like it since i can just push a button instead of turning a key :)

As Requested.  Tilt, open, front ( showing new Reg number )  rear.

Bit difficult to get a picture from the inside.

As for Colour,  Meteor Grey, every day, with the Black pack Plus  and a black rear spoiler, sets the rear end off..............

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

As Requested.  Tilt, open, front ( showing new Reg number )  rear.

Bit difficult to get a picture from the inside.

As for Colour,  Meteor Grey, every day, with the Black pack Plus  

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

Amazing thanks!

What is the "blcak package plus"?

Also does anyone know what parts in the seats are alcantara and which are leather?

It just says "leather/alcantara" in the specs and  the stealers does not have one in the showroom..

Black pack plus ( In the UK ) is:-

19" Black Extreme Wheels

Sunset glass from the B pillar to the back

Black Grille and External mirror caps.

In the UK it's standard on a 245 but don't know about in Sweden, My Vrs is a Pre FL 230

The seat base and back rest is Alacantar the rest is leather and I think the seat swab is Memory foam

Seats with red trim and silver trim

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Black pack plus ( In the UK ) is:-

19" Black Extreme Wheels

Sunset glass from the B pillar to the back

Black Grille and External mirror caps.

In the UK it's standard on a 245 but don't know about in Sweden, My Vrs is a Pre FL 230

The seat base and back rest is Alacantar the rest is leather and I think the seat swab is Memory foam

Seats with red trim and silver trim

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Yepp that seems to be standard in Sweden aswell!

I really love that pattern they put into the new seats..

I test drove a "standard" Octavia today MK3 and found it to be ALOT quieter than my MK 2, is that to be expected?

Or was i simply not driving it for as long? :)

If it was a FL VRs they are now 230bhp and I think it delivers the torque in a different way. They are quite quick and at the Red line, engine up to thempreture, in 3rd or 4th they sounds very nice. 

Just to add, Meteor Grey ones are the fastest...........

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

If it was a FL VRs they are now 230bhp and I think it delivers the torque in a different way. They are quite quick and at the Red line, engine up to thempreture, in 3rd or 4th they sounds very nice. 

Oh no it was like a 1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI :D

It was the only Octavia MK 3 FL, saloon they had in stock :)

As in "quiet" i ment it in a good way since i was refering to road noise.

I have quite alot of road noise in my MK 2 1.8 TSI at highway speeds.

It seems like the MK 3 had quite alot less road noice in the cabin..

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just because of the tires?

29 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

That's just because they are lighter from not finishing painting it properly:biggrin::tongueout:

Edited by roo

3 hours ago, group1rs said:

Standard sound system is actually ok. Canton is a lot of cash for minimal improvement.

I think it's the other way round. The standard system is very unremarkable, and the Canton makes a huge difference for the cost.

Has anyone tried a Mk 2 and a MK 3?

Would be great to have their opinion on road noise..

I did some googling and found out basicly the opposite to what i thought when i went for the test drive, which is alarming since i only took it for a short drive..

I really wish DCC was an option to spec when I got mine :(

I've replaced the standard suspension with KW (who make a model which interfaces with DCC) and it would have been great to be able to control it from within the cabin.

Edited by mabnz

On 16/09/2017 at 18:57, Dr Zoidberg said:

I think it's the other way round. The standard system is very unremarkable, and the Canton makes a huge difference for the cost.

FWIW I didn't. I think neither are particularly hi fi, the canton not worth the extra cost. In comparison, I find the superb standard system is better then either of the Octavia systems. 

19 hours ago, mabnz said:

I really wish DCC was an option to spec when I got mine :(

I've replaced the standard suspension with KW (who make a model which interfaces with DCC) and it would have been great to be able to control it from within the cabin.

Interesting that you fitted the KW suspension, but i assume the KW MUST be way better than DCC?

Im actually thinking of skipping the DCC and just getting KW, since its the same money.

Would you advice against it or is it a good idea to skip DCC for KW?