Columbus map updates - can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Hello all,

Its been a while since I joined the forum in 2011 after buying my Mk11 Superb Elegance 4x4 DSG. Thought I would keep it for 3 years. Six years later I've just traded for a nearly new demo Superb Sportline diesel 190PS DSG, quartz grey.

I've never had a better car that my Superb Mk II and was sorry to say 'goodbye'. Didn't take a second glance at any other car make when I decided to change. It was always going to be another Superb.

What a difference six years makes in terms of technology tho,(and to Briskoda.net which continues to be a great website for all things Skoda).

Delighted that map updates are free downloads.

So apologies, for repeating a thread, but I can't crack the maps auto-update. It won't read for me in-car. Here's what I've done:

• Went to the Autoupdate website and put in my VIN.
  • It came up with 2017/2018 maps update  - ECE 2017/2018 (24,00GB)
  • Checked my maps in car which were ECE 2017
  • Downloaded update to my Apple Mac which created the following folder

59bd442668aba_Screenshot2017-09-1616_23_45.png.563a74715416f708db84dd97ac656b36.png

which contains:

59bd44f883ec2_Screenshot2017-09-1616_35_35.png.8dceaad702204258b3b3e2eb50bec47c.png

and in each of these many more subfolders and maps.

• Loaded the 'High12' folder unto a formatted and clean Lexar 32Gb SDHC 1 10
  • Tried in car. Data not found'
  • Deleted files from SD card and loaded the three files only above. Tried again - 'data not found'

I've read about others (Windows users?) downloading zipped files. The above files were not zipped.

re-read the instructions and don't see what I'm not doing based on what they say on autoupdate.

59bd4a123b0a1_Screenshot2017-09-1616_57_01.png.2c7243318cb84c9b9eef348d865a99f3.png

So...my Map Guru friends. What am I missing in all of this please?  I'd like to crack this download and update business as Skoda intended.

Thanks

Ash

Firstly I have never owned a Mac.  I believe your problem stems from Apple adding either an additional partition or hidden files to aid indexing and fast recognition of the SD card.  I've never seen any coherent explanation on the web.  These non standard additions prevent the car correctly reading the SD card and initiating an update

I would try the Mac sd card formatting program from the SD card "trade body" https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

If you are using a mac, I believe it puts hidden folder/files on which the infotainment system does not like.

Do you have acess to a Windows PC ? If so have a look for hidden files and folders and clear all except the MIB folders and metadata file.

I did mine the other day, took about 50 mins to update the unit.

Thanks Jerry,

Very useful thread.

I did a thorough erase of the SD card and reformatted using Fat32, then copied over files I had downloaded.

This time the Columbus system noted that updates were available when I put in the SD card, but couldn't find the data. The download may have been corrupted.

I've turned off the unzip function in Safari and now downloading the full zip file which I'll unpack unto a clean formatted SD Card and see how that goes.

Thanks all for your advice. I'm getting there!

Ash

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I thought I'd close off this thread by providing the solution that worked for me. Its a combination of this thread and others of the same ilk.

As a Mac user I wanted a Mac solution. This is what worked for me.

If you format a SD card on a Mac it writes a series of Mac related . (dot) files that the Columbus doesn't like. You must get rid of these. The cheapest fastest way of doing this is to download the free Clean my Disk app (its a younger sibling of the excellent Clean My Mac app).

Here are my steps.

• Format your SD card using Mac's disk utility app. Format it using FAT 32 (for cards of 32Gb and below). This will add a few Mac specific hidden files that cause problems.
  • Download the zipped update file to a a folder on your Desktop and unzip
  • Open the root folder and copy across the root file and the two MIBN files (I'm referring to the 2017/18 maps - it may have been different for others) you should now have 3 files on your SD card, plus any pesky hidden Mac files
  • Run Clean my Drive - it will show the junk files. The app has a setting allowing you to erase junk files as you eject the card. Use it.
  • Once the card has been ejected lock it so that it cannot be overwritten or added to. This is an important step, but still figuring out why. Its a bit like locking the stable door...)
  • Put into Skoda as instructions suggest. the update is recognised.

It took about 25 mins for the software to update.

It was a bit of a palaver to sort, but the key thing is to get rid of those hidden files, which incidentally you can see by Cmd+shift+. (dot).

As I say it worked for me...

Many thanks to Briskodians on this and other threads for their insights. 

Skoda - please update your instructions.

Ash

• Like 2