Tyre wear on inner edges - worn bushes?

nia573

2010 Fabia 2 1.4 Tdi - noticed the other day that the inside edges of both front tyres had worn excessively.

Had a pair of new front tyres today & got the tyre guys to check the alignment & tracking on their digital setup & everythings fine & nothings untoward.

Ive had the car about 18 months & noticed after buying it that the inside edges were a bit worn then so had the alignment done then (tracking was a bit off at the time if I remember)

The mechanic mentioned that it could still be bushes? He said that when the cars moving there could be a bit of play in a worn bush to throw the tracking off, even though when stationary on the ramps the trackings bang on? Does this sound plausible? 

Theres no untoward knocks of crashing when driving
I havent had a look at the bushes yet but am i right in thinking that the front wishbone setup is similar to a Mk2 Golf with  a horizontal front bush & a vertical larger rear bush? ANy uprated or heavier duty bushes worth fitting or is it best to go with genuine parts?

1 hour ago, nia573 said:

there are a few around here, yes. I try to go gently over them

The reason I ask is I had the same problem last year with my uniroyal RS3's, they were mentioned in a health check when I went in for a service and it eventually turned out to be the speed bumps, I now try to avoid them

when possible but when I can't I drive 1 side of the car over the actual speed bump instead of trying to drive over it and get it bang on in the middle of the car. I'm not saying it is that but there's a chance it could be?

Ah I see thats a possibility. For the full width narrow speed bumps I try to crab over them at an angle but with the short speed humps I do tend to try & hit them centrally. I was  thinking if Id hit them off centre than this would cause some suspension wear on one side more than the other

Saying that its not a daily occurance to go over the speed bumps though - I try & avoid if possible

Do you know if that car has had its springs changed from standard to something else over its previous ownership, if the springs are shorter, then the camber will be a bit more than it was originally?

Maybe time for a good look at all the front suspension bushes and then get a four wheel alignment done as that will give you idea were to go from here.

Edit:- not being a Fabia Mk2 owner, did Skoda not change the front suspension mounting design by this point in time, my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza at least, has the later front suspension mounting method that winds the clock back a few years.

Edited by rum4mo

I think the cars at its original ride height  & the cars on the original springs as Im aware

Ill get my mechanic to check the bushes & top mounts etc

When the tracking was checked on the 4 wheel alignment setup I think the camber settings were ok too

Were the checks done, everything fine so no adjustment done?  Was this on a Hunter Wheel Alignment System?

Just be aware it is not un-known for some places to have the wrong scores on the doors, ie the spec for the model not quite as it should be.

Even Skoda Main dealerships diagnosing Pulling to the left and such can pass cars as as should be then a proper trained technician with the gear and more than an idea can make the adjustment to the right settings.