DCC or not DCC on Sportline?

TomW80

Hi,

New to the site and hoping for some advice on the Superb Sportline.

My query is about whether it's worth paying the extra for DCC. My current car is an Octavia VRS diesel estate, without DCC, and recently I've test driven the 280 Sportline, whist at the moment I've got a Superb 190 DSG L&K on a 72 hour test drive. Ultimately I'm thinking of getting the Superb 220 DSG Sportline, for balance of power and economy, and without massive premium for the 280.

I recently test drove a 280 Sportline without DCC and it seemed fine, although I was only in it for 30 minutes or so, with the woman from the dealership, so couldn't really give it any stick. With this car I was a little more worried about the lag before acceleration, compared to the Octavia 245 I drove the same day.

The L&K I've got at the moment doesn't have the 'sports chassis' of the Sportline, but does have DCC. I tried the modes with various settings - normal drive and normal dampers, sports drive and sports dampers, and importantly sports drive and normal dampers. In a Sportline without DCC I could expect to replicate normal drive and normal dampers and sports drive and normal dampers, with the latter hopefully giving me an impression of what a non-DCC Sportline would handle like in sport drive mode.

HOWEVER, the Sportline is lower and stiffer as standard, and I don't mind a firmer ride. After running the Octavia on 19's for 2.5 years most setups would be an improvement! From the reviews I've read in Evo, Autocar, The Telepgraph and Auto Express there's mixed reviews on whether DDC is worth adding. It seems it's worth adding to a standard car to stiffen things up, but it's not clear whether the stiffer set up on the Sportline is sufficient on it's own, if the driver is happy with a permanently firmer ride. It appears the key benefit of DCC on the Sportline is to soften things up for those who prefer a softer option when cruising etc, which I'd be less bothered about.

On the L&K I've had this weekend I noticed a subtle but important difference between normal and sports dampers when on twisty roads, but if the car was permanently in sport damper mode I'd be happy enough and if this is a reflection of what to expect from the Sportline I'd be happy not to have DCC. The L&K in sports damper setting wasn't as pointy as my non-DCC Octavia, which is to be expected, but even in sports mode it was a lot more supple.

I should get to test drive the 220 Sportline before I put pen to paper, but I'll probably have the dealership woman with me, so I won't get a true idea of what the car is like to live with on a long term basis. Hopefully those of you on here with experience of these cars can help.

So, there's my overly long post, which is basically asking is it worth spending an extra £750 on DCC on a 220 Sportline? Straight answers on a postcard please.

Thanks,

Tom

I wait my SE L Exec. But did have DCC on my previous car, a Passat CC.

I used to run it on the Sport setting because I preferred the weighting of the steering. The suspension was firmer but still comfortable.

I would not think comparing an L&K with DCC in sport mode and a Sportline makes any sense. It's not just about dropped suspension height... the DCC in sport mode vs Sportline is not a valid comparison. DCC in sport mode is constantly making adjustments. At times it might be a lot softer.... the whole point of DCC.

I'd suggest a demo drive in both.

And at end of the day get DCC in L&K or Sportline (or SE L Exec) trim when you decide on the model.

Maybe before ordering, get a 72 hr test drive of the model.

I had decided on a 1.4TSI DSG and none on the demo fleet (probably are now!) and tried a 220PS 2.0TSI DSG SE L Exec. I had it for a week. I did order the 1.4 since I know the performance from my A3 1.4TFSI S-Tronic.

I'd like to get a 72 hour test drive on the 220, but they're stopping them and the 220's are tough to get hold of, even for demo. Even if I could test drive the 220 I'd have someone from the dealership in with me, so could test it properly. I've made comparisons where I can so far, so ideally I'd like someone with a 220 Sportline to let me know their experience. 

The L&K in normal damper mode was fine, but better in sport damper mode. I'd expect the Sportline to behave closer to sport, than normal. 

I'll happily spend the extra if required, but equally if I can save the money or spend it more wisely I may as well. 

I have a L&K Superb with the DCC, mine has been with the dealers for a creaking noise which was developing (thankfully sorted) and I was provided with a Superb Sportline without DCC.  The Sportline bounces around over speed humps quite alarmingly, didn't expect that at all with the sports suspension. My advice is to definitely get a long test drive in and make sure your happy with the ride & handling characteristics. I had the Sportline for 2 weeks and boy oh boy I am glad to be back in the L&K simply from the viewpoint of ride and handling. 

5 hours ago, vrs2014 said:

I have a L&K Superb with the DCC, mine has been with the dealers for a creaking noise which was developing (thankfully sorted) and I was provided with a Superb Sportline without DCC.  The Sportline bounces around over speed humps quite alarmingly, didn't expect that at all with the sports suspension. My advice is to definitely get a long test drive in and make sure your happy with the ride & handling characteristics. I had the Sportline for 2 weeks and boy oh boy I am glad to be back in the L&K simply from the viewpoint of ride and handling. 

Thank you, I appreciate the direct comparison. I know I went on a bit with my original post, but ultimately all I needed to know is whether it's worth the extra cash. I'll try and get a test drive with the combo of engine and set up I want, but as mentioned that may be tricky. The woman I'm dealing with, who's been there years, said she's never sold a petrol Superb! From the reviews it wasn't clear whether the standard set up on the Superb Sportline was a little firm and the DDC was worth considering to soften things up when required, but if as you say the extra 15mm drop and 'sports chassis' does little to firm up the Sportline's ride it appears the DCC is worth splahing out on. Thanks again.

You've got yourself a lovely car there by the way. I've got the same car as you, albeit for the weekend only, and it's been fantastic!

Sorry, one last questions. Speed bumps aside have did you take the Sportline out on some twisty A and B roads? Interested to find out how you found it compared when you got on it a little bit. 

I can't compare to an L&K  Superb, but I had DCC on the Kodiaq and ran it in comfort pretty much all the time.

The Superb obviously feels firmer, but its not at all uncomfortable. This is subjective so TBH you really need to get an extended drive to come to your own conclusion.

The Sportline is not 15 mm lower than an DCC Equipped L&K, only 5mm. Its 15mm lower than a standard suspended Superb.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 08:39, Mr Grump said:

I can't compare to an L&K  Superb, but I had DCC on the Kodiaq and ran it in comfort pretty much all the time.

The Superb obviously feels firmer, but its not at all uncomfortable. This is subjective so TBH you really need to get an extended drive to come to your own conclusion.

The Sportline is not 15 mm lower than an DCC Equipped L&K, only 5mm. Its 15mm lower than a standard suspended Superb.

Agreed that is correct.  I run my 280 L & K all the time in normal, only in very extreme occasions do I worry about dropping it into sport mode, still rides and handles well for such a big car on 19" (that I spec'd on mine).  

Not tried eco or comfort mode.  Just not needed to.  Would I spec it if I didn't have it as standard on my L & K, probably, you have the options with DCC you don't get with the standard suspension which is always going to be, as it comes.

2 hours ago, RGKTSi said:

Agreed that is correct.  I run my 280 L & K all the time in normal, only in very extreme occasions do I worry about dropping it into sport mode, still rides and handles well for such a big car on 19" (that I spec'd on mine).  

Not tried eco or comfort mode.  Just not needed to.  Would I spec it if I didn't have it as standard on my L & K, probably, you have the options with DCC you don't get with the standard suspension which is always going to be, as it comes.

I could tell the difference between normal and sport set up in the L&K, especially on twisty roads in the Lake District at the weekend. I drive a VRS at the minute and like the firmer set up. I also drive my current car in normal drive (no DCC) most of the time, rather than eco or VRS mode - VRS feels slightly quicker, but MPG is more affected by driving style than the mode selected. 

With this being a forum and in the interest of sharing what I found out elsewhere before posting on here, this is what I found from reviews specifically about DCC on the Superb Sportline:

Auto Express - long term review (1.4 TSI) - suggested, but not essential

That’s mainly because the Superb steers, grips and stops so well. The Sportline’s firmer suspension dials out some of the body roll and doesn’t impact on the ride comfort. However, it is on the firmer side, so we’d suggest going for the £750 adaptive dampers*. Still, the front wheels hang on with tenacity in tight corners.

In general, the car is enjoyable to drive while remaining fluid and relaxed for cruising, even without the optional £750 adaptive dampers. It seems a great compromise so far, with the Sportline trim’s firmer Sport chassis settings and 19-inch wheels adding a bit of extra cornering grip and therefore composure, while staying on the right side of comfortable, even over bad surfaces.

*Is the DCC recommended to soften up the Sportline, whereas on others to tighten up?

Autocar (280 4x4) - don’t bother

Body control and dynamics are decent. Our example came without the optional adaptive dampers we’ve tried on other Superbs, but I don’t think it was any the worse for it. No, there’s no mode to stiffen body control or slacken it off, but the standard damping set up is a fine, supple, honest, compromise.

Evo - recommended (but not specifically on Sportline)

The latest model doesn’t change that, but it’s still the best Superb yet. What the new car lacks in tactility it makes up for in consistent responses, excellent body control and strong performance, particularly from the TSI models. Combined with handsome looks and a luxuriously spacious cabin, there’s plenty to commend it.

After driving both the 276bhp car and a 217bhp example, both are as brisk as their hot hatchback-sourced powertrains suggest. Paired with a slick six-speed DSG transmission and with the Dynamic Chassis Control option box ticked, each does a passable impression of a sports saloon – without sacrificing the Superb’s USP, comfort.

Precise cornering characteristics and impressive body control don't harm the Superb's excellent ride. Adaptive dampers are well worth the money, where available*.

We’ve also tried a car with standard, non-adaptive suspension. It doesn’t quite have the wide-ranging abilities of DCC-equipped cars, but it still offers a suitable compromise between ride and body control.

Admittedly, steering feel is next to non-existent in all modes, but the electronic assistance is refreshingly consistent and does at least allow you to be nicely accurate with inputs. The Superb is no sports saloon, but in pure and simple terms it’s more fun than its predecessor, and entertaining enough for a car of its type.

The lower-power 2.0-litre petrol is still brawny, producing 258lb ft of torque between 1500-4000rpm – a peak matched by the more powerful version, across a wider 1700-5600rpm range. The 187bhp diesel has the measure of both cars, with a 295lb ft peak – albeit developed over a narrower band, from 1750- 3250rpm.

* Is this a general comment on the range, not Sportline specific?

Telegraph - don’t bother

The options list includes a Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) system which lets you alter the steering weight, throttle sensitivity and suspension stiffness, but the differences are modest, so we wouldn't bother with this.

As you can see it's a real mixed bag, which is why I was keen to get the input of a Sportline owner.

• Thanks 1

Get the DCC. 

I have it and I rate it. 

I'd be gutted if I didn't have it tbh. I like the sport settings of suspension and steering for all driving situations so far. Makes for a very comfortable but sharp handling car. Maybe not as aggressive as my old Subaru Impreza WRX but for a big 'executive' or 'family' car I'm seriously impressed with my Sportline. 

5 minutes ago, TGR said:

Get the DCC. 

I have it and I rate it. 

I'd be gutted if I didn't have it tbh. I like the sport settings of suspension and steering for all driving situations so far. Makes for a very comfortable but sharp handling car. Maybe not as aggressive as my old Subaru Impreza WRX but for a big 'executive' or 'family' car I'm seriously impressed with my Sportline. 

Thanks @TGR. Did you try the car without it too? I'm also mindful you've got the added benefit of 4x4.

If the standard set up is somewhere between normal and sport modes on a permanent basis that could be just what's needed. A couple of the other posters on here refer to putting their DCC in comfort all off the time, whilst I never would. I'd flit between normal and sport, but if standard was somewhere in the middle that could be the sweet spot.

I appreciate hearing from someone with a Sportline, although with yours being a 280 4x4 unfortunately there's not a direct comparison, as I'm looking at fwd. 

As a side note, I mentioned the mixed review above to my contact at the dealership today and she said she was unable to advise me. I got the impression she wouldn't advise me or possible wasn't allowed. It didn't make sense as I asked what her and her colleagues thought of it from the demo cars, not just her personally. Slightly annoying as I've dealt with her for a few years. I've ended up asking the other dealerships in the region if they can get their hands on a 220 demo, as she says it's unlikely she will.

I did not try a superb without DCC, I'm afraid. 

Had my eyes on the 4x4 280 from the off. Wasn't interested in any other model. 

But just having all modes on normal in my car I suppose is a good enough comparison, sort of like turning it off(?) Anyway that's all I can offer, and I say get it.

It's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have it ;) 

Edited by TGR

1 minute ago, TGR said:

I did not try a superb without DCC, I'm afraid. 

Had my eyes on the 4x4 280 from the off. Wasn't interested in any other model. 

Ah, not to worry, thanks @TGR. 280 looks ace, but the premium on monthly cost, fuel and insurance knocked it out for me.

If I go down the heart over head choice I'm looking at the Seat Leon Cupra ST 300 4x4. I'd sacrifice space and some luxuries, but slightly more economical than 280 and very good deals on them at the moment. 

The 220 is the happy medium between the 190 diesel and the Cupra. 

I had DCC on my Passat CC (standard fit) and it really is excellent. On cost grounds I didn't add the option to my current Audi A3 S-Line but I did go for the sport suspension and not S-Line suspension.

You have to remember with DCC, that even when set to sport it is still adaptive and will provide a comfortable ride.  So drive on poor road surfaces and it will be smoothing it out. You cannot compare to having standard shock absorbers.

On the Passat CC I always had it in sport mode for the three years. It was still very comfortable. I selected sport mode because the 'drive select' modes on the B7 Passat was comfort, normal or sport and it changed the suspension, throttle and steering together and I preferred the steering set to sport.

Cost for DCC on the Superb was reasonable so ordered it with it - a no brainer. My car should be build this week.

I have the 220 ps DSG. I only do 5K miles a year and a lot of urban driving, so petrol was a no-brainer. The DCC is a very nice option. Mostly, I have an individual setting with the suspension in sport. I prefer the way it takes the speed bumps to the softer settings.

However, I once drove down to East Sussex on some back lanes with five passengers in the car. The sport setting was too brutal. I used the comfort setting and slowed down a bit – it made a real difference to the, um, comfort of the passengers. On the motorway, the normal setting is very nice.

The 220 ps motor is powerful enough that I sometimes wish for the 4x4. I have to ease in the throttle on quick starts.

After a year of driving, I've measured the mileage at the pump: 35.29 mpg. If that mileage scares you, get the diesel. I'll bet they're giving them away.

Anyway, yes, I am happy I spent the money on the adaptive suspension.

@rtj70 and @freelunch, thanks for posts. They make perfect sense and there's useful comparisons. 

I'm ok with 35mpg. Read on real world mpg sites it was around this, where 45-48mpg can be expected in the 190 diesel. I'll be doing more miles, but even still the 220 is cheaper per month and cheaper to insure, so not much in it after factoring in fuel. 

I'd like something a bit quicker from standstill than the diesel, although midrange they pull brilliantly. The 180 I've got in my VRS and the 190 Superb I drove over the weekend are/were no slouches through the gears. 

By the sounds of it, if you don't spec DCC you will always be thinking what it would be like.

On that basis, if you can afford it , get it :)

If I had spec'd my car personally, I would have added it, but am I disappointed in the stock sportline setup ? No.

if u get DCC, you can customise the settings with Individual Mode - mix and match various setting for the diffferent elements!!

suit them to your needs.

i don't have the 4x4, but the 220, and this is my customised drive settings:-

IMAG1273.thumb.jpg.caa523c6fcaf84caf73d78ac51b9be39.jpg

59 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

By the sounds of it, if you don't spec DCC you will always be thinking what it would be like.

On that basis, if you can afford it , get it :)

If I had spec'd my car personally, I would have added it, but am I disappointed in the stock sportline setup ? No.

@Mr Grump, you've got a point there. The extra cost isn't too much, but at the same time there's no point wasting money unnecessarily. I'm going to be leasing mine, so can spec in any combination I like. DCC, upgraded sound system, front parking sensors and rear wiper are on the list.

50 minutes ago, JR RS said:

if u get DCC, you can customise the settings with Individual Mode - mix and match various setting for the diffferent elements!!

suit them to your needs.

I drove a car with DCC last weekend and had a play around with the individual settings. I liked having the sports steering permanently set up (like you in your photo), then toggling between sport and drive for the drive/gear ratios with the DSG stick. In my Octavia I don't have DCC, but do have 3 driver modes. I usually drive in normal, but stick it sport for twisty roads - this firms up the steering, but doesn't do anything to the dampers. Coming out of fast motorway junctions I sometimes change the driving mode to get clear of slower traffic, but it's much easier with the toggling on the DSG. My individual mode is sport drive and normal steering, which is good for around town if you want to get clear of traffic at the lights etc.

56 minutes ago, JR RS said:

suit them to your needs.

How do you find your fuel economy on your 220?

3 hours ago, TomW80 said:

How do you find your fuel economy on your 220?

Been 3000 kms now, it's showing I've been doing 9.2L per 100kms.

I don't drive like a grandma - so no complaints.