Below the waistline operations.

TheWanderer

Guys.

Before you read any further, just be aware that it contains subject matter that you may not feel comfortable with.

I'd just thought I'd let you know about my recent experience of what's known as a THR or Total Hip Replacement operation.

I was admitted on the morning of Sept 7th and not long after met by the anaesthetist who was going to be in charge of my operation. Nice guy made me feel completely at ease until he told me that I wouldn't be having a general anesthetic, but my operation was going to be done using the epidural procedure and sedation technique instead, which had me a little concerned.

I was given the options:

1. To be fully awake whilst my hip was replaced and watch it as it happened. :blink:

2. Mild sedation where I could have my phone on playing music

3. Moderate sedation. Basically not like a general but ¾ of the way there.

I chose option 3.

Off I went to the room, had the epidural and that's most weird completely losing the feeling & sensation of everything below the waistline!

Anyway the operation was a success, although apparently I did have some difficulties whilst on the table. In that I suffered from an anaphylactic shock to something in the drugs that I was given. 

But worst was to come in that when I came around, everything around "That area" (as it's a family forum) felt like it was on fire, I was having a real allergic reaction to something I had severe hives and the itching I just couldn't stop and my skin was almost blood red and went almost slimey.

Anyway they gave me stuff to calm it down, however, it left me with.

A very shrunken manhood with absolutely no sensation with lacerations. 

Dead legs for the best part of two days.

The inability to pee or pass.

Hives/rashes in several places away from the operation site.

Now nearly 11 days later and after additional treatment with antiseptic creams, high doses of Morphine, Codeine and very strong antibiotics, things are slowly starting  to return, I've only just got sensation back in my groin/crotch, the hives/rashes have now subsided to virtually nothing apart from a little irritation around a couple of staples on the wound.

Things that haven't gone back to normal:

My right leg is partially numb

The urge to go for a pee, about every hour (about every 30-45 mins at night)

So if you're going to have an operation to have a THR or TKR (knee) and they offer you the route that I was offered, decline it, ask for a general anaesthetic, don't have an epidural, I would hate for anyone else to go through what I've been through and what I'm still suffering from in the pee & legs department, also there's the issue with the opiate based medication which I've been on for the last few months, in that I'm now starting to suffer from withdrawal symptoms, in that I'm feeling up one minute & really down the next.

What I have gained though is I'm now virtually pain free (no more arthritic pain), I'm still a little tender and stiff around the op site and lower back which only to be expected and I've been told that it'll be like that for about 1-2 months and it's nothing that I can't control with painkillers.

But I really did feel the need to put my experience of this down somewhere and so in the hope that no one else makes the wrong choice.

Edited by TheWanderer

Pleased to hear you are now on the road to recovery.

Mrs G had the same option 3 as yourself when she had a new knee firred last December. Every thing was a complete success and was up and around on sticks the following day and was home the next day so a 3 day stay in Hospital.

Looks like you were just unlucky or had some sort of reaction to the Operation

Thanks, I think, for sharing the details. Good to know it's been worth it though, hopefully you'll up and  running again soon.  A neighbour of ours had both his hips done separately and I know it wasn't the easiest thing to recover from and I needed to provide assistance to his wife a few times as he is a big fella. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of your hives/rashes and itching symptoms were down to the Morphine they had you on. 

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

Thanks, I think, for sharing the details. Good to know it's been worth it though, hopefully you'll up and  running again soon.  A neighbour of ours had both his hips done separately and I know it wasn't the easiest thing to recover from and I needed to provide assistance to his wife a few times as he is a big fella. 

I wouldn't be surprised if some of your hives/rashes and itching symptoms were down to the Morphine they had you on. 

I don't think it could have been the Morphine as once I'd returned to the ward they gave it to me several times and it had absolutely no effect on me apart from making me a bit sleepy for a while.

It didn't do any good when they gave it to me when I blew out my medial's & ACL last December, for that I was off for 5½ months, I'm expecting this to be sorted in about 8-12 weeks..

I just remember when I was on the ward and the lad in the next bed who'd rotated his foot 180 degrees had a bad reaction to morphine and came out in itchie hives. It's one of the listed side effects. If you'd had it before without issue then must have been something else. 

Fingers crossed for 8 weeks not 12. 

Sounds very much like a reaction to epidural compound rather than the op. Hope the recovery goes well though!

Most important advice i can give is..

Dont skip the physio sessions when you start to feel better, and dont thi k you need it anymore..

FIL did that with his first TKR and its never felt more than 95% okay. Stuck out the full physio programme post op on his second (other leg) and hes never had a complaint about that one.

I've got one problem one and the other on the way there. This is another reason for me to stay as I am, coupled with other horror stories from local place . Joke is that in the room there's a nurse ( much as in MacDonalds) asking if you'd like (not fries), but MRSA OR E COLI with it. :blink:

I'd have thought option 1 ,they'd have put a screen or something up to stop you seeing what was happening. That's what I got with a local job on my bits many years ago.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Edited by VWD

Epidural drug is usually diamorphine (heroin basically) and being fine with morphine doesn't mean you won't have a reaction to diamorphine. But it could have been a reaction to the carrier or preservative rather than the drug itself too.

Opiates will often produce a sensation of itching or things under the skin but not usually an actual skin reaction.

It might have even been a reaction to something they'd swabbed the area with, like iodine or another disinfectant.

However I hope your recovery continues.

Thanks guys. 

The one thing that has gone already is the "natty" green tights that they gave me. I was meant to wear them for 21 days, but my legs started to become extremely itchy and ulcerate, so they've gone and so have all the spots, bumps and itching. 

14 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Thanks guys. 

The one thing that has gone already is the "natty" green tights that they gave me. I was meant to wear them for 21 days, but my legs started to become extremely itchy and ulcerate, so they've gone and so have all the spots, bumps and itching. 

Time to get back in your fish nets then... or is that just me?

5 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Time to get back in your fish nets then... or is that just me?

but will he look as good in them as you?

24 minutes ago, Aspman said:

but will he look as good in them as you?

No way, I've got the legs for it. Besides I can give the hips wiggle, which Wanderer can't do without a hit of morphine first

Edited by CWARD
damn predictive text
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CWARD said:

No way, I've got the legs for it. Besides I can give the hips wiggle, which Wanderer can't do without a hit of morphine first

frankfurter.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your plight. As I understand it, allergic reactions to epidural anesthetics are rare, but you must have been among the few unlucky ones. I've had spinal anesthesia twice (removing bladder tumours) without any issues beside a mild but persistent headache for two days. So in most cases it can be preferable to general anesthesia, which isn't without risks. And feeling your lower half disappear is a fascinating experience.

Glad to hear you're on the mend :thumbup:

10 hours ago, Aspman said:

frankfurter.jpg

Aspman- it's a case of "Donald, where's your trousers/ kilt" :blush:

@TheWanderer Word of caution to do you physio and ensure you keep up with the exercises.

I was woken from my sleep late on Tuesday night by activity in the street outside. I went out to find out what all the commotion and tears where about. The neighbour I mentioned earlier had gone outside to have smoke, stumbled going down the patio steps and was sprawled out unable to get up and in a lot of pain, whilst his wife unable to help him went into panic mode. I managed to lift him up off the floor and onto a chair in more comfortable position. His right foot was at 90 degree angle pointing out as was his knee, not sure if he'd broken his hip or dislocated it, all we could do was make sure he comfortable'ish and that he still had a pulse in the leg which he did. Ambulance came, took over and carted him off to hospital. 

Spoke to his wife yesterday and luckily it's a dislocation and they are now deciding on the the best treatment. I know he has had problems before with the right hip after the op and sure it's down to the lack of exercises as wife complained at the time of him not doing them. My joking at the time with him that his leg will fall off seems to have come true.   

Physio keep up you must...

& losing feeling down their ain't fun, been there done that...especially when you can't feel to point when you need to pee...like being drunk trying to wrestle a garden hose.....I just gave up & sit the whole time, saves having to wipe up the lino...

Edited by fabdavrav