Fault codes

Hello all,

Just been told that if you plug in non VW diagnostics such as VCDS, OBDEleven etc. Then when a dealer plugs in their diagnostic equipment, it wipes all previous fault codes. Even if you haven't wiped them in VCDS or OBDEleven. Does anyone know whether this is actually the case, or have they just made this up?

Thanks

Edited by ahenners

As ODIS (dealer diagnostic equipment) isn't massively friendy, I do an autoscan with VCDS first then use ODIS to do whatever VCDS can't before doing final scans with VCDS. I've never noticed any missing fault codes...

I can't speak for OBDEleven but I'd be surprised if it cleared codes automatically too.

Who told you this?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, langers2k said:

As ODIS (dealer diagnostic equipment) isn't massively friendy, I do an autoscan with VCDS first then use ODIS to do whatever VCDS can't before doing final scans with VCDS. I've never noticed any missing fault codes...

I can't speak for OBDEleven but I'd be surprised if it cleared codes automatically too.

Who told you this?

Dealer my car isn't currently in with. Told me they couldn't find any issue, told them it was strange because of the fault codes I read but left on before it went in. They jumped down my throat telling me not to plug non VW diagnostics in and that any non VW diagnostics results in the codes being wiped when they hook it up. Sounded like BS, just wanted other opinions/confirmation!

Raising a complaint about the whole situation to Skoda UK and to the dealer anyway tbh. Was left without a car for over 48 hours after being towed to the dealer's on Saturday morning. Car was delivered late this morning when I was waiting to go on holiday. Dealer phoned me and said I could only have the car for 2 days despite VW agreeing to 5... Nobody seems to know their arse from their elbow...

Don't have a definitive answer for this but I can't see how ODIS would "know" which fault codes had not been removed by VCDS and then delete them (that seems to be what is being said).   Unless I'm very much mistaken VCDS does not update anything unless you specifically ask it to so if you don't update anything I'm not sure it leaves any trace on the car itself.

I can understand however why dealers do not want us plugging in anything that can update the car's coding.  It is potentially a void warranty issue? 

On  my previous Octavia VRS I certainly looked at fault codes with VCDS then took the car to the dealer to fix the underlying issue. I didn't tell them I had plugged in and they found the same faults.  This seems to disprove what the OP is being told. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, juan27 said:

Don't have a definitive answer for this but I can't see how ODIS would "know" which fault codes had not been removed by VCDS and then delete them (that seems to be what is being said).   Unless I'm very much mistaken VCDS does not update anything unless you specifically ask it to so if you don't update anything I'm not sure it leaves any trace on the car itself.

I can understand however why dealers do not want us plugging in anything that can update the car's coding.  It is potentially a void warranty issue? 

On  my previous Octavia VRS I certainly looked at fault codes with VCDS then took the car to the dealer to fix the underlying issue. I didn't tell them I had plugged in and they found the same faults.  This seems to disprove what the OP is being told. 

Thanks for posting your experience. Absolutely, I agree, I can understand that the dealer's don't generally want people plugging stuff in and changing stuff as it could cause them headaches etc.

But I'd literally just plugged in OBDEleven and run a scan for fault codes. The fault codes were definitely not cleared and I know that it doesn't clear them automatically - I've had fault codes from months ago left on despite plugging in numerous times since.

I wouldn't have mentioned using diagnostics, but to be told they "can't find anything wrong" despite me being broken down, towed to the dealer's via Skoda Assist, and having seen these fault codes personally before they looked at it today, I was completely amazed and not prepared to accept it. The likes of Autoglass and AA who have both worked on my car, also do not use VW diagnostics - wonder if their response to those outfits would be the same.

Screenshot_20170916-085846.png

The AA can do software updates at the roadside as you will see on the Official Skoda Roadside Assistance website if you look.

Was there not Fault Codes read by the Roadside Assistance / Recovery that came out to you?

4 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

The AA can do software updates at the roadside as you will see on the Official Skoda Roadside Assistance website if you look.

Was there not Fault Codes read by the Roadside Assistance / Recovery that came out to you?

No he didn't do any diagnostics. Fired it up, saw it was misfiring/smoking heavily with a strong fuel smell, then said it will need towing to the dealer's as it's not something he can sort.

3 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Was that a Recovery company or the AA?

Odd that there are no fault codes if it just went onto the Dealership.

It was the AA as arranged by Skoda Assistance. Not sure on their usual procedures - first time I've had a breakdown with Skoda Assistance. Hopefully the last too... Whole experience has been a nightmare.

14 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

You said Autoglass and AA have worked on your car, (without VW Diagnostics) what did the AA do work on?  

The AA use Licensed VW Diagnostics.

Didn't realise the AA had licensed diagnostics but was from a call out earlier in the year. Assuming this time because of the physical symptoms the car presented, the guy didn't feel the need to run the diagnostics. Didn't even think to question it tbh, just wanted to get off the side of a busy A road with my partner and 1 year old.

It is a legal requirement for all cars in europe to support the EOBD standard which allows reading fault codes & performing standard diagnostic routines with a generic OBD tool.

This is to allow 3rd party garages to be able to service & repairs cars (so that the OEMs dont have a Monopoly).

What your dealer has told you is complete rubbish.

However, it is always possible that when connecting VCDS or other diagnostic tool, it will clear the error codes automatically.

Obviously, if the error codes have been cleared by your tool or by the AA/pickup it will make the job of the Skoda garage harder as they will have to reproduce the faults for the fault codes to appear.

However, misifire & lots of smoke should be quite easy for them to diagnose without a fault code....

Edited by Gabbo

1 hour ago, Gabbo said:

It is a legal requirement for all cars in europe to support the EOBD standard which allows reading fault codes & performing standard diagnostic routines with a generic OBD tool.

This is to allow 3rd party garages to be able to service & repairs cars (so that the OEMs dont have a Monopoly).

What your dealer has told you is complete rubbish.

However, it is always possible that when connecting VCDS or other diagnostic tool, it will clear the error codes automatically.

Obviously, if the error codes have been cleared by your tool or by the AA/pickup it will make the job of the Skoda garage harder as they will have to reproduce the faults for the fault codes to appear.

However, misifire & lots of smoke should be quite easy for them to diagnose without a fault code....

That's the thing... What they actually told me is that if you have plugged non VW diagnostics then the codes will wipe when they plug in their VW diagnostics. This is regardless of whether you have wiped the codes with VCDS or similar. I made it clear to them I hadn't wiped the fault codes from it and it doesn't do it automatically.

5 hours ago, ahenners said:

That's the thing... What they actually told me is that if you have plugged non VW diagnostics then the codes will wipe when they plug in their VW diagnostics. This is regardless of whether you have wiped the codes with VCDS or similar. I made it clear to them I hadn't wiped the fault codes from it and it doesn't do it automatically.

This is completely false.

Whilst they might be able to see a log of previous diagnostic access there is no reason why the VAG tool would wipe fault codes automatically.

Ask them to put it in writing & Im sure they will back track on what they said.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've just found this via obdeleven and I found on just one occasion it did zap the fault codes.

It hasn't done it since.

My MY19 RS keeps showing oil sensor failure, obdeleven confirms this and says it's "Engine oil temperature sensor circuit" - FC - P019800.

I'm hoping that this will be covered by the warranty.

• 1 year later...

Hello guys,

I have a problem with my SKoda Octavia 3 Facelift, 2019. It is with Led lights, front and rear sides. I have an OBd Eleven, Pro. Today, I was playing with the app on my car and I am sure that I broked something. Can someone help me? When I am trying to delete the error, nothing happens.

Thanks!

post-729529-0-61830800-1603305033_thumb.jpg