Chipex or touch up kit

bigman1976

As my commute is mainly on the motorway, I've picked up a number of chips and a couple of slightly larger scrapes where stones have skimmed the bonnet. 

Just wondering if Chipex is worth the money or if I'm better off sticking with the Skoda kit?

To that end, does anyone mix the colour and clear coat? I've heard some do.

I remove the brush and tip contents into a 15-25ml plastic bottle. If not already mixed with lacquer I mix paint 60% with lacquer 40%. Give it a good shake. Then use a small amount on the end of a cocktail stick to stipple the paint into the chip, small amounts at a time building up. If done right you should get a nice flat and even covering. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Chipex kit for my Deep Blue Pearl Golf R32 as I had some rash on the leading edge of the bonnet. I tried multiple methods of application and it didn't work for me, the paint never seemed to stay in the damaged areas and would wipe away when clearing the excess. 

This may not be the case for you, and has worked for loads of people using various  methods,, but it certainly didn't work for me! 

If you can afford a blow over and then apply a road protection film such as 3M (they do kits) which will protect your paintwork. I've used the 3M stuff on my custom motorbike, protecting the powder coat on the front stantions, works wonders and can't see it's there.