Simple Question needs a Simple answer

The EA888 engine is everywhere across VAG and apart from slight kt different turbos is largely the same across many models, many of which are just separated by ecu map. So 230-245-265 I think are possibly identical mechanically, 280-290-300-310 likewise, though I think the latter have a bigger fuel pump and possibly turbo over the lower power engines used in the Octavia. In most of these engines, max torque is identical, the ultimate power appears to be managed by the engine speed at which the torque drops off, which I'm guessing is when boost pressure is reduced. 

Why stop at 245? ;)

But I guess the OP question is about an ECU swap, I assume from a donor car from breaker - I guess there is no point in doing that.

The price of the 245 ECU plus the price of defeating component protection to make it work on the new car would make it prohibitive.

Even a cheap remap will give you more for less money.

15 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Why stop at 245? ;)

But I guess the OP question is about an ECU swap, I assume from a donor car from breaker - I guess there is no point in doing that.

The price of the 245 ECU plus the price of defeating component protection to make it work on the new car would make it prohibitive.

Even a cheap remap will give you more for less money.

This. Theoretically possible by loading the map if the ECUs are same, or by swapping ECU if not, but completely cost (and effort?) prohibitive for the minor additional gain. 

12 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I would but you cannot get 245 stickers cos they don't make 'em   :shake:

Correct the 245 is identified by black "V" + facelift. 

5 hours ago, juan27 said:

I would have thought it's just a different map so theoretically just applying the 245 map to the 230 ECU would do it? 

Exactly. The only difference between these engines is probably just the ecu map, nothing else, so theoretically both could be remapped to the same higher output. 

17 minutes ago, stever750 said:

If it were me I'd be tempted to put 1.4TSI badges on a remapped 245....

Different bumpers, exhausts etc.  Debadged it still looks different from an SE or whatever.  I like the concept though.

37 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Correct the 245 is identified by black "V" + facelift. 

................................and the Black 19" extremes ( dark grey is the standard colour ) and black exaust tips.

Think I'll stick a greenline badge on mine along with a 1.6 Tdi 

20 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

You are not Fn wrong there

Mines heading south again, 22.2 avg mpg for the 1st 1350 miles

Aye, It will pass everything but a petrol station.

Mine is showing 25mpg over the first 260 miles which is a bit shocking.   Mind you I once saw 8mpg on the Maxidot on my O2 VRS eccelerating hard up an uphill motorway slip. 

What does the 230 do @Auric Goldfinger?

Edited by juan27

2 minutes ago, stever750 said:

Wow, sub 30mpg?? I had a long term average of 34-35 with my mk2 vrs which had a shark remap that would have been at least 245bhp. Even my leon cupra "320" averaged over 30 without much effort... 

New engines, tighter than a nun's chuff, be fine when they've been ragged rotten for a while

Edited by themanwithnoaim

1 minute ago, stever750 said:

Wow, sub 30mpg?? I had a long term average of 34-35 with my mk2 vrs which had a shark remap that would have been at least 245bhp. Even my leon cupra "320" averaged over 30 without much effort... 

Mine has only done <300 miles so the engine is still quite tight I guess but I can't see it improving as much as it needs to match my O2 VRS.