Overzealous m.o.t tester?

Bit of a boring post but today the wife's Fabia got an advisory for 'undertray fitted'. The only undertray is the small engine undertray (more of a splash guard) fitted from new by Skoda! Is this an overzealous m.o.t tester as there was nothing else mentioned. Anyone else had this one, it an 08 htp?

They were just letting you know (or anyone else) that they never checked what was covered by the undertray.

Just covering themshelves as there was a cover....

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

They were just letting you know (or anyone else) that they never checked what was covered by the undertray.

Just covering themshelves as there was a cover....

Basically this. Same if you have a babyseat they can't remove it to check that belt so may get an advisory for that. 

Fireproofing ass, I call it- I've had undertray fitted/ baby seat fitted and I'm waiting for mobility scooter in boot ( so spare can't be checked). Historical one I've had (all on MK1) is front discs worn/corroded. How can they tell me discs are worn ,when they can't take wheels off to measure? RAC bloke told me it's because it's either that they are looking for work to replace discs & pads ( for someone who is gullible) or they can't see that there is a bit of swept ( by brake pads) disc that is causing no problem.

Otherwise, it could be to let MOT checkers know that jobsworth is on ball

Edited by VWD

MOT testers will advise silly things sometimes and miss serious issues on other occasions. Mentioning under tray is to cover their back, as with baby seat. If the area hidden by such things is at fault, they THINK they are exempt from blame if something goes wrong! Funnily enough, to MENTION a fault can also put you in harms way as someone could state the you knew there was an issue but passed the car anyway! They will say they could not check a seat belt due to baby seat but in reality, they should have failed the car due to being presented unfit for examination... Same for worn brake discs. If the discs are worn too much, the examiner should fail you not warn you. They will look through the wheel and perhaps up and under the back of the wheel, felling the thickness of the lip where no wear takes place, to determine if the disc feels worn (Educated guesswork) Plus they look to see signs of scoring. I have been told of discs or pads being half worn on many occasions... Half worn is still half left so plenty of time to replace yet, perhaps next MOT even... Proper wear, if in REAL need of advise, to the point of noting it on the MOT should perhaps be a fail anyway as to say something is drastically worn is to let the driver carry on driving an unfit vehicle. Why have the check if it allows this? 

This is similar to a farmer who leaves mud on a road and puts up a sign to warn drivers of it... To do this means he/she was aware of the issue so they are now MORE liable if an accident occurs. They would have been better off not actually knowing or cleaning up the mess!

However, if the MOT tester only mentioned it to the driver, the driver might think its a minor thing to be done later and forget all about it. The advisory on the form is also now listed on computer so any potential new owner can see this information prior to purchase and use this to either barter or walk away! (If you have an MOT but lots of costly advisories, on a separate paper, are you going to present that to a potential buyer)? A pass is a pass, after all.

As for under tray though, I have engine under tray AND long under trays either side of the floorpan of my Fabia and have not ever had this mentioned despite the fact that the tester(S) Cannot see how much corrosion, if any, there may be underneath!