Map Upgrade Issues

Hi,

I am trying to update my NAV maps on my Superb III but i am having issues.

I have downloaded the file on to my MAC. I have formatted the SD card using exFAT and transferred the zip file onto the SD card.

When i go to NAV, settings and update information, i insert the card and it searches for the data but returns a message that says no data found or insert new source.

What am i doing wrong or what is going wrong? Any help much appreciated.

Regards Tony

Edited by Supernovas

30 minutes ago, Supernovas said:

What am i doing wrong or what is going wrong? Any help much appreciated.

I assume it's a Columbus?

1. You need to extract the contents of the .zip file, which on a Mac is best done onto your computer's hard drive and then copy the extracted files/folders to the SD Card - not the .zip file itself. You should have one text file and two folders on the card and nothing else. Some Mac zip extraction utilities may copy the contents to a single folder, in which case the file and two folders to copy to the SD Card are inside that folder.

2. If it still doesn't work it may be that you have hidden OS-X system files on the SD Card that are interfering. These can be removed with any one of the many free, shareware and commercial utilities. I personally use the commercial utility Blue Harvest as it keeps all my non-Mac discs clean in the background without any user intervention. Alternatively, if you have access to a Windows computer you can delete the OS-X hidden files and folders that start with a period, like .Trashes and .DS_Store. They show up as normal files/folders in Windows as it doesn't recognise them as system files.

8 hours ago, BillyJim said:

I assume it's a Columbus?

1. You need to extract the contents of the .zip file, which on a Mac is best done onto your computer's hard drive and then copy the extracted files/folders to the SD Card - not the .zip file itself. You should have one text file and two folders on the card and nothing else. Some Mac zip extraction utilities may copy the contents to a single folder, in which case the file and two folders to copy to the SD Card are inside that folder.

2. If it still doesn't work it may be that you have hidden OS-X system files on the SD Card that are interfering. These can be removed with any one of the many free, shareware and commercial utilities. I personally use the commercial utility Blue Harvest as it keeps all my non-Mac discs clean in the background without any user intervention. Alternatively, if you have access to a Windows computer you can delete the OS-X hidden files and folders that start with a period, like .Trashes and .DS_Store. They show up as normal files/folders in Windows as it doesn't recognise them as system files.

Don't use a Mac as it adds hidden files, which prevents the Columbus unit from recognising the updates.

Unless you know wat specific files have been added, and then remove them manually.

1 hour ago, Supernovas said:

Hi Billy Jim,

Yes it is the Columbus.

So to confirm, i undo the zip file and copy the folder across to the SD card or open the first folder and copy over the contents, then install in the car?

Thanks Tony

The only items you need to copy onto your empty SD Card is a file called metainfo2.txt, and two folders called Mib1 and Mib2. These must be at root level on your card (not inside a folder).

If the zip utility creates an enclosing folder it usually names the folder using the same name as the zip file, but the three items you need to copy are inside that folder. Do not simply copy the enclosing folder onto the card.

• Like 1

Can I just jump onto this thread and clarify a few things. I have a Columbus system that came with a maps data sd card in slot 1 of the car. In the glove box. Am I right in saying now that the map data is now on the internal hard drive of the system and the sd card is not currently being used?

If so can i use the sd card from skoda to get New updates online for the maps and then update the Columbus in turn as described above? 

Any help/ clarification is appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Neilmonstermell1 said:

Can I just jump onto this thread and clarify a few things. I have a Columbus system that came with a maps data sd card in slot 1 of the car. In the glove box. Am I right in saying now that the map data is now on the internal hard drive of the system and the sd card is not currently being used?

If so can i use the sd card from skoda to get New updates online for the maps and then update the Columbus in turn as described above? 

Any help/ clarification is appreciated.

You shouldn't have got a maps SD Card if you have Columbus, only if you have Amundsen. Columbus comes with the maps already pre-installed on its hard drive.

If you do have Columbus (if it's got a DVD drive then it's Columbus) then you can format the maps SD Card to give you an extra blank 32GB card that you can use for map updating, audio or video.

FORMAT it, don't just delete the files on it. It will initially appear smaller than 32GB but after formatting you will get the full 32GB.

Ok that's interesting. Yes it is an sel exec estate with Columbus and the drive and two sd card slots in the glove box. When I took delivery of the car the sd card was already in slot 1 with an empty DVD type box that it came in, in the glove box. Assuming they were left in from the PDI before I picked it up.

Thanks for the clarification. 

Well, after the download to the disc failing 3 times with cannot find map for Austria, Switzerland etc i finally decided to start over again.

I downloaded the file from the web site, extracted it, formatted my SD card and downloaded the files on to it, without issue. Today i try to load the files into the car, wish me luck.

Thanks Tony

Hi All,

Well the latest attempt has also failed. Seems the SD slots can read the data on the disc, which means either both SD slots are faulty (highly unlikely) of the data on the SD card is corrupt or unreadable. Is it because i am using a MAC and the readers don't like it?

Don't know where to go from here in order to get this resolved.

Anyone have the latest map upgrades on SD they can send me?

Many thanks Tony

1 hour ago, Supernovas said:

Don't know where to go from here in order to get this resolved.

It's almost certainly those hidden Mac system files causing the problem.

As I've said there are utilities for keeping non-Mac discs clean but I've attached a freeware app that may help you.

• Insert your SD Card into your Mac.
  • Run the Hidden Files app,
  • Open a window to view the SD Card contents.
  • Delete every file/folder on the card that starts with a period "." (they appear dimmed).
  • Pull the SD Card out. You will get a warning about it being incorrectly ejected - ignore it.
  • Re-run Hidden Files app to hide the system files.

Hidden Files.app.zip

• Thanks 1

Just to jump in here - I've downloaded on a windows pc and produced an sd card from the downloader.

First attempt I popped out to car a few times and it got past 80-90%. When I looked a bit later it said Error, update interrupted.

So I tried again, but get the interrupted error at 9% now

Tried again this morning with engine running in case it was a battery issue - same result

Any ideas ?

Hi Billyjim,

Followed your instructions to the letter with the same result, car cant read the data on my SD card.

I have however noticed when i put the SD card back into the mac the hidden files reappear. There is also a .Trashes faded out folder which i don't seem to be able to delete, don't know why this is either.

Anyone got a windows copy of the latest map updates for Columbus they could share?

Regards

Tony

5 hours ago, Supernovas said:

Hi Billyjim,

Followed your instructions to the letter with the same result, car cant read the data on my SD card.

I have however noticed when i put the SD card back into the mac the hidden files reappear. There is also a .Trashes faded out folder which i don't seem to be able to delete, don't know why this is either.

Anyone got a windows copy of the latest map updates for Columbus they could share?

Regards

Tony

This is another silly thing with Macs. After you delete something from an external card you then need to empty your trash before you eject to gain that space back. 

Well, it seems the issue is related to my MAC doing something with hidden files, which the Car cannot recognise and therefore won't load the data.

Many thanks to BillyJim for his unwavering support in helping me to resolve this matter and to anyone else who offered up solutions.

Regards

Tony

It is exactly to do with the hidden files. I went through the same pain and with the help of threads across the forum managed to make it work.

I would recommend the small utility CleanMy Drive which is a free app from the Apple App store.

Here's how I did it and I updated my maps successfully yesterday. Took about 25 minutes for the full update.

• Download and install Cleanly Drive (it sits on your taskbar at the top of the screen and is accessed from there). Play around with it using your SD card to see how it works.
  • Take a 32mb Sd card and format it using disk utility. Format it as FAT 32 - this will  leave Mac hidden files. If you want to see them press cmd+Shift+.(dot)
  • Delete these files and you will be left with a .Trashes file. You cannot delete this manually.
  • Empty your trashcan on the task bar. You have now removed any trash and just left the .Trashes file.. Clean my Drive will remove  this for you at the end of the process.
  • Copy the following files only to your SD card metainfo2.txt, and two folders called Mib1 and Mib2  just as BillyJim suggested.
  • Now open Cleanmy Drive. It should show you that the SD card has data and 'junk' on it and it will ask you to clean junk - do so.
  • Using Cleanmy Drive eject your card. 
  • Remove it and apply the lock tab (I don't know if this makes any difference but other successful updaters have suggested doing this)
  • Put the SD card in the car and it should recognise the files and update.

Hope this helps.

Ash

• Thanks 1