Water Leak

Drip

1.8 TSi octavia plus 2011. Yes i have a water leak and its going to cost me a lot of money to fix it BUT it already has and I'm no closer to solving the problem. I have symptoms that will put it all together for someone but unfortunately mechanics is not my speciality. Symptoms: Water goes from max to zero in the expansion vessel after about 100 miles. If i was to top it up from the min to the max line on the vessel a load of water/coolant would stard dripping through the holes of the cover underneath the car BUT in the water level in the vessel does NOT drop. The amount of water that drips out under the car is quite significant probably more than the amount i topped it up with. I changed the radiator myself with no change so i took it in to the garage and they identified the "oil seperator" changed it but with no success. After changing the oil separation unit he said there was an "auxiliary pump" above the separation unit which had signs of staining on it so that could be the culprit. He said the pump was driven by a small belt and he wouldn't be capable of doing the job. Does anybody know what this auxiliary pump above the oil separation unit is and it it a known issue? Many thanks for any help and apologies for the essay.

It's not an auxiliary pump.  The one driven by the belt is the actual water pump.  

If the garage says it's too hard then find a decent garage with proper mechanics as it isn't a hard job.  It takes less than a day and only requires basic tools.

Change the pump and the housing (you can buy a kit that has new belt, thermostat, etc.  the main thing is to torque the housing bolts exactly to specification (it's like 8NM IIRC) or you will crack the housing.

Has anyone put a pressure tester on it?

And yes, the water pumps are a problem.  I've had two in 180,000km.  Did the 2nd one myself.  It was time consuming but not technically difficult.

PS: paragraphs make reading easier.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, tips and information it's much appreciated.

Disappointed that a so called "reputable" local garage cannot identify the water pump.

Now for the scary question - How much would you suspect this repair to cost including the kit?

Its been pressure tested twice, once by the Skoda garage and once by my reputable garage and no issues were identified. Does that suggest that it could be anything else?

Thanks again

18 hours ago, Drip said:

I have identified this kit:

https://m.motor-doctor.co.uk/products/7938220-water-pump-timing-belt-kit

Would this be ok or is there one that is recommended?

that doesn't appear to have the housing.

I bought my kit off ebay from China.  It was cheap at AUD120 (Jan 2017).  Genuine in AUS was around AUD600, so it was worth the risk.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EA888-w-Belt-1-8TFSI-2-0TFSI-Engine-Water-Pump-For-VW-Jetta-GTI-Passat-AUDI-SEAT-/182471484724?hash=item2a7c25e534

Find someone that's done it before and it should take them 5-6 hours. (I have no idea what your hourly rate is in UK).  

If the car is anywhere 50,000 miles + then get the inlets cleaned at the same time.  That will be anywhere from 4-8 hours unless they have a walnut blaster which is much quicker (so maybe find somebody that has done VW inlet cleaning and has a walnut blaster).

Don't forget that they have to change coolant and you may as well get the oil 7 filter done at the same time (filter has to come off to remove inlet).

• 2 years later...
On 20/09/2017 at 05:37, brad1.8T said:

that doesn't appear to have the housing.

I bought my kit off ebay from China.  It was cheap at AUD120 (Jan 2017).  Genuine in AUS was around AUD600, so it was worth the risk.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EA888-w-Belt-1-8TFSI-2-0TFSI-Engine-Water-Pump-For-VW-Jetta-GTI-Passat-AUDI-SEAT-/182471484724?hash=item2a7c25e534

Find someone that's done it before and it should take them 5-6 hours. (I have no idea what your hourly rate is in UK).  

If the car is anywhere 50,000 miles + then get the inlets cleaned at the same time.  That will be anywhere from 4-8 hours unless they have a walnut blaster which is much quicker (so maybe find somebody that has done VW inlet cleaning and has a walnut blaster).

Don't forget that they have to change coolant and you may as well get the oil 7 filter done at the same time (filter has to come off to remove inlet).

Has your Chinese made cheap water pump stood the test of time? 

2 hours ago, gaffer1986 said:

Has your Chinese made cheap water pump stood the test of time? 

Yes.  There have been no issues.

Caveat:  Prior to Jan 2017 I was doing 25k km per year.  These days I commute by public transport so the water pump has probably only done 30k km at most.