Emissions remap

matnrach

It doesn't work like that. The ECU measures pressure differential across the DPF and when it reaches a certain level, it initiates an active regeneration. This will be at or near 100 % loading of the DPF. The ECU can't directly measure the soot mass accumulated in the filter, it calculates an estimate based on differential pressure.

If an active regeneration is interrupted by engine shut down, it'll try again the next time the car is used. If it's repeatedly interrupted then you will eventually get an orange DPF warning light on the dash, and a warning on the MFD to go for a regeneration drive (this is outlined in the manual). If you don't do this, you'll eventually end up with a red DPF warning light and an instruction to drive to your dealer, where you may well be told the DPF is toast and needs replacing.

An additional consequence of repeated interruption of regens is that you'll end up with fuel in the engine oil: during active regeneration, extra fuel is injected near the end of the combustion cycle to flow through to the DPF to help it light off. If you interrupt regeneration, this fuel stays in the cylinder and drains down into the sump after shutdown.

As much as possible the engine will try to regenerate passively during normal operation. This usually happens on longer runs where the engine can get fully up to temperature and stay there for long periods. Under these conditions, the soot in the DPF is constantly being burned off without any change in engine operation.

Passive regeneration is part of the NOx management strategy employed in these engines: it's actually NOx that's used to burn off the accumulated soot, converting the soot to CO2 and the NOx to molecular nitrogen gas.

• Like 1

The percentage figure on the EGR valve is an indication of how far closed it is, a higher value indicates less exhaust gas being recirculated into the intake. If you're in a position to monitor it at full power, you'll probably see it near or at 100 % as the engine pulls in as much fresh air as possible to maximise power.

The ever position shown is instantaneous and changes all the time. Looks like I am averaging 300miles between regenerations but as I commented before when it regenerates it does not return to 0% or 0g of soot 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Razzertrevor said:

Thanks my friend I've only looked at it at tick over I'm hoping it's not going to regen as much now its Had update rolled back

Where did you get it done? 

I've had yet another communication from Skoda UK. It seems that they've finally accepted that many owners do not wish to have the "fix" and you can now officially opt out by visiting www.serviceaction.co.uk. You enter your VIN and Reg. No. and you will apparently be taken off the mailing list. I'll wait and see what happens next.

Drefaldwyn

That's good news for you who made the decision not to have it done but they still won't except that it as balls up a lot of cars and for people who have had it done. I hope the next thing is they roll back the cars they have done hahaha

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jafo said:

@drefaldwyn received - I think the same - leaflet few days ago - but I won't be replying in any way, in case they want to use it against me in the future. 

I figured that either responding or burying my head in the sand and ignoring it wouldn't materially affect anything. After all they'll know whether or not your car's had the fix anyway and can also demonstrate that they've taken all reasonable steps to contact you. 

As always, it's up to the individual - do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Drefaldwyn

Do what ever might cost you less and save your nearest and dearest having to pursue the VW Group and management over Corporate Responsibility, 

& the UK Government for allowing the German Authorities to lead them with Approvals of not fit for purpose Defeat Device Removal and new Engine Management.

http://channel4.com/news/vw-software-fix-has-damaged-vehicles 

All to come out in the wash yet!

• Like 1

If you had the software I guess you could find the EGR demand map and set it to zero. What the consequences of that is I don't know.

Finding all the maps for the EGR demand would be demanding!

Edited by matnrach

How many more miles between regens do you think you have got with the rollback?

When I get a regen the soot does not return to zero either

Hopefully I will get mine done in the next week or so and will do some statistics as I have taken quite a few data logs with the Torque App with the 'fix' map

Just had the rollback done today. Initial impressions are a slight improvement in response although it wasn't bad before (as the car hasn't done too many miles)

Around town and on the A roads at cruising speed, the EGR rate does appear to be less and the number of miles to increase the soot level appears lower but will have to wait to see the overall effect on consumption and the mileage between regens.

• Like 2

On 28.10.2017 at 23:17, Razzertrevor said:

Just had first regen since rollback still 5.4 g of soot after regen is this normal

Just installed app.

Almost 500 kilometers since last regen. Regen took about 13 minutes, after regen still 5,4 g of soot, 22% of full left.