Mechatronics failure - DSG

Igdos

I have a 2013 Octavia (Mark 3) 1.6 TDI with DSG.

85,000 trouble free miles just ended. 

Tried to pull away and lost all drive, no gear could be engaged and had this error:

59c13e6c46bf3_photo(2).thumb.JPG.72553a5926d55edb600befa7d07fa575.JPG

Turns out the Mechatronics unit has failed.

I see I'm not alone with DSG problems - thread below from a few weeks ago.

Well aware of the potential DSG issues before I got the car but genuinely thought Skoda/VAG would have had this sorted by now.

£1,600 to replace - out of warranty on mileage/age (of course would never have happened earlier!) 

Spoke to Skoda CS who say any goodwill can only be granted by dealership, dealership agreed to 10% and no further and some dealers would offer none.

With it being out of warranty, I don't think there's anywhere else I can go? 

If it's any consolation Igdos, ( & I know it won't be !) my Honda Civic Sport suffered a CVT  gearbox failure just 3 months out of warranty - quoted cost to repair £10,000 (yes TEN thousand pounds). Honda offered £6500 as a goodwill gesture, & having no option other  than to pay the rest ( otherwise no car) I gave the go ahead to effect the repair. On collection I drove direct to a Skoda dealership and ordered an Octy 3 on a PCP, but also harangued every man & his dog belonging to Honda, including the European HQ, with my feelings on such a fault ( swarf in the unit apparently) occurring shortly after it had been serviced, including gearbox oil renewal. After many, many emails, & phone calls, including constant rejections I eventually got them to admit that the failure was not my fault, and consequently I received a cheque for all the money I'd had to pay - RESULT !!

Previously I'd tried the Ombudsman, Honest John, Watchdog at AutoExpress, even Citizens Advice etc, none of which were any help whatsoever, but by pestering the upper echelons at Honda HQ (t'internet was wonderful for giving me information on who / where to contact them) I eventually got them to increase the goodwill payment - I personally would go down that route, accepting , as I did, that the dealership wouldn't / couldn't increase their offer, but the "big boys" could ! You've a greater chance of success if your car has been fully  serviced solely by Skoda dealerships.

I feel your pain regarding your 'box, but don't give up, persevere with your claim for an increased financial gesture -I wish you success.

JKW

Igdos,

Was and is your DSG one that Skoda has as needing the Service Campaign, '34H5' started last year late on for some DQ200 DSG 2013-2015,

It is a Software Update.

The Dealership or Customer Services should be telling you if it is one that 'They Know' could have issues / failures.

I take it you DSG was one built after the DQ200 that needed service Campaign '34F7' to change the Synthetic Oil for mineral and needed a Software Update, 

so not part of that Service Campaign, which was also a World Wide Recall, just not in Europe.

^^^ Plenty have done, with the last Brand Director & this CEO, 

you get them the message, they get a Senior Communications Manager onto it, they say Dealers Give Goodwill, you get an Independent Engineers Report and a Solicitor and then are prepared to take VW / Skoda UK to court, they get the idea and you get somewhere.

Blackmail does not even come into it.

There are as VW Group know ' Fundamental Design / Manufacturing / Material / Software & Quality Control issues including fluids and there was a World Wide Recall & Service Campaigns and extended warranties which excluded Europe were there were Service Campaigns a year after the Rest of the World.

Then still failures after Design & Manufacturing / Software Updates.

So simply if VW Group want to defend their action, provide in court in England / Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland the statistics on DQ200 produced and the failure rate they can easily do that, then it will be in the public domain.

Funnily recently when owners have started legal actions VW Group are saying, They are not the Manufacturers of the DQ200 DSG's, so do not take us to court.

So in New Zealand & other regions proper Service Campaigns or 'RECALLS',  in Europe have every owner fighting their own corner.

eg, Limited number vehicles, do the right thing.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

Other world regions,

VW Group does what Authorities / Regulators and the market forces you to, or where the courts will rip you another anus.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/293145-dsg-issues-or-even-real-problems 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

@BATVANVRS - thanks for options, because there's a 2 year Skoda warranty on the part if Skoda replace it, I'm going ahead with it being done at the dealers

@JKW - that sounded horrendous but good result in the end, will be putting something in writing to Skoda UK in any case

@Headinawayoffski With the recalls - the thing is when the AA took the car in to the dealer they immediately told me it needed a 'service campaign' and there was a chance that would have fixed it - seemed really unlikely! I've always had it serviced at Skoda franchises but I recently moved so it's now with another dealer network. Seems as though the previous Skoda garages never checked or couldn't be bothered to do it. It is the DSG7 box so is due the campaign. Having said that I checked the online recall VIN checker http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions and my car comes back clear. Will add this for my letter to Skoda UK. Part of the reasoning for the 10% limit on goodwill was that I didn't have my car serviced at that dealer network so 'I didn't show goodwill to them' as the Manager there said! That's only because I lived in another part of the country! That is why it should be Skoda UK doing something - the customer is cut adrift and has to plead their case with a dealer. Will see how I get on.

@TDIum Will be trying the goodwill route definitely. DSG/Mechatronics should be something that lasts the lifetime of the vehicle. For it to go at 4 years isn't good enough, especially the high cost of the part. Even more so that Skoda/VAG have known DSG is flaky so would push to improve the reliability of the units.

VW Group UK persuade the DVSA in the UK no RECALL was required and that if they had Registered Keeper deatails they could do a Service Campaign as 

Possible Loss of Drive was not 'Safety Critical' in the UK, 

Having vehicles Serviced at Main Dealerships or not does not mean that VW Group get away without current or future 'Registered Keepers' being informed of '34F7' service campaign.

& as the DQ200 has no Service Schedule / Guidelines, no Keeper / Owner is failing to abide by Manufacturer Schedule or Guidelines.

The latest Service Campaign '34H5' is being missed on vehicle right now, and it seems to be a SSS Campaign.

Skoda Secret Service Campaign, on a need to know basis, and not worth putting out in a Press Release or on a Skoda good news only website.

Have never had any letters/comms about any service campaigns.

The paperwork from the previous services say the car was checked for any campaigns - does look as though that just isn't right.

When I go to get the car back will find out which campaign it was 34H5 or 34F7

Might even have needed both! If so that will be definitely going in the letter as well. 

34F7 had letters from VW (VW, Skoda, Audi,SEAT) to Registered Keepers after May 2014, & calls from some dealers, or told at a Dealership.

That was on DQ200 which should nly be 2009-2013

34H5 just started late 2016 has no letters coming out, just maybe a Dealership Employee tells you if the car is in at them.

PS

Both should not need doing,

34H5 is on the DSG after VW Group had sorted their Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Software or Fluid faults and quality control out.... with a World Wide Recall, Service Campaigns, Fluid change and software updates, even MCU's replaced.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Igdos said:

.... DSG/Mechatronics should be something that lasts the lifetime of the vehicle. For it to go at 4 years isn't good enough, especially the high cost of the part. Even more so that Skoda/VAG have known DSG is flaky so would push to improve the reliability of the units.

I agree they should last longer than that. But in fact you have done 84000 miles, and these things age by distance and not by time, so that is more like 7 years use at average mileage rates. 

The fact is, things can and do go wrong, especially complex manufactured things. Perhaps the original design or manufacturing was not so great, but the fact it has lasted that much time indicates this not a manufacturing defect. 

I don't mean to be a bearer of bad news but you may just be unlucky and out of pocket. I hope you get it sorted out at minimum cost to yourself. 

Got the car back.

The outstanding 'campaign' work was 34H5 which has now been done.

But - this never shows on the Skoda VIN recall checker with the car's details.

No letters, no emails to owners to make them aware.

Google shows the campaign is:

Service campaign 34H5
Transaction No.: 2046482/2
Gearbox control unit
Release date: 12-Jan-2017

Technical background
On vehicles with 7 speed dual clutch gearbox the brake pressure accumulator can get damaged because of the high hydraulic system pressure. This causes a leak in the system and the warning lamp comes on.
Remedy
On the affected vehicles the gearbox control unit software has to be updated

So Skoda are happy to let DSG customers drive on until breakdown - when you arrive with the AA van and your car in tow you'll find out the whole mechatronics unit is fried, they'll get it changed, charge you for the privilege but never mind they'll do the 'campaign' FOC......

Volkswagen group dont want any more negative publicity around the DQ200 gearbox as they claim that they have fix the problem several years ago.

Thats why they just do the update when the car is at service without the customer knowing.

This is something most car manufactures do.

• Like 1

Not something the VW Group can do in the UK, just do it and not let the Vehicles Owner know, they might be getting away with that though,

& Dealership Employees are maybe failing to let owners / keepers know.

For the sake of safety owners / drivers need told a Software Update has been carried out, 

a vehicle can behave differently, and as it is a Road Test should be carried out by a Qualified Dealership Employee namely a Technician 

before a Owner / Driver gets back in to drive.  'Road Test Dummy really, trusting the Manufacturer and their work'....

No Service Manuals gives Manufacturers & Dealership too much room for Pith Taking and stuff just 'On the System', 

always ask for the 'Stuff' to be printed out.

A members invoice from another DQ200 DSG Recall Thread.

20170303_135132.jpg.e383fa433bc98ff7dfbe9807484bfdef.jpg

55 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Not something the VW Group can do in the UK, just do it and not let the Vehicles Owner know, they might be getting away with that though,

& Dealership Employees are maybe failing to let owners / keepers know.

For the sake of safety owners / drivers need told a Software Update has been carried out, 

a vehicle can behave differently, and as it is a Road Test should be carried out by a Qualified Dealership Employee namely a Technician 

before a Owner / Driver gets back in to drive.  'Road Test Dummy really, trusting the Manufacturer and their work'....

No Service Manuals gives Manufacturers & Dealership too much room for Pith Taking and stuff just 'On the System', 

always ask for the 'Stuff' to be printed out.

A members invoice from another DQ200 DSG Recall Thread.

20170303_135132.jpg.e383fa433bc98ff7dfbe9807484bfdef.jpg

Interesting - the dealer I was at was very reluctant to give me paperwork actually documenting the 34H5 work - it was not stated on the invoice paperwork. I had to specifically ask for proof of this and they typed up a separate document. If I had not asked I would not have been given anything.

• Like 1

Skoda / VW Secret Service / Plonkers, seem to forget that there can be corporate responsibility and that Service History & Maintenance & Warranty work carried out is information belonging to the Owner and should be available to future owners / drivers / keepers.

Treat customers like Mushrooms, keep in the dark and shovel them sh!te.

Hi Guys 

I have 2014 Skoda Octavia 2 months out of warranty. I believe Its got a Mechatronics issue. The other day the gearbox is showing gearbox error. 

I believe there was re-call on the gearbox control unit. My question is the gearbox control unit the same as Mechatronics unit?

Re-details are :

Service campaign 34H5
Transaction No.: 2046482/2
Gearbox control unit
Release date: 12-Jan-2017

I dont want to pay 1600 pounds for a new Mechatronics unit so I am trying to fight with Skoda , especially because its just 3.2 years old with 64000 miles.

Thanks

Welcome. 

The Mechatronic Control Unit / MCU  is a Control Unit.

There is an ECU for the Car / Engine and a Control Unit / ECU for the DSG, and the software update is to this.

• Sad 1