Help me choose my first Fabia mk3 1.2tsi 90 or 1.0 110bhp SEL

EdHru

Hi all 

Well it looks like I will be joining you guys and girls at Fabia mk3 club. Been a loyal vw owner for the last 15 years, 1 mk5 Golf 1.9tdi and now I am on my 4th polo 1.4tdi 90ps SEL model. looking to move into the petrol world and I really like the look of Fabia mk3. Had a chance to test drive the new 1.0 tsi 95bhp engine which I really liked.

Now, I really need advice from you good people, having been a diesel user since my first car really don't know much about petrol engines. Having read more posts I am getting my self even more confused between 1.2tsi and the new 1.0tsi engines.

I have been loking to purchase an ex demo (would be a cash buyer, no part exchange as the current car is on company lease which is going back) approved used car from a dealer in SEL spec, found one approved used with 1.2tsi engine 90bhp, 66 plate January 2017 registered with 7.5k miles on the clock was told that it was a customer who bought it on finance but 8 months down the line she exchanged it for a different model hence this is now for sale on their forecourt, it's Liverpool Skoda, and the car is in metallic blue on sale for £11,995. bit suspicious of this, car change after 6-7 months thing? or am I being paranoid. the other good thing is low road tax of £20pa. Dealer confirmed that the remaining warranty is for two and half years on the car. Should I trust trust them, somehow suspicious of this early car change that the lady has done, any advice on this how to check except just seeing V5 document? I asked them straight is there anything wrong with the car and they said it's not and that is in a mint condition, of course I would go andsee it before commitment.

However Cardiff Škoda are selling identical model, SEL 1.2tsi 110bhp for £10,995 with similar milage but it's their curtesy car, which I am not that keen as probably quite good number of people have been driving it.

Another car that I have been offered by  the same dealer is their current demo 17 plate, July registration 450 miles on the clock, but it has the new 1.0 tsi engine 110bhp ESL spec  for 12,995 to include 1 x free 1st service, but the road tax is £140pa on this car also in metal blue. so in essence 1k more for the new engine and 7,000 miles less on the clock. Oh, I forgot to mention that I am intending to keep the car for as long as possible.

I live in rural Wales, A road commute 25 miles per day 2-3 times a week with business use taking me to some hilly areas for customer visits. 

So, i am after some expert advice and guidance from you people is the 66 plate a good deal price wise, having read it appears that 1.2tsi 90bhp engine is favourite amongst the owners, or is the newer model with 1.0 110bhp better, I am not a fast driver, well can't drive that fast where we live, lol. which car would be better and better choice financially to keep it for a while.

Sorry for the long post, though just to give a better picture for constructive debate. Many thanks in advance, your advice would be much appreciated.

Whilst I can't comment on the 1.2 engine, I have recently taken delivery of a 67 plate Fabia 1.0 110 SEL with manual transmission. My previous car was a Focus 1.5 TDCi.

I've been extremely impressed with the 1.0 110 so far. It's extremely quiet and has plenty of pull at the lower end of the RPM range. When driving at 70mph, it demands roughly 2100rpm in 6th gear. It seems pretty economical too, although I haven't done enough miles to give any sensible information at this stage.

I did test drive an older 1.2 90, and it was very good - but I do feel that the 1.0 110 offers a superior experience. The 6th gear really settles things down when cruising on the motorway.

I have the 4 cylinder 1.2 TSI, 110 PS with the DSG gearbox.  Engine very smooth and quiet.  Not driven the 1.0 TSI but they have a good reputation, particularly on Briskoda.  I believe they have better fuel economy but not sure by how much.  Road tax is £20.

I have dealt with the Skoda main dealer in Liverpool for the last 9 years and have no complaints.  Can't see any reason why you shouldn't trust them but if you decide to buy from them, haggle hard, quoting the price of the comparable car at Skoda Cardiff.  They can only say no.  Also check with Skoda Customer Service for the car's history (if it has any).  Let us know what you decide.

1 minute ago, nbramwel said:

I have the 4 cylinder 1.2 TSI, 110 PS with the DSG gearbox.  Engine very smooth and quiet.  Not driven the 1.0 TSI but they have a good reputation, particularly on Briskoda.  I believe they have better fuel economy but not sure by how much.  Road tax is £20.

I have dealt with the Skoda main dealer in Liverpool for the last 9 years and have no complaints.  Can't see any reason why you shouldn't trust them but if you decide to buy from them, haggle hard, quoting the price of the comparable car at Skoda Cardiff.  They can only say no.  Also check with Skoda Customer Service for the car's history (if it has any).  Let us know what you decide.

Very tempted to nip to Liverpool over the weekend. I haven't dealt with the dealerships in the past as always had a company car bit hesitant on that side to be honest and I don't want to be conned. I am sure they can do some price reduction. the car was bought in January by the original owner this year and has 7.5 miles on the clock is that much in your opinion? As the car is less than 1 yr old there wouldn't be any service on it. Would Škoda customer services disclose if there was any issues with the car post sale which would prompt the original owner to change it that soon?

If you ask they must tell, so ask in writing.  Get a reply in writing, and everything agreed with the sale in writing.

Who was the car first registered / supplied to, VW Finance or some other lease or hire company, or Motability.

Or is it a Management Car.  Skoda owneed it?

Has it had any Warranty Remedial Work or checked for faults, and what history is on the Skoda System,

What was the cars build date?  (so what is the difference between build & first registered).

If the car is on Fixed Servicing @ 9,400 Miles / 372 days then allow for servicing soon, get price down, or have them do it, 

but whatever, ask in writing.

If at servicing you want it on Variable you can have it changed to that. or left on Fixed.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

2 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

If you ask they must tell, so ask in writing.  Get a reply in writing, and everything agreed with the sale in writing.

Who was the car first registered / supplied to, VW Finance or some other lease or hire company, or Motability.

Or is it a Management Car.  Skoda owneed it?

Has it had any Warranty Remedial Work or checked for faults, and what history is on the Skoda System,

What was the cars build date?  (so what is the difference between build & first registered).

Sorry being really thick here, should I pop this question to the dealer directly or to Škoda customer serviceservices? Also what do you mean get the sale agreed in writing, do you mean warranty, roadside assistance any incentives etc. Thank you so much for your assistance with this. Paranoid or what lol...

This is a copy of what I had from the dealer yesterday.

"Our blue 66 place Fa­bia is a fantastic choice. My colleague Gerry sold it new to his good customer Mrs xx xx xx (i delited this), and she then changed it very quickly due to some fantastic deals we were doing at a time.

She has really looked after the car. So the car has one prev­ious lady owner, it has been registered on 14/01/2017 so it is less than a 1 year old. It is in fant­astic condition and is very clean, we al­so looked after it here. We also applied floor mats t the ca­r, front and rear mud flaps and a LifeSh­ine treatment which protects paintwork, glass work and inter­ior of the car".

Good. If all is well, then swell.

As long as she never run Driving School or Car Hire Company.

Amazing how often Mrs. or Mr. xx xx xx is the Finance Director, or Company Secretary or just the lady that works in the office, 

but then thats the way the UK Car Trade has been for decades.

You know they lie when their lips move.

3 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Good. If all is well, then swell.

As long as she never run Driving School or Car Hire Company.

Amazing how often Mrs. or Mr. xx xx xx is the Finance Director, or Company Secretary or just the lady that works in the office, 

but then thats the way the UK Car Trade has been for decades.

You know they lie when their lips move.

I know it's always the lady drivers haha. Just out of interest is there a possibility at all to find out exactly who was the owner except just Mrs. Xxx. How would I know if she was a driving instructor for example as you suggested. What if the car was registered to Mrs. Xxx and address was on VW Finance Co Ltd should that put me off the car or is this just one of those things regarding cars being pre registered so the dealerships meet their quotes for car sales?

You can only do what you have done, and that is good.

They can spin it as they want, but if there are ever issues the Dealer Principal knows you asked and employee replied.

In writing was just me saying, trust the friendly sales staff only while you can see them, have any promises in writing with the salespersons name and signature, 

next week they might work in Toy's R us. 

Enjoy whichever car, and feel better that you asked questions and the law means they have to give truthful answers if they know the answers.

6 hours ago, EdHru said:

This is a copy of what I had from the dealer yesterday.

"Our blue 66 place Fa­bia is a fantastic choice. My colleague Gerry sold it new to his good customer Mrs xx xx xx (i delited this), and she then changed it very quickly due to some fantastic deals we were doing at a time.

She has really looked after the car. So the car has one prev­ious lady owner, it has been registered on 14/01/2017 so it is less than a 1 year old. It is in fant­astic condition and is very clean, we al­so looked after it here. We also applied floor mats t the ca­r, front and rear mud flaps and a LifeSh­ine treatment which protects paintwork, glass work and inter­ior of the car".

Floor mats are standard in the SE L

6 minutes ago, moley said:

Floor mats are standard in the SE L

So 1st lie uncovered already. I am sure that Mrs. x is part of the management team from the back office as well. Guys from your opinion is 7,500 miles lots for this age of the car?

Or am I better off buying their current demo1.0L 110 SEL with 450 miles on the clock for £1000 more, but it's road tax is 140 per yeas as opposed to £20 for the 66 reg which is 1.2tsi 90bhp, dilema. I just alo found Polo 1.0L Bluemotion SEL 66 plate in Wirral VW for 12.750 with 3k miles on the clock with LED headlamps? I wish there is one choice, like Lada or something, take it or leave it commerade.

2 minutes ago, EdHru said:

So 1st lie uncovered already. I am sure that Mrs. x is part of the management team from the back office as well. Guys from your opinion is 7,500 miles lots for this age of the car?

Or am I better off buying their current demo1.0L 110 SEL with 450 miles on the clock for £1000 more, but it's road tax is 140 per yeas as opposed to £20 for the 66 reg which is 1.2tsi 90bhp, dilema. I just alo found Polo 1.0L Bluemotion SEL 66 plate in Wirral VW for 12.750 with 3k miles on the clock with LED headlamps? I wish there is one choice, like Lada or something, take it or leave it commerade.

I bought the wife a Mk3 estate earlier this year, 66 plate 1,2 110 SE L. Spent a long time looking around, because there are standard SE L's and others with options. We ended up with electric windows all round, front & rear sensors, panoramic roof and a spare wheel. Go for the SE L 110 with the 6 speed box. 

2 minutes ago, moley said:

I bought the wife a Mk3 estate earlier this year, 66 plate 1,2 110 SE L. Spent a long time looking around, because there are standard SE L's and others with options. We ended up with electric windows all round, front & rear sensors, panoramic roof and a spare wheel. Go for the SE L 110 with the 6 speed box. 

If you don't mind if I ask how much did you pay for it and what was the milage did you find it at Škoda dealer?.I am only looking via Škoda website for approved used and obviously I am limited for a choice being in mid Wales so its either up north Manchester or Liverpool way. Cardiff down south there is not much in Telford on the offer currently.

19 minutes ago, EdHru said:

If you don't mind if I ask how much did you pay for it and what was the milage did you find it at Škoda dealer?.I am only looking via Škoda website for approved used and obviously I am limited for a choice being in mid Wales so its either up north Manchester or Liverpool way. Cardiff down south there is not much in Telford on the offer currently.

it was from a Skoda main dealer. £13k with 6k on the clock. Ex demonstrator, but the sales guy used it to get to work as well. The mileage was a bit more than I really wanted, but the wife only covers around 4k a year and it was over £5k less than list price new. They gave it an oil service as I w as looking for something with less than 2k on the clock. 

Look in Scotland then there are loads available, or were because they are not selling like hot cakes but were being first registered pre April.

take a cheap flight to Aberdeen or Edinburgh (not Ryanair obviously)

Plenty ex Demonstrators around, they are not like hens teeth.

18 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Look in Scotland then there are loads available, or were because they are not selling like hot cakes but were being first registered pre April.

take a cheap flight to Aberdeen or Edinburgh (not Ryanair obviously)

Plenty ex Demonstrators around, they are not like hens teeth.

Great idea, the wife would kill me if i said, "well see ya, I am off to Scotland now to look for the car...." she is sick of my car hunting as it is, let alone to go up there, hahaha. Unfortunately, for me any real car hunting is over the weekend when i can go to visit dealerships, and internet during the week. 

• Like 1

I was not being too serious but it can be surprising just the difference that some Dealers will accept as an offer compared to their asking prices.

Understood about the good lady, but £500 less or so is nice and she can do some shopping if you take her to collect a car.

There are some nice dealerships you can deal with by phone and email, you just have to remember they just do not have Arnold Clark signs though.

2 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

I was not being too serious but it can be surprising just the difference that some Dealers will accept as an offer compared to their asking prices.

Understood about the good lady, but £500 less or so is nice and she can do some shopping if you take her to collect a car.

There are some nice dealerships you can deal with by phone and email, you just have to remember they just do not have Arnold Clark signs though.

not bad idea, i can bet you that she will say on yr bike, hahahha.

do you recon that for a 17 plate 1.0l SEL 110 bhp with 450 miles on the clock (current demo car metalic blue, registered in July) for £12,995 (with 1 free service, when time comes) is good asking price? or do i wait after their September quarter finishes, you see i am on a company lease car paying £150 per month, and i got a car until i find my own, so longer i keep looking i am paying lease company £150 per month, i would rather put that towards my insurance cost for the year. whats your and other members thoughts on this 110 sel for 12,995?

11 minutes ago, EdHru said:

If you want to know the history of the car ask to see the logbook, note the name and address of the previous owner, and send them a good old fashioned letter. I did this a few years ago when buying our mk2 Fabia as the service book had been lost by the dealer. Following day I got a phone call from the previous owner who told me everything I wanted to know and I felt very reassured the car had been looked after (it's now provided 5 years of trouble free motoring and still going strong). Worth a try for the cost of a stamp. 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2017 at 13:36, Headinawayoffski said:

You can only do what you have done, and that is good.

They can spin it as they want, but if there are ever issues the Dealer Principal knows you asked and employee replied.

In writing was just me saying, trust the friendly sales staff only while you can see them, have any promises in writing with the salespersons name and signature, 

next week they might work in Toy's R us. 

Enjoy whichever car, and feel better that you asked questions and the law means they have to give truthful answers if they know the answers.

Just received this more detailed reply to my direct questions regarding the blue Škoda in Liverpool.

The first registered keeper was a retail customer who funded the car via VWFS (V­olkswagen Financial Services). The car came back to us in pa­rt exchange.

The car is not a man­agement car or demon­strator. It is a part exchange which is now a sock vehicle.

The car is currently owned by ourselves.

The car has had warr­anty work done to the brakes in the past, however this work has rectified the is­sue.

The cars build date was a16/12/2016 nd the car was registered 14/01/2017.

Current manufacturers warranty and Skoda Road Assistance are both valid till 14/­01/2020/

There is no outstand­ing finance on the car this was settled off when the car came in to part exchang­e.

So would this made me a 3rd owner then guys?

• Thanks 1

No, not 3rd keeper if they have the car In Trade, they are the 2nd owner, they are not Registered Keepers, or possibly not.

Buyers Market, just do not pay too much.

I think you need to go and look at the Fabia in Liverpool before you can make your mind up about it.  To complicate matters even more for you, when I bought mine in February 2016, I asked the Liverpool dealer to search out a Skoda owned Fabia automatic with little or no miles on the clock.  I ended up with a silver SE L auto with the 1.2 TSI engine for a few hundred pounds more than the blue car you are considering.  It had 19 miles on the clock and came with the balance of manufacturer's warranty.  I paid around £4k less than the listed price for a new car.  You could ask the dealer to search Skoda stock for you to see what is available.  The mileage on the blue car is a little high but not by too much.  I would definately want the first service doing for free as part of any deal.  The polo seems tempting and will hold its value better but remember a new polo is due for launch any time now and this will probably impact on the value of the older model.  But you could use this as a bargaining ploy with the dealer.  Good luck. 

8 minutes ago, nbramwel said:

I think you need to go and look at the Fabia in Liverpool before you can make your mind up about it.  To complicate matters even more for you, when I bought mine in February 2016, I asked the Liverpool dealer to search out a Skoda owned Fabia automatic with little or no miles on the clock.  I ended up with a silver SE L auto with the 1.2 TSI engine for a few hundred pounds more than the blue car you are considering.  It had 19 miles on the clock and came with the balance of manufacturer's warranty.  I paid around £4k less than the listed price for a new car.  You could ask the dealer to search Skoda stock for you to see what is available.  The mileage on the blue car is a little high but not by too much.  I would definately want the first service doing for free as part of any deal.  The polo seems tempting and will hold its value better but remember a new polo is due for launch any time now and this will probably impact on the value of the older model.  But you could use this as a bargaining ploy with the dealer.  Good luck. 

wow, small world. Thanks for this. yes, mileage on the higher side that i wanted. That Polo in Wirral is £700 more expensive with 110bhp, with half the mileage of Fabia, and i currently drive SEL Polo with 1.4tdi engine, but i just missed the LED lights on mine before they implemented them on SEL model (mine was built 3 weeks before the change), its a company car and its going back now anyway. I will go tomorrow to see it, what do you recon how much they would come down to price wise (what to push for. How do i make sure no to lose the car, but not to sound too desperate in front of the dealer, as obviously they will not just let the car go and make a loss. Any advice on bargaining powers would be greatly appreciated from any member experienced in car purchasing.