1.4 TSI 150PS engine used in Leon FR....

WaveyDavey

Hi guys,

I've started thinking about moving on from the Superb as I've had it over three years now and I'm planning on going for something a little smaller as I no longer need such a large car. One of the options I'm looking at is a 2014, 2015 or 2016 Leon FR with the 150PS 1.4 TSI petrol engine and I'm wondering whether this is the same engine that had all the issues in the Fabia vRS?

Anyone have any info?

Edited by WaveyDavey

Totally different 1.4 TSI with a Turbo & not 1.4 TSI Supercharger & Turbo. (Twinchargers)

VW Group never just make it simple by calling things by different names.

Check if a 1.4 TSI ACT though,  'Active Cylinder Technology'

(COD 'Cylinders on Demand' as called when it is an Audi)

13 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Check if a 1.4 TSI ACT though,  'Active Cylinder Technology'

(COD 'Cylinders on Demand' as called when it is an Audi)

Good or bad of its the ACT version?

Well it is supposed to save you fuel, there are not really any mention of issues online about failures,

they have been on the go for long enough now.

Others that have had a 1.4TSI ACT or 1.4TFSI COD for over 3 years and maybe 40,000 miles could maybe comment on how long the spark plugs lasted and if the MPG was any better than just a 140 or 150 ps 1.4TSI without ACT / COD.

• Like 1

Ah ok..... Cheers for the input guys.

I'll take note then when i start looking properly. Going to head over to the local Seat dealer on Saturday to see what the interior is like "In the flesh" rather than via photos.

I've just PXd my wife's ibiza 1.4 FR ACT with the same engine. Never missed a beat on ooh all of 12,479 miles (so a nice car for someone) and easily managed 43-45mpg on (the few)  longer motorway runs. It's a good engine. 

If theyre still the same as my old cordoba, the plastics will feel lighter and more "recycled" than a skoda/vw.. and the grey shade to the dash etc in most newer seats i just dont like... personal thing..

Be mindful of three things when buying a Leon:

1.  Depreciation - I had a fully loaded 184 TDI FR ST and it was depreciating quicker than I could pay it off.  Dealers flooding the market with nearly new FR's at silly prices  doesn't help the used market and values (for sellers) 

2.  SEAT dealers - Notoriously crap 

3.  Build quality (particularly the interior) - This is a lotto as in almost 4 years of ownership, I never had a single issue with mine.  Though I did soundproof the interior as it was very noisy.   Regular gripes and complaints over on SCN were; interior plastics, interior rattles (lots of!), loose trim, cabin noise, cracking rear lights (I think there was a service bulletin for this)

The Leon however does represent good value based on the tech included as standard on certain trim levels and also the heavily discounted sticker prices but you just have to remember that if a dealer is knocking £5-10k off a list price without even haggling then there has to be a reason.    

Try not to be fooled by all the trinkets and options that they bundle into the Leon though as I can almost guarantee that once the novelty wears off you will miss the quality of your Superb (even one a few years old) 

Or a Leon Cupra 2.0TSI 265 with little miles if one is available at 'Much Cheapness', and leave as is and enjoy.

(never raced or rallied 'much'.)

Leon 1.8TSI FR 180ps are crackers IMO, handle well and possible as economic as a 1.4TSI.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Or a Leon Cupra 2.0TSI 265 with little miles if one is available at 'Much Cheapness', and leave as is and enjoy.

(never raced or rallied 'much'.)

Leon 1.8TSI FR 180ps are crackers IMO, handle well and possible as economic as a 1.4TSI.

Don't see many 265's about, that's for sure. 

Like lots of SEAT models in the UK just the ones that were Demonstrators or 'Management / Media cars are all there are around.

That usually gets you a specced up one if you can come across one for sale.

1.4lt 103kW is the 140PS & does not have ACT.....most of the 1.4lt 110kW 150PS do have it...however some VAG cars were fitted with an non-ACT version.

Look at the camshaft cover should have a few extra large bits on top which look strange..

run it on shell vpower as the variable camshafts real make use of the better octane rating....I know one VW Golf 1.4lt 140ps who had a before & after dyno for a remap & got the 175/180PS ish total for the remap, but was half way there (155/160ish) before because of the better fuel.