Knocking sound when braking.

cmf85

Hi, I think this is probably more of a general motoring problem as opposed to a Rapid specific issue,  but thought I'd see if I could get any ideas here... the car in question: 2014 1.6tdi Rapid SB, 59k miles.

Over the last couple of days I've noticed a knocking sound coming from the rear left side of the vehicle when appliying the brakes. As the car decelerates the noise becomes louder and more noticeable, although the tempo of the noise matches the speed of the car.

I've got to assume that the cause of the noise is the braking system, but any guidance as to which component would be appreciated!

Ta.

Welcome, 

Have you done the most basic thing like checking the wheel bolt tightness and looking at the tyre sidewalls?

Have you jacked up the car and tried to see if anything is amiss before removing the rear wheel to check better?

Best that you do not put off another day of having someone that knows what they are looking at checking it out for you.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Thanks. I did the basic bits and nothing seemed untoward. I've got it booked in for the 60k service on Wednesday and have asked them to investigate. Agreed, it needs someone who knows what they're doing to check it over - so until that happens, it can sit on the drive.

Rear left pads had excessive wear and the brake disc was corroded - all replaced, and knocking has gone.

As an aside, the mechanic said he thought I'd got my money's worth from the parts and noted how the other corners were in such good condition for the mileage. It seems odd to me that one corner would go tits up much sooner than the others, but hey ho.