xenon headlamp part number?

Hello

My car has failed its MOT as a result of failed headlight adjustment mechanism (on both sides...) so tester couldn't get the beam alignment right. They are also clouded / hazed but I can sort that out easily enough - I'm more worried about the lack of ability to set the beam.

I can't find any evidence of a repair kit for the mechanism on the interweb so got a quote for new headlamps (xenons): £600+VAT each! :angry: The shock was offset a bit by the realisation that fitting them would probably double the value of the car. No joy with breakers but I've found some aftermarket stuff on the internet (lots of choice for Halogens but a lot less for Xenon) and I've found a few variants - but they all seem to be a bit different and all claim to fit my car... Does anyone know the VAG or Hella part number(s) so I can compare? Car is 2005 (55) v6 2.5 tdi elegance.

Any help would be very much appreciated

James

I have wondered about that - I think I can see the beams moving when I turn ignition on so I think that the motors are OK. Feedback from tester was that the screws in the adjustment mechanism were turning far too easily and beam was not moving. Will have a play tonight with VCDS and some tools and see if it becomes any clearer (forgive the pun...).

Edited by almostsuperb

The car needs to be connected to VCDS, click on xenon control and the set in reference position first then manually adjusted at the lamp from there, preferably with beam setter for correct alignment, if the adjustment is done first it will set a fault. You will also be able to check for any faults with the level sensors there is one front and back nearside. I see that you have a VCDS so from there it should be straightforward, maybe the adjusters are seized or stripped. The online catalogue is showing only halogen so I would go through the dealer to check part numbers VW could do it for you too, looks like there is a VIN split with different numbers (maybe they changed suppliers).

Mine was built late 2004 November and has Hella Xenons, I replaced the front level recently as I was getting a lights failure message on the dash. 3M sell a good kit for cleaning up the lens but will haze again, applying a plastic sealer helps some but to keep them at their best probably need to be done annually. I replaced my bulbs  with 2 x OSRAM Xenarc D2S Xenon they were ten years old at that stage and had turned a purple colour, the new bulbs combined with proper alignment focussing and cleaning up the lenses transformed the light on the road and night driving. Hope you get it sorted, have you have any fuel pump or other 2.5TDi related issues?

Thanks for the replies - I have got it sorted now without having to double the value of the car with spare parts. First problem was the adjustment: quick look and mess around showed that the white plastic gears (photo below) that can be used to adjust the beam were eroded/corroded (another photo) and not gripping the knurled bit of the adjuster shaft so just spinning freely - found rotodiesel's helpful advice (below) which helped no end and alignment is now OK. No related errors on VCDS so leaving well enough alone on that front.

Second problem was the condition of the headlight units. Bought a Meguiar's kit to restore them - the sanding pads were too fine to deal with the state of the lights (the coarsest pad is 1800 grit) so started with 600 grit (wet n dry), then 1200 and then used the pads with the kit - lots of spraying with water as well. I was a bit concerned at how well these kits would work but have been nicely surprised - the lights are looking nice now (driving at night is also a whole lot better - like I've put new bulbs in...). The idea of sanding headlights still seems a bit weird though but I'll happily do it annually to avoid buying replacements! Now need to stick on some UV barrier solution or something similar.

I managed to find out the Hella part numbers (well, that's what I assume they are!) in case they are of use to anyone else. They were at the bottom of the light and just visible in the gap between the top of the bumper and bottom of the headlight with aid of a torch: 246 745-00L & 246 746-00 R. Photo of one attached.

I've not had any dramas with the car, fuel pump or other v6-specific problems. Bought it just over 5 years ago and put 130000 miles on it (now at 190000) - aside from general maintenance have only had to replace an alternator, a door lock and some window winding cable things so it's done me very well and I hope I'll get a few more miles out of it yet.  

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

• Like 1