in car dash cams

Gissin

how do,

if any of you remember my car was hit in a car park not long ago and unfortunately some (choice words) idiot, let his van with a massive trailer roll back into my car last week, despite me reversing (as much as I could before hitting the car behind) and beeping a lot - unfortunately he wouldn't admit it I had no proof and my only witness drove off.

so I think its time to have a dash cam installed, but before I got out and buy one id like some advice from you helpful lot.

• im looking at nextbase 312 or 512 - I would like to be able to hard wire it in. - any other brands you would recommend?.
  • would like one for the rear too - unsure if it will work well through my tints?

I bought two of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IPDD59W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 off Amazon last September.  One was faulty the other has been great. Refocus on it is very good and the pictures are very clear.  I see they're not avalible ATM..  Halfords wanted £50 to wire it.... !   All I did was use a cycle tyre lever to get the A pillow internal cover off. Put the wire in it and clip it back on. Along the top to the rear view mirror the wire just pushed under the head-liner with my finger's easily.  Then just left a bit of the wire, - power lead, - hanging down to plug into the camera . It sit's just under the rear view mirror.  I cut the plug off the other end, - though it can be just fed to a 12V power socket, - and I fed it into the fuse box at the end of the dash. Then used a 5amp add-a-fuse.. It took me 30 minutes. Never done anything like that before. I watched a youtube video showing how to add-a-fuse. It's so straightforward and Halford wanted 50 quid !  

I have been in situations where someone is being an A*S and I have just pointed to the camera... I highly recommend fitting one.. Even when I had one in the back which wasn't working it stopped the tailgater's..   

Edited by 2goat

Pay your money and take your choice, there are plenty to consider.

I have a cheap £10 HD DVR 2.5" TFT LCD Screen type fitted front and rear on both my Octavia's and have put small signs warning that they are recording. Just plugged into the accessory socket when in need using a multi adaptor.

Footage has been forwarded to the Police following an incident and resulted in prosecution for the offender.

A second occasion it showed who had caused a collision and helped the Insurance company prove fault. 

I have just fitted a Blackvue dashcam to my car,i hardwired it in using the magic pro box as that lets you use the parking function of the camera (you set up the box to record for a certain amount of time whilst parked up & if the voltage drops below 12v then it shuts the camera off) as i like the extra protection whilst parked up. 

1 hour ago, mikey vrs said:

I have just fitted a Blackvue dashcam to my car,i hardwired it in using the magic pro box as that lets you use the parking function of the camera (you set up the box to record for a certain amount of time whilst parked up & if the voltage drops below 12v then it shuts the camera off) as i like the extra protection whilst parked up. 

I have front and rear Blackvues fitted also with the Magic Box Pro, works a treat.

1 hour ago, mikey vrs said:

sounds just about perfect - have you had a look at recording quality at night ?

do you have any model numbers at all?

32 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have front and rear Blackvues fitted also with the Magic Box Pro, works a treat.

how did you wire the reverse in ?

ive already got a piggy back in for my amp

do you recon I should be ok adding to more hard wires into the fuse box, for the front and rear?

Edited by Gissin

21 minutes ago, Gissin said:

how did you wire the reverse in ?

ive already got a piggy back in for my amp

do you recon I should be ok adding to more hard wires into the fuse box, for the front and rear?

The rear camera is powered by the front camera.

Mines a 650S-2CH     Link>>>    blackvue 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I have a Nextbase 512 hard wired into rear wiper fuse. Very impressed with it, only issue i have is the windscreen mount hangs low down. You can search ebay for 'StealthMounts' they do a really small 3d printed mount.

blob.thumb.png.cb1f055f4b9db09ac884b67677135226.png

Edited by Hough1981
Spelling Mistake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The rear camera is powered by the front camera.

Mines a 650S-2CH     Link>>>    blackvue 

ouch £350 - looks good though, that was the one I was looking at when you first suggested it. I like them being out the way compared to the nextbase ones

I hear the nextbase 512gw has an add on camera in development for the rear similar to the blackvue design depending on when that comes out could be an idea to keep costs down. ( im in the process of moving house, so every little helps :) )

On 9/22/2017 at 11:51, Gissin said:

sounds just about perfect - have you had a look at recording quality at night ?

do you have any model numbers at all?

The model i fitted was the Blackvue DR450-1CH im happy with the recording quality,not the cheapest dashcam you can buy,the dashcam,magic power box & a GPS adaptor cost me around £170 all in. 

I went for a budget cam for my first venture into the dash cam market: a Spytec A118C, about £45

It has a capacitor, not a battery which may make it last longer as I believe it is often the batteries that cause the demise of these dash cams.

Footage is good quality and you can clearly see number plates. No issues in the 3 months I have had it.

It is very small and discreet compared to many. I didn't want it to be too obvious and attract thieves. You can also add a GPS module.

Given the number of idiots driving around these days I am much happier knowing that I may have some evidence in case of an accident.

As a bonus it took some great footage of scenic driving on a recent Lake District holiday, not something I thought I would use it for.

There are reviews of a number of dash cams on you tube that may be useful.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:51, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi,

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

Hard wired or plugin?

12 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Hard wired or plugin?

12 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Removable dash cams will not attract tea leafs!

Remember that unless you've losdsa spare cash.

I don't think it would matter how its installed the discount would be for having it there to prove liability.

hard wired wont affect you being able to unplug them - you can hard wire the blackvue and nextbase (not checked any others) and remove the camera section only - in the same way you can hard wire a sat nav in and just remove the sat nav

7 hours ago, Gissin said:

do you know if you can add a rear facing camera on this one ?

I'm not too sure to be honest. the 1 ive got just sticks its self onto the screen just like a removeable satnav.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 17:20, Rhodri said:

Another question for Dan:

What happens in the event of a claim when there has been a dash cam failure, either camera or user, resulting in no footage of the accident?

Silly question, just think about it ,,,,,,

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 17:20, Rhodri said:

Another question for Dan:

What happens in the event of a claim when there has been a dash cam failure, either camera or user, resulting in no footage of the accident?

• Sponsor

Hi again,

Interesting question and if you were provided a significant discount off your premium for fitment of a dash cam , failure on the part of the user could have implications in the settlement of the claim.  If it was actual equipment then that would be an issue for the manufacturer.  I

f you were the subject of a non-fault claim I'm sure you'd wish to make the footage forthcoming to insurers and the relevant bodies - Police, claims handling firms etc? 

Dan