in car dash cams

Gissin

Dan, Thanks for your reply.

Yes I was interested at how a claim may be affected by lack of footage if a discount had been applied for a dash cam.

My cam is not hard wired so I wouldn't want a discount as I can't guarantee it will be plugged in and recording. Even if connected there is no guarantee that the correct footage will be recorded / saved. I suspect not many people check the footage from their cams on a regular basis. A bit like automatic computer backups: most of us assume they are all working in the background but few check regularly and attempt a trial recovery from backup, Even IT professionals are guilty of this.

7 hours ago, Rhodri said:

I suspect not many people check the footage from their cams on a regular basis.

Why should they, if nothing has happened what is the point.

Some people drive long distance.

18 hours ago, Wayne Kerr said:

Why should they, if nothing has happened what is the point.

Some people drive long distance.

Since I may rely on the footage in the event of an accident / insurance claim, it makes sense to me to check that it is working periodically.

You obviously have faith in the reliability of dash cams. Maybe I read too many reviews of dodgy dash cams before I made my purchase!

• 1 month later...

We bought the Nextbase 402g on the back of it being the Which test winner. One was faulty out of the box. Nextbase customer services were useless but Costco exchanged it no problem. Once we had them working in both cars using the Nextbase hardwire kit, they both failed within a year, again Nextbase customer service were useless so back to Costco they went for a refund and were replaced with Garmin dashcams which have been faultless.

Given the choice now I would probably try the Blackvue as they are more discreet when fitted.

9 hours ago, Gissin said:

fitted one to my girlfriends car as was impressed with it so I've gone an brought one now 412GW with hardwire kit for £99.

You've got too much money mate, got mine on ebay £8.90, works fine.

I have a Dashcam bought from Amazon. Quality is very good. Battery life is shockingly bad. I hard wired the cable in and ran it through the front of the headlining near the windscreen. I wanted it to run whilst the car was parked up at night as it has a proximity sensor and night view. I had it installed for a couple of weeks before I got a letter from our local police neighbourhood patrol who advised me to remove it at night as thieves target these. I considered that the cost of replacing a broken window and damage to car would be more than the cost of the odd parking scuff here and there. Still use it on longer runs and motorways but short trips it lives in the jumbo box with a dead battery.

13 minutes ago, Golf-Fiend said:

I have a Dashcam bought from Amazon. Quality is very good. Battery life is shockingly bad. I hard wired the cable in and ran it through the front of the headlining near the windscreen. I wanted it to run whilst the car was parked up at night as it has a proximity sensor and night view. I had it installed for a couple of weeks before I got a letter from our local police neighbourhood patrol who advised me to remove it at night as thieves target these. I considered that the cost of replacing a broken window and damage to car would be more than the cost of the odd parking scuff here and there. Still use it on longer runs and motorways but short trips it lives in the jumbo box with a dead battery.

My Cash Cam records Via a Proximity sensor whilst parked up. There are no visible lights to show anything is recording in the car. Is there any lights displayed on your Dash Cam, if so can you turn them off, cover them with tape ?

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

5 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

My Cash Cam records Via a Proximity sensor whilst parked up. There are no visible lights to show anything is recording in the car. Is there any lights displayed on your Dash Cam, if so can you turn them off, cover them with tape ?

Mine does (or would too) but it is visible being suckered on the winsdcreen next to the mirror even in "stealth mode"

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:50, Gissin said:

just been checking the footage from night time drives, can't see the number plates of oncoming cars even when moving the video frame by frame.

Everyone else in the same boat as this?

standing traffic or ones driving in the same direction are fine though

any one this question?

On 11/15/2017 at 21:50, Gissin said:

just been checking the footage from night time drives, can't see the number plates of oncoming cars even when moving the video frame by frame.

Everyone else in the same boat as this?

standing traffic or ones driving in the same direction are fine though

Not really any cameras I have seen that you can be assured to be able to read oncoming number plates at night, be lucky to read ones of cars parked in most cases. 

• Like 1

Last week a skip lorry reversed into me whilst I was parked.I have front and back dash cams.Cost of repair they tell me is about £2800 to £3500, which means the Octy is a right off.Lucky me they are doing repair this week.Put my front dash cam on the pc and nothing,jeez whats wrong?. The battery was flat and with the ignition off nothing worked.Tried back one and that was the same, showed right up to parking car then blank. Had the cams for about five years and have checked them few times and the results were good. They came from Coopers of Stortford and cost about £29 at the time.Looks like I am in the market for couple of more that have good batteries .

34 minutes ago, pastiche said:

Last week a skip lorry reversed into me whilst I was parked.I have front and back dash cams.Cost of repair they tell me is about £2800 to £3500, which means the Octy is a right off.Lucky me they are doing repair this week.Put my front dash cam on the pc and nothing,jeez whats wrong?. The battery was flat and with the ignition off nothing worked.Tried back one and that was the same, showed right up to parking car then blank. Had the cams for about five years and have checked them few times and the results were good. They came from Coopers of Stortford and cost about £29 at the time.Looks like I am in the market for couple of more that have good batteries .

Gutted about the car :o 

As for the cameras, generally speaking inbuilt batteries only record for a very short time and are by no means intended as a comprehensive means of recording when parked. Additionally where most are unplugged or power supply cut off if hard wired into a switched live feed the cameras tend to automatically shut down, not keep running until the battery has run out (if specifically set up to work like that the battery would be totalled very quickly. If left plugged in or hard wired to a permanent live power source and cameras loop record you will only ever have footage of the last hour, 2, 3 etc or whatever your memory capacity is. Most have a proximity / parking mode feature allowing it to automatically start recording when something moves near it (not ideal for street parking, although sensitivity can be altered on most).

Just about any you buy these days will have all these features and more as long as you set them up correctly to utilise it. A lot of folk use things like power magic boxes in the loop too so that if live all the time it will be cut off once the cars battery gets down to whatever voltage you set for it. Personally I don't bother as I have accidentally left cameras running non stop for 5/6 days and had no issue starting after (at an airport lol).

16 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Not really any cameras I have seen that you can be assured to be able to read oncoming number plates at night, be lucky to read ones of cars parked in most cases. 

Thought as much didn't know if the blackvue ones were much better at this as I almost brought one

15 hours ago, pastiche said:

sorry to hear that fella,

as Fubar stated and in this thread the Blackvue have the magic pro box and some other cameras have external batteries.

The nextbase one I brought has an inbuilt battery which I've set up to record for 5 minutes if the g sensor (not proximity) picks up anything I've had it running on loop and seems to last for around 30 minutes - although if using a permanent live it will constantly record in parking mode

My Blackvue ( 650s-2CH ) Front and Rear cameras  record whiles driving, in parking mode and Event mode they both go to sleep and are woken up by a proximity sensor and record for one minute.  They are hard wired into the fuse box and I have a magic Pro box to prevent complete battery drain when in parking mode and there are no visible lights to draw attention to the cameras.  It's like 24 hour recording. You can have the cameras send you a text if your car has been collided with when in Parking Mode if the G sensor is woken up. Also useful if someone it trying to remove your wheels or even the car ( G sensor activated ) They are also WiFi enabled so you can download footage to your phone/tablet and if you enable the Blackvue Cloud app you can view what your cameras are looking at anywhere in the world. All you need your phone/tablet to be connected to WiFi.

It's very clever.........

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I'm still running my 2 original build mobius ones I got in 2013 and struggling to find anything worthy of replacing them to be a worthy footage quality upgrade :( Techmoan did his first dashcam review in a year there for one of the 'Yi' models which is meant to be pretty good and he highly recommends it, but after downloading his raw footage, it's almost as crap at blurry/blocky close proximity footage (especially passing trees or hedges lining roads) as the blackvue range, which is useless for me in a rural area. Not that either are bad, just not as good as the mobius in these environments, while being a nicer pic in town, on motorways and any open spaces. Low fixed bit rates are criminal! A crying shame as they were on offer on amazon's black Friday at £69.99 and I'd have bought 4 for the 2 cars :( 

37 minutes ago, Gissin said:

anyone know of any fuses that are permanent live? currently mines piggybacked into the rear wiper

Fuse 26 up 2 and left 3 from your rear wiper one. (12v socket for combi's I think) May not have a fuse in it, but likely still contacts in there live ready to go. 

Fuse 24 up 2 left 1 cigarette lighter one

Edited by FUBAR

1 hour ago, Gissin said:

I'll post some of my footage up later on today, I'm pretty happy with it.

It's ok I could post great BlackVue footage in town or on a open road, but also footage that a £8 camera would destroy on closer proximity high density scenery roads. The big issues with this seemed to start post 380 at around the DR500's time, the 550 was a little better and the 650 half as good again with this issue, but it's shocking that a 5 year old designed camera that I paid £37 for over 4 years ago out performs it on quality of footage in such an environment today. Also the current 650s-2ch has only a 1080p@30fps front and not even 1080p rear which is just odd to be one of the lowest specc'd and ridding the highest price point at same time in the market. 

Edited by FUBAR