2 question after long trip.

Hi, as a fairly new Scout owner, and having just come back from a holiday in Northumberland, I have 2 questions I hope people can answer.

Firstly I am surprised that I did not need to top up the oil, in fact the level on the dipstick seemed to be almost max. Unusual after at least 700 miles of travel, including 500 or so of towing. Second, I have noticed an unusual thump, or a very slight clonk felt through the car, coming from the underneath, when reversing a short distance, i.e. From a parking space, and with the wheel turned, to me it almost feels like the transmission? Sometimes it feels like the wheels have hit something, even though I know they cannot have. Normal handling and driving seem to be unaffected. Thanks for any input. Nick.

For the oïl top up I guess it dépends on the engine you've got in your car & you seem to have a good one ;)

I've noticed with mine of very long trips (~1000km) the oïl level drops noticably (maybe 300ml after 2 trips), i guess from running a long time with very hot/less viscous oïl a bit more is burnt off.

However, Under normal conditions I haven't actually needed to top up between the extended services.

Some users also dont need to top up at all, others report a half litre or so every now & then.

For the reverse noise, I think there was another thread here about it.

Perhaps someone else can remember the cause.

You don't have your car details in your profile. I'm not au fait with engine types either.But my 1.4TSI 150 hp seems to have a lower oil consumption than my previous 2l diesel. I think a top up of 0.5l has been needed over the past year, 5000 mile.No idea about the reverse thump.

For the noise in reverse, I have the same on mine. Took me some time before I realize that it is the gear lever !

It's an automatic one, when you engage the reverse you have to push the lever down... for some reason mine jump back up a little when it's engaged and make this noise, you can also feel the vibration.

Try reversing and keep 1 finger on the lever, you'll feel it directly.